Favourite food you've discovered recently

maiomaio71
maiomaio71 Posts: 231 Member
I've re-discovered how much I love soup with pearl barley and lentils. It's winter here and I'm cooking up a storm with minestrone, vege soup and pumpkin soup for lunches this week. Lentils and pearl barley add that fibre and protein that makes it a meal.

Replies

• TwinThompson
    TwinThompson Posts: 80 Member
    Not a food, but water! I’ve lived on Pepsi and diluted juice for years, now I love a glass of iced water!
    I think aswell the drop in sugar and fat and all other bad things has made me appreciate flavours more. I can definitely taste how sweet some things are now
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,105 Member
    I could eat these everyday, and probably will tbh until they run out :D
    They taste just like Reese's but a fraction of the cost.

xt4d4whdn242.jpg
  • amybuckle6973
    amybuckle6973 Posts: 20 Member
    edited July 2019
    Re-discovered Aubergine and Courgette!! (Eggplant and Zuccini for some of you 😂)
    Just had a med veg tray bake and it was soooo tasty!!!
  • maiomaio71
    Aubergine is one of my favourite vegetables. Love it! But they're so expensive....might try and grow some this summer.
  • amybuckle6973
    amybuckle6973 Posts: 20 Member
    maiomaio71 wrote: »
    Aubergine is one of my favourite vegetables. Love it! But they're so expensive....might try and grow some this summer.

You can't beat your own home grown vegetables! Something about taking it out the ground and straight to cook to plate. Yum!
  • merph518
    merph518 Posts: 702 Member
    edited July 2019
    @Jackie9003 I don't know what's more sad... that "Classic American Taste" has been boiled down to chocolate peanut butter cereal... or that they're probably right
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,105 Member
    merph518 wrote: »
    @Jackie9003 I don't know what's more sad... that "Classic American Taste" has been boiled down to chocolate peanut butter cereal... or that they're probably right

It'll be a legal thing but, yes, I know what you mean.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Squid. I am obsessed with it. I have always loved it but it is not easy to cook perfectly. About 7 months ago I invested in a sous vide and about 3 weeks ago I tried squid in it. I can't believe how good it is.

I adore seafood so that has helped me along the way. I can't say I ever look forward to eating white meat chicken though so I guess it evens out. I would take a piece of grilled fish over even a fried chicken breast any day. I eat chicken but it doesn't normally excite me. I really dislike cooking it in advance and reheating it. It is always so dry.
  • LilSkittles22
    LilSkittles22 Posts: 22 Member
    Reheated chicken is not so great, I agree. I think it's the worst meats to reheat. How do you usually cook your fish? I am kind of picky about my seafood and fish, but I do like some types as long as it's real mild. I don't know what sous vide is... I will have to Google that. My favorite way to have it (mostly halibut or mahi mahi) is on the grill, basted with a mixture of melted butter, lemon juice, fresh garlic and cilantro. That's how my mom used to do it and I love it. I would love some other ideas if you have any recipes to share.
  • NovusDies
    Reheated chicken is not so great, I agree. I think it's the worst meats to reheat. How do you usually cook your fish? I am kind of picky about my seafood and fish, but I do like some types as long as it's real mild. I don't know what sous vide is... I will have to Google that. My favorite way to have it (mostly halibut or mahi mahi) is on the grill, basted with a mixture of melted butter, lemon juice, fresh garlic and cilantro. That's how my mom used to do it and I love it. I would love some other ideas if you have any recipes to share.

I chose the sous vide to cut down on my cooking and make my fish done perfectly each time. I should say it cuts down on the attention required to cook since it actually takes longer. The downside is that there is no maillard effect unless you take the fish from the bag and then hit it with high heat. This is great too but then I am spending more time cooking and cleaning than I want to do for lunch which is my primary meal. The sous vide system is good though because you can add various flavors to the bag and/or top the fish with a sauce or my personal favorite guacamole.

My other go to method is smoking the fish. I bought an inexpensive electric smoker and once or twice a month I smoke a bunch of fish for the following week. I use aluminum foil pans which does cut down on the smoke flavor a bit but they make clean-up a breeze.

