NON WW & WW NEWBIES, OUR NEW LIFE, THE START OF SOMETHING WONDERFUL

Replies

• TrishasTime
    TrishasTime Posts: 588 Member
    GM everyone

@joannadavison - Hello - I am from Aus. Goodness me when we are in the very high '30s and into the '40s during December to Feb. The kids still go to school when it is hot but most schools have at least ceiling fans now. I am a previous LTM but just do the MFP now

@trooworld - Oh no - I hope your leak gets rectified soon. How your puppy coping with the diabetes injections now.

@theslightedgeforever - Having a thing scan your food as you pop it into your mouth just seems too scary for me

Still moving furniture here. I hope it uses some calories

Take care
  • renaegry
    renaegry Posts: 1,253 Member
    Good evening all. Currently doing WW but stuck in a rut right now. I recently got a new fitbit versa which is my new motivation. So I thought I would start using myfitnesspal again along with WW. I Like the community etc. Canceled my WW membership but have it till April. Hopefully I can make some progress. I enjoy the calorie counting firm believer of cals in vs cals out. But definitely have picked up some healthy eating habits from using WW. Goal is to lose 10lbs and gain and tone up some muscle. I am married with 2 kids a boy (14) and a girl (11).
  • theslightedgeforever
    theslightedgeforever Posts: 2,196 Member
    edited July 2019
    @joannadavison Welcome to the group! I was an online WW member so I never had the pleasure of the workshops. I think finding online videos about motivation and whatever you are looking for is a good substitute. Some people like the socialization of workshops because that might be their only contact with real people other than work. It depends I think on what people are looking for and need. I'm in that perimenopausal stage too.

@Trishastime Do you all have AC in Australia? The mention of fans made me wonder. On the scanner thing. Which part would be scary for you? I think of it like the Fitbit on my wrist right now. It would be nice not to have to track and forget something. It's the forgetting something that seems to happen more and more. The technology is getting closer. I saw an app where you can take a pic of your plate and it will enter the food on a tracker.

@renaegry Welcome to the group! I've had my fitbit I think 7 years now. Well, not the same one. I went from the kind you keep in your pocket or bra to the wrist one. I'm a calorie counter too but I'm trying to learn how to have those calories come from healthy foods instead of things like crackers and popcorn. I was losing weight for a while then went on an extended "vacation" and now seem to be at a standstill. I'll be glad to have your support and hope to support you as well.
  • theslightedgeforever
    @trooworld I would think September would start cooling down but then who would think that Europe would be as hot as it is. I guess old rules don't apply anymore. I always think Labor Day and then good temps start. Yikes on your leak. I hope it didn't do any damage. How are you doing on tracking and water?

I had a productive day in my personal life but not in my health journey. I am starting to feel better. I have 5 months left in this year to make 2019 a success regarding my weight/health.

Is everyone thinking about August goals?
  • TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member

@joannadavison, hello!! You are most welcome to just jump in and join us in our conversations. I still attend my WW workshops. I do like the support from the meetings and the scale accountability. I’m not following the WW Freestyle plan but that is ok. I feel that I’ve already given them so much of my money that I really want to see it through and get my lifetime pass. 😊

@renaegry, welcome!! My Fitbit is one of my motivations too. I just got the Charge 3 and love how it will vibrate on my wrist to remind me to get up and move. 😊

@trooworld, did you get the leak in your ceiling fixed? That has to be so frustrating! :/

@theslightedegeforever, can you believe over half the year is already gone! Let’s make a plan to make these last 5 months the best months EVER!! B)

Good morning! This moving thing is HARD!! :# I spent all day Saturday painting my bright pink laundry room. It took three coats of paint! My poor body is still dying from climbing up and down the ladder all day. But it looks great and shouldn't offend any potential buyers. B) Today, we are having the house pressure washed. Our house is bright white and with all the humidity and pollen in Georgia, it's so dirty looking up close. Next week we have pictures scheduled so I have to really kick it in gear over the next few days to make this place look the best I can. I just want it to sell quickly!!

My weight is up a little so today I plan to fast for a long as I can and stick to my eating plan. I've been munching on nuts wayyyy more than I should. I might have to cut them out of my life. :'( I have two days before weigh-in so maybe I can still lose a little. Have a great day! <3
  • trooworld
    trooworld Posts: 5,783 Member
    @joannadavison Well, you hit the nail on the head Joanna because I live in San Diego! Isn't that funny? Is Durham a big place? I am not sure I've heard of it, but I might have (I might be confusing it with someplace else). I've heard that it's been really hot over there. You confirm what I've been hearing on the news. Yikes! I think the workshops are really helpful but after a few years of being on WW, I started to see the same topics. It's really up to you to decide when they aren't useful anymore.

