Protein shakes ... ugh!

13»

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    J72FIT wrote: »
    I use liquid egg whites to make shakes when I need them.

1 cup liquid egg whites
    2 bananas
    2 cups frozen spinach
    1 cup almond milk

Tastes great!

glad to see I am not the only one who will eat egg whites straight out of the box!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    After drinking these things for an awful lot of years, I stopped. I DO mix some protein powder into my Green yogurt though.
  • gvizzle74
    gvizzle74 Posts: 123 Member
    I enjoy protein shakes - i add bananas and berries and the protein i buy is delicious https://ca.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/impact-whey-protein/10852500.html (cookies and cream is my favourite flavour)

that being said, you can also cook with it. i add protein powder to baked goods (i make pre-workout cookies, overnight oats, cakes, etc.) and the flavoured protein powder adds to the flavour.

there are a ton of recipes online for baking/cooking with protein powder
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    psychod787 wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    I use liquid egg whites to make shakes when I need them.

1 cup liquid egg whites
    2 bananas
    2 cups frozen spinach
    1 cup almond milk

Tastes great!

glad to see I am not the only one who will eat egg whites straight out of the box!

They make for a really smooth texture.
  • kimondo666
    kimondo666 Posts: 194 Member
    maybe i am not buying top of of shakes, but good brand is tasty. Try buying small better one for the taste.
  • theretiredfatguy
    theretiredfatguy Posts: 12 Member
    version50 wrote: »
    Anybody else hate these things? I just turned 50, and at 6'0, 195lbs, I keep reading that I should be consuming at least 150g of protein to maintain muscle, testosterone, etc...

I really struggle getting this amount of protein in my daily diet without resorting to shakes/powder (revolting), or protein bars (equally revolting). At best, 100g a day of real food (chicken, pork, beef, fish) is all I can really stomach. And that's forcing myself. I think I'd be happier at 70g.

Seeking other personal observations....are any of you more senior gents (50+) hovering around 100g a day? If so, have you noticed any loss of muscle, or strength, or *ahem* drive?

I will be 49 here in a couple weeks. I am 6foot 1 and I am 300ish pounds. Dropping about 3 to 6 pounds a week right now. I too find it hard to get the required protein. I hover between 75 and 134 a day. I am in the downward phase of losing weight. I have 80 pounds to go before rethinking where I really want to be. I know I will have the same issue as you using real food.

Just keep trying and just use a high protein ISOLATE protein shake a few times per week. I like mine very cold. Shook well or even blended. I also like the premixed premier brand. It has 30 grams of protein and I actually use it in my coffee as creamer. It's good and packed with protein.

Anyways, sorry if I didn't help but I feel your pain.

Good Luck,

The Retired Fat Guy,
    Paul
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,907 Member
    Not all protein bars and powders are equal. Experiment, changing one variable at a time. For instance:

Mixing powder with water vs mixing with milk
    Mixing powder with cold water vs mixing with room-temp water
    Adding water first, then powder vs adding powder first, then water
    Using powdered protein shakes vs pre-mixed protein shakes (little more expensive, but the route I use)
    Using a shaker cup vs stirring with a spoon vs mixing with a blender

And that's all before we consider changing to different brands. I must have tried a dozen different protein bars before I found the ones I love (Special-K protein bars...taste/texture of a granola bar, but 12g protein with 4g fiber on only 180 calories...I use them as my breakfast all the time now).

I have days where I barely break 60g of protein (roasting hotdogs with the kids is fun, but practically zero protein), and other days where I am well above 200g (lifting days where I use protein shakes and am intentional to get chicken). It all averages out. I'm not as buff as I was ten years ago, but in the gym the other day I still put my 18yo son to shame lifting. Just don't ask me to try to keep up with him running...
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Meh... you just have to find your brand.