I used to be pretty elaborate with cooking but that is just hard to sustain unless you have a lot more time so I have kind of adapted to getting good flavor in simple preparations. I still grill fish and do fancier dishes but I don't rely on that so much that if I don't feel like doing it I end up eating something I hadn't planned. Over my 18 months I have learned to place a high value on easy in all aspects of this weight loss phase.
  • maiomaio71
    Squid! Yummy. But so hard to get right. I like to steam my fish, then have it with fresh ginger and a little teriyaki sauce. Takes about 6 minutes to steam....quick and easy, and so tasty. Plus you get a lot of fish for few calories this way. If I'm really hungry this is my go-to meal for volume with lots of veges or salad.
  • NovusDies
    Squid! Yummy. But so hard to get right. I like to steam my fish, then have it with fresh ginger and a little teriyaki sauce. Takes about 6 minutes to steam....quick and easy, and so tasty. Plus you get a lot of fish for few calories this way. If I'm really hungry this is my go-to meal for volume with lots of veges or salad.

I am not a Walmart fan but they are the only place around here with a very large seafood selection including squid. Everything I get is frozen except the trout which I turn around and freeze because I get 3-4 meals worth at a time. I generally eat trout once a week. It is great smoked and it is very easy in the air fryer. I like it far more than salmon but they are cousins which means trout has a similar and very high amount of nutrition.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member

I am quite obsessed lately with aubergine mayo (2 baked aubergines, 1 red onion, lots of garlic, salt, pepper & mayo). None of the lower cal versions I've made taste as good as my boyfriend's homemade mayo version but they are still pretty tasty on toast.

We are quite lucky here in Ireland they are only 50-70c in Aldi/Tesco.
  • mo8414
    mo8414 Posts: 13 Member
    edited August 2019
    I tried turkey breakfast sausage this morning for the first time. They are actually a lot better than I thought they would be. At 70 cals for 2 patties I'll keep getting these.

I also grind up pork loin to use in dishes that take hamburger. Must less greasy and tastes just as good.
  • maiomaio71
    We don't get much turkey here except at Christmas time. I keep an eye out and occasionally find turkey minced. Turkey sausage sounds interesting!
  • merph518
    We've been using ground turkey instead of ground beef for years. Probably since I lost weight in 2009-2010. It's really not bad at all, though we will splurge and get beef once in a while.
  • dsueteel
    dsueteel Posts: 7 Member
    You should look up slow cooker chicken recipes. I've found that when I use the crock pot, my chicken stays moist and yummy!
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Squid. I am obsessed with it. I have always loved it but it is not easy to cook perfectly. About 7 months ago I invested in a sous vide and about 3 weeks ago I tried squid in it. I can't believe how good it is.

I adore seafood so that has helped me along the way. I can't say I ever look forward to eating white meat chicken though so I guess it evens out. I would take a piece of grilled fish over even a fried chicken breast any day. I eat chicken but it doesn't normally excite me. I really dislike cooking it in advance and reheating it. It is always so dry.

• NovusDies
    dsueteel wrote: »
    You should look up slow cooker chicken recipes. I've found that when I use the crock pot, my chicken stays moist and yummy!

Thanks for the suggestion. It is reasonable and many others like it that way. However, I am super sensitive to dry meat. I actually like crock pot chicken less because it is easier to overcook in it. I can't cover dry meat with a sauce or gravy and fully enjoy it either. I prefer chicken breast cooked to order and cooked just to done. Brining helps. Eating leftovers cold helps. Adding copious amount of salt and fat to reheated chicken breast helps but I shouldn't do that normally because I still don't like it I am just trying to get it down and fat is caloric.

• NovusDies
    I am going to expand out my definition of recently to include things I have found along the way that are favorites because they help so much:

1) Individual servings of guacamole. Sabra is my favorite. They last for a nice long time in the fridge and they are portioned for 100 calories per. Easiest way for me to add avocado to my meal planning without the hassle.

2) Riced cauliflower. Not a flavor bomb but I use it all the time to bulk up my cooking and reduce the calories per serving. It allows me to have my favorite flavors without paying as heavy of a price for them.

3) Icelandic yogurt. I really want to be eating yogurt regularly but I do not like the texture of Greek that well. Icelandic seems to be the answer for me. I heat my fruit slightly in the microwave so that it seeps, softens, and naturally sweetens and then add unflavored yogurt to it.
  • merph518
    I've never heard of Icelandic yogurt. Do you need to go to a health food place to find it or does your normal grocery store carry it?

I'd like a healthier yogurt option instead of Yoplait, but I haven't found something that I like yet -- and I also don't care for the texture of Greek yogurt.