@TrishasTime Well, the condo above fixed it on their end and it's not leaking in our condo anymore. So, I think it's okay? Our pup is doing great on the injections, he actually sits still now and lets us give him the injections and then we give him a freeze-dried liver treat afterward. He's back to his old self, too. Thanks for asking! Good luck with the furniture moving.

@renaegry Hi and welcome! You'll find some of us are doing cals in cals out, some are doing intermittent fasting, some are doing intermittent fasting and keto, some are doing WW...the important thing is we are all working on ourselves. It's good to have you here!

@theslightedgeforever Not here, September gets some of the hottest temperatures. At least some of September. Think 100F. I didn't track over the weekend, but I tracked Monday-Friday last week. Water was better than it has been. Thanks for the reminder of how many months there are left in the year. Wow, I can't believe the year is flying by! I am thinking of August goals.

@TeresaW1020 The condo above us fixed their leak, so the leak isn't happening through the light fixture anymore and I think that takes care of it. Since it was just a short time, I don't think there was any further damage. At least I am hoping. It must be a lot of work, getting a house ready to sell. Good luck!

Hi gals. I didn't get what I wanted to get done this weekend done (hang up new artwork), but I did hang up my sweaters which was a big deal lol. And we got groceries from Trader Joe's again, so we are set for the week for food.

EMPOWERED.
    July goals: track 6 out of 7 days, drink 100 oz of liquids a day, lose 2 lbs
  • renaegry
    Thanks for the welcome @TeresaW1020, @trooworld and @theslightedgeforever. Plan today is to get a 40 min jog in ( 5 min warm up /cool down and 30 min jog) followed by daily dose workout on fitbit and to get back eating health ( for the next few days anyways) back to the lake on Thursday and its the long weekend and my hubby is home. Will definitely be some beer. Lol

@TeresaW1020 Hope your move hours well and you still your house quickly. I HATE painting. Lol

@theslightedgeforever my August goals are to start some weight training. Picking up a used set of Olympic bar with weights dumb bells a bench and stand with tricep bar. Hoping to tone up and gain some muscle.
  • JoDavo66
    JoDavo66 Posts: 526 Member
    Hi all- thank you all for the welcome.
    @TrishasTime I don't think they have air-con or cooling systems in the schools for those temperatures. Not normal, apparently roads melting!😮 thankfully cooler here now and presumably there too.
    @trooworld wow!! Durham is small city but the county area is much bigger (small compared to CA)- covers rural countryside to small sea-side towns. https://www.thisisdurham.com/ I live in village on ourskirts of the city.
    @theslightedgeforever hopefully you can keep me motivated when loss not happening/going slow- there seems to be no pattern.
    @TeresaW1020 I know what you mean. I'd like the gold member's pack. I think I'll see what happens over next few weeks.

I was shocked to have lost 4lb this week- normally I loose in half pounds!!
    My goal for the 6 week school holiday is to keep tracking accurately as possible & stick to WW points while keeping an eye on calories too.
  • TrishasTime
    Gm everyone

@renaegry - Hello there - I am in Aus - used to be an LTM, I am now counting calories along with doing IF. Mother of 2 sons and Nanna to 2 grandchildren. Welcome aboard.

@theslightedgeforever - LOL - we most certainly do not all have A/C here. With the new houses being built now - it almost comes as a standard feature. There are many homes that do not have it (about 40%). I grew up without air conditioning. When it is really hot alot of people are at work, go the cinemas, shopping centres or beach to keep cool during the week. Weekends, Beach Pool, shopping centres and cinemas where the go and I imagine still are.
    Fitbit - you can take off your wrist, the photo thing you can take the pictures you want. I think the scanner thing for your mouth would not be able to be controlled by you.

@teresaw1020 - it will be all worth it in the end : ) Just think how many calories you are using. We are still moving furniture here. The carpet layer is here at the moment. So exciting to get new carpets.

@trooworld - How is your tracking going? if you get your foods from Trader Joes then it must be easier to track.

@joannadavison - Congrats on the loss

Take care
  • theslightedgeforever
    @teresaw1020 You made me laugh about the money and lifetime passes. lol Maybe you are just retaining water with all those salty nuts. Like @trooworld and her move, it will all be over soon and then you can just enjoy your new house.

@trooworld You know you were talking about the same topics popping up on WW. It reminded me of that saying, There is nothing new under the sun. I think the same topics pop up because some of us haven't internalized the topics the first time around. lol I think it's always good to go back to the basics. Eat less, move more. Although I don't like the way WW kept changing the program especially for the online users. Lots of people lost weight on Smartpoints versus Freestyle. I do get the reason they wanted to change it but having people feel successful while they learn new eating habits would be a win-win. Some of us are slower learners. :/

@renaegry I'll have to check out that daily dose thing on Fitbit. I hate painting too. Although I'm thinking about a late fall makeover of my family room. We'll see. Your August goals sound good.

@joannadavison I loved the website link. I'm a big fan of architecture. I have a fantasy about going to England and riding a bike around looking at all the architecture. Of course that means I'm not looking at the road and then the movie plays in my head about the biker in the comedy movie European Vacation. Did you ever see that? So I'm hoping one day I'll make it to England. It looks so beautiful there. Hopefully our motivation patterns won't be at the same time. Unless of course we are 95% riding high. Woohoo on the big loss. I like to call that a WHOOSH!

@trishastime on the scanner thing, it might be a good idea not to have it controlled by me since I'm not doing such a hot job on the control thing myself in regards to tracking. 95% of the time I do track as I'm eating. It's just the occasional snack that I forget to write down and then I remember it later and that makes me go over my calories. Had I remembered, I could have stopped in time. I grew up with fans. I still tell my kids who are adults, don't put your fingers in the fan. Which my 30 year old will put his right up to the fan and say see mom, what's going to happen. Because of safety features now than when I was a child, the guard openings are much closer together you can't get your fingers in there. I tell him one day he'll lose a finger and then I'll have to take him to the ER as usual. We spent his childhood doing that. Some kids just don't learn. Ooh you're moving furniture too. I think change is good once in a while.

So I worked today on my carb cycling schedule. Getting things set up for August. I'm still working on the individual meal plans. My goals will be learning to follow that and intentional exercise. I think I'm going to move around the equipment in my gym. Maybe it will look like a new gym to me and be more inviting. I really have no excuses except for myself.

• TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    Good morning! :)

@trooworld, I’m glad the leak didn’t cause any damage! I was talking to my husband last night about unpacking. I saw this article that said that you should just unpack everything as fast as possible and then work on organizing later. That should be easy enough. Hanging all our artwork and family pictures will be another story! :D

@renaegry, sounds like you are doing great with your workouts. Enjoy the lake and the beer! 😊

@Joannadavison, Durham is so beautiful!! I would love to travel over there and wander around old castles and cathedrals. And the views are incredible!! Is Durham a real touristy place to visit? Congrats on the 4 lb loss!! B)

@TrishasTime, I think I would die if I didn’t have air conditioning. Actually, there is no thinking…I would die!! :D Yes, new carpets are great! All my bedrooms in the new house will have carpets. I hope I like the color that they picked out. :)

@theslightedgeforever, I think I was retaining water from using muscles in my glutes that NEVER get used while I was climbing up and down that ladder. Although, you have a point about the nuts and I am eating more of them than I really should. So how does the carb cycling work? Is that your plan for August?

I have another very busy day prepping the house for potential buyers. The pressure washer did a great job on the house, walks and driveway. And while it’s not perfect it is super clean. B) Today, we have a guy coming out to replace the tint that is on our office windows. My little dog over the last three years has scratched up the windows so bad with her outrage over squirrels and lizards being in the yard. I will spend the day decluttering and cleaning. Pictures are scheduled for next Wednesday and then we go on the market. Weight was back down this morning, so I was happy about that. We will see what the WW scale gives me tomorrow! :)
  • trooworld
    @renaegry That sounds like a good plan. How long have you been jogging? Beer is a good thing lol. I love beer. I live in craft beer mecca lol (Southern California). Enjoy!

@joannadavison Durham looks positively charming and beautiful. Thanks for sharing! Congrats on the loss, well done! Your goal sounds great.

@TrishasTime I tracked 5 out of 7 days last week, which isn't too far off from my goal. Most of my foods are from Trader Joe's which makes it easier for sure. I'm pretracked up to dinner today. I did not track yesterday.

@theslightedgeforever Yes, I think some people get upset when they change the program: they just get used to the program and start losing and then WW changes it. I can see your point about the same topics popping up over and over again.

@TeresaW1020 Well, that remains to be seen, it *looks* like there is no damage, but what can we NOT see? We are still in the process of hanging pictures. That is the tricky part, you are right! :) Good luck with that. I am so happy for you, getting a bigger home, a place for a garden!!! *** SKINNY VIBES ***

EMPOWERED.
  • renaegry
    Morning all.

