Dumbbell