July 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    So got me a new fancy pants glucose meter that syncs to my iPhone to log data. Now maybe I will stop losing all my records and tracking AND when I show up to the doc and they are like "So what are your readings?" I will be less deer in the headlights and more "here look".

Probably not, but worth a shot! Maybe. Meters are cheap, it is the strips that kill you.

Tried it out and it measured 92, 1 hour after a 0 carb meal so I think it works :D The big test will be tonight after my next dose of steroids.

A nurse I spoke with suggested that I go much lower carb until I am off the steroids. I guess I better try that. Only 4 more days.
  • PastorVincent
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Hey all.

@PastorVincent it's all hitting you at once eh!

Kids, they know how to pierce your heart.

Definitely, on both comments! :D
  • PastorVincent
    shanaber wrote: »
    @pastorvincent, @rheddmobile and @T1DCarnivoreRunner - I did not know those things affect your blood glucose. I have never had to monitor mine but I will check with my husband to see if he sees the impact. He has to take steroids somewhat regularly for severe asthma.

It can cause issues, but that does not mean it will. WebMD puts it this way:
    This medication may rarely make your blood sugar rise, which can cause or worsen diabetes. Tell your doctor right away if you have symptoms of high blood sugar such as increased thirst/urination. If you already have diabetes, check your blood sugar regularly as directed and share the results with your doctor. Your doctor may need to adjust your diabetes medication, exercise program, or diet.

I have been eating 0 carbs since noon and took the Prednisone and had no spike. So it is manageable still, but I will some carbs tomorrow and watch it. If it starts to spike, I will shift back to 0 carbs.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    @pastorvincent, @rheddmobile and @T1DCarnivoreRunner - I did not know those things affect your blood glucose. I have never had to monitor mine but I will check with my husband to see if he sees the impact. He has to take steroids somewhat regularly for severe asthma.

This medication may rarely make your blood sugar rise, which can cause or worsen diabetes. Tell your doctor right away if you have symptoms of high blood sugar such as increased thirst/urination. If you already have diabetes, check your blood sugar regularly as directed and share the results with your doctor. Your doctor may need to adjust your diabetes medication, exercise program, or diet.

I have been eating 0 carbs since noon and took the Prednisone and had no spike. So it is manageable still, but I will some carbs tomorrow and watch it. If it starts to spike, I will shift back to 0 carbs.

It may also be that your body managed the glycogenolysis by releasing extra insulin. That's the difference for us type 1's... our bodies can't do that, so we see the increased glucose when our normal basal insulin just isn't enough.
  • PastorVincent

It may also be that your body managed the glycogenolysis by releasing extra insulin. That's the difference for us type 1's... our bodies can't do that, so we see the increased glucose when our normal basal insulin just isn't enough.

True, but my system does not seem to play by the typical rules. Without intervention, I will easily go from 300+ to 20 in less than an hour. Talk about a trip...

I am in a more rare case I think than most, but I can normally control it well with diet/exercise and do not need medication. I may someday, but hopefully, that is far off. But might be here now. Might be the spike I saw yesterday was not from the meds but me getting lax about diet. After all, I only checked BECAUSE I knew there was a risk with the med.

There are a lot of maybes right now, so for now, I just watch and record. In a few weeks if I have been diligent I should know where I stand better.
  • PastorVincent
    The premature steak... it isn't ready for consumption just yet:
    jcrgn98ljhu0.jpg

Yeah, that is a bit rare for my tastes.

• PastorVincent
    Teerai wrote: »
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Hey all.

This morning when I was measuring out my breakfast my 5yr old daughter asked me to measure hers to. It broke my heart. I don't want her to become obsessed with food like I am. I know she's just emulating mummy, and that's fine. I explained that's she doesn't need to track her food.

So I'm going to stop tracking. Or stop being obvious about it? I've been tracking on and off for a couple of years now, not religiously but enough. I'm going to go back to how I lost the weight to begin with - moderation.

Kids, they know how to pierce your heart.

Avidkeo,
    I see this as only positive.
    I think measuring food is a skill all kids should learn!

We live in a world that now has such abundance of food product that we have a world wide obesity problem.
    So many people have no idea what a serving of 100 calories looks like in any food.
    To learn the real size of a suggested serving is valuable knowledge!
    Can I suggest you simply ponder how you want to teach this new learning moment and make it a strength in her life!
    <3

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. There needs to be a balance between teaching portion control and avoiding obsession. I wish I had pulled it off with my son, but alas he is a really good eater!
  • PastorVincent
    @ContraryMaryMary great report! Sounds like a fun event!
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    @ContraryMaryMary great report! And great job on the races!!!
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,408 Member
    @ContraryMaryMary outstanding race report! Sounded like a great weekend of running. Glad your Achilles didn't hurt. More evidence that my mantra holds true...."running cures everything" 😆
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    @ContraryMaryMary great job on your big race weekend! So glad your Achilles seems good. Enjoy your massage and recovery and take it very easy before your half.