@trooworld I have been jogging off and on for years. In June I completed the C25K program and since then 3-4 days a week I get out and walk 5 min jog 30 min and walk 5 min. Been increasing my speed. Currently getting in around 5.5km in that time.

@TrishasTime Thanks for the welcome

@theslightedgeforever In the Fitbit Coach some workouts are for free but I broke down and paid the yearly membership. I like how I can access the program I picked right from my watch. Don’t have to be staring at my phone.

@TeresaW1020 Happy cleaning today

Won’t be a great day today. Off to Saskatoon to pick up weight set so 5 hours in a vehicle won’t be great for my steps. Lol
  • JoDavo66
    @theslightedgeforever @TrishasTime @trooworld @TeresaW1020 thanks for comments on Durham. It is a lovely place to live. It does get a lot of tourists as the Cathedral is quite historically significant- the Castle now belongs to University and the main part is basically a big dorm block & not as nice inside as it is outside!! Parts of the Castle are still open to visitors. If you're ever in England....... I can tour guide! 😂😂
    @renaegry hi! Hope you managed some steps today on your trip. I took my youngest (13) plus my cousin & her 2 kids to sea-side. 2.5 hours each way as we went to place we went on holiday as kids. She's just moved back to UK so kids haven't seen these places- sort of Staycation showing them around
    @theslightedgeforever what is carb cycling?
    @TeresaW1020 I am sure big muscles hold water when you've worked hard! My whole body is like a sponge!! 🤣🤣🎉
  • TrishasTime
    GM everyone

Happy hump day :)

@trooworld - Good for you for tracking - proud of you. Think where you were this time last month

@teresaw1020 - Ooh... I have an insane method for moving (remember I married a police officer who was constantly transferred). On every single box, I pack, I write a list of exactly every item that went in it and then I a coloured post it on it (each room has a different colour). I give the colour code to the movers so that they put the box in the right rooms, therefore we are set to go when we get to that room. You really do not realise how much time is spent looking things and opening boxes only to relais you have to be in another room. I carry a small box with me for essentials (toilet paper, light globes, coffee etc). I can proudly say, I can unpack a 5 bdrm, 2 bath house with a family room in 1.5 days. Experience is everything (LOL)

@theslightedgeforever - okay - take a picture of the food for each day, make sure you have written it all down before you sit down to dinner, that way you do not go over and then delete that day's food pictures ready for the next.

@renaegry - Hope you can get some incidental steps in on your journey.

@joannadavison - Hope you are doing okay

Take care
  • theslightedgeforever
    @teresaw1020 Carb cycling is just having days that are low carb, medium carb, and high carb. There are lots of different variations I see as I research this. I suppose the point is find the one that fits your individual lifestyle. One article tied it into the phases of your menstrual cycle too. Eating more carbs the first 2 weeks of your cycle and then less carbs during the later two weeks. Although I haven't figured out how that and PMS cravings work together unless that's the whole point of it all. To silence those cravings. I guess I'll be the guinea pig and see. Yes, that's my August plan. We'll see how the whole thing works and I have to be careful of perfectionism and just not tossing the whole thing out but tweaking come September.

@trooworld Tracking 5 out of 7 is awesome. Major progress for you. Keep it up again this week.

@renaegry I have tried so many times to do that c25k. Still haven't conquered it. Although now hearing about hip and knee replacements and how running might affect that, I don't even know if I want to do it. I haven't completely taken it off my bucket list yet though. Thanks for the info on the Fitbit Coach

@joannadavison Read my answer above to @teresaw1020 about carb cycling. I can see the advantages of why this would work. I don't know. I read about it and thought I'd give it a try. Going to sea-side sounds wonderful. I don't actually like to get in water but I love walking a beach or sitting there looking out at it as I read.

@trishastime Your method will work as long as I can remember to take a pic of any snacks I pop into my mouth. Although if I could remember to take a pic, I could remember to track them. lol But I've got my carb cycling meal plans almost finished and if I just stick to the plan, there should be no mindless unintentional snacking.

I got my mammogram results back today. All good for another year. I've been working on my meal plans for the last two days trying to come up with low carb options that will satisfy me. Plus throw some stuff in there that I like so I'll continue to do it. Plus adding the exercise plan to the proper day. The more carbs you eat the more energy you are supposed to have means more intense exercise vs low carb days. We'll see.
  • trooworld
    @renaegry That's great! I used to jog, but was never very good at it/was very slow. I also decided that since I'm so overweight, it wasn't very good for my joints, so I quit. Plus, I didn't really enjoy it. But I did do the C25K program and completed a couple of 5Ks. You are doing great, that's a great pace! Safe travels picking up your weight set.

@joannadavison It's a deal! :D

@TrishasTime Thank you! Yes, you are right. Last time this month, I was not tracking. Today, I am pretracked up to dinner and yesterday was 100% tracked. You sound like a really organized mover! That's awesome.

@theslightedgeforever Thanks, but that perfectionism is whispering in my ear: "it's not 6 out of 7 days!!!" That's great that your mammogram came back good. Good luck with the carb cycling, I hope that works out for you.

Hi gals. This is the last day for the below signature, I'll have to change it tomorrow. It's definitely going to be different. I found it helpful to have my goals in my signature line, it reminded me of them. But I chose goals that were too strict and set myself up for failure! :( Next month will be different.

EMPOWERED.
  • JoDavo66
    @trooworld good luck with new targets.

@theslightedgeforever good news on mammogram

To all- I'm trying to get some R&R over school holidays (I'm on week 2 of 6) but I need to motivate to the gym (it's near where I work- so I go twice a week, off peak, on my 2 afternoons off), my aim diet & fitness wise is to track track track while I'm off and to try new recipes from WW & Pinch of Nom but also to totally declutter, reorganise house bit by bit- cleaning & in some cases decorating as I go. I'm quite organised but last 2 months been a struggle with a lot going on so many things not been put away and I'm wanting to get my 2 teen girls empowered to sort their own stuff in tidy manner. Had stickers on everything when they were little but been chaotic since they got more grown up rooms.
    Off to meet my cousin & nephew in Durham now- I don't think he's been before.
    Have great days everyone
  • its_cleo
    its_cleo Posts: 544 Member
    @trooworld great job on the tracking! I find setting goals really helpful, and yeah sometimes it takes adjusting. Definitely can still help though. I set goals a lot for myself, for all kinds of things. I’m like 50/50 success rate I think lol. But it’s better than zip.

@theslightedgeforever good luck with the carbs! For me exercise means I need protein…but for sure in general high intensity exercise days does require more calories.

@TrishasTime love the organization! I’m like that too.

@joannadavison welcome to the group!

@renaegry welcome to the group! I love running though I’m terrible at it. But I still run a couple days a week plus some other cardio (stair climbing and hill climbing). I get really focused on being able to run up hills, so I do some flat routes and then try to do a hilly route. I’m a glutton for punishment I guess.

I found the pacing of c25k never worked for me so I just did my own thing.

I love weightlifting too! I do about 3x a week at a small gym and I have a trainer as well. He’s really helped me.

@TeresaW1020 sounds like you’re on top of the house stuff. I can’t imagine seeing lizards in the yard…though I saw a fox a few weeks ago, and I saw a coyote earlier in the summer.

@theslightedgeforever I do freeze meals but I still sometimes reach a point where I’m sick of everything. There is not a lot of variety in my diet probably…I’ve eaten eggs for breakfast for months and I reached a point I can’t do it anymore lol. Trying to think of different ways to cook them. I've tried fried eggs, omelettes, frittatas etc. Hard boiled.

Same with fish, I eat a lot of fish, I’m just tired of it and can’t think of any different ways to cook them. I wish I could take a cooking class just for variety but I can’t seem to find one suitable. The ones in the city I’m interested in are super far away, like it would take me an hour to get there.

>>Whoever mentioned beer I’m in. 😊

I need to try to post here more often. I can’t remember what I last posted, but last week was stressful due to cat, but he is stable now so I am somewhat less stressed. Hoping to go for a run today.

Gym yesterday- deadlifts and like one-legged squats or split squat.

My right shoulder and arm is still a bit sore, my trainer thinks my muscles are so tense I’m just locked up. So that does happen to me, from like my thumb and wrist up my arm, shoulder and right side of neck. So I’m trying to rest it and do some massage with a lacrosse ball.

Calories- I actually ended up last week on track and this week so far on track. It has been hard though- there were days I indulged, and then I successfully cut back on other days to balance it out.
  • renaegry
    Good afternoon all. Well I did manage to get my 10K steps in yesterday with all the shopping and unpacking. Eating definitely was not on par but oh well. Hoping to get a walk in today but not sure if I can fit it in my day. Things going to be pretty slack till Monday since we have a long weekend approaching and we will be at the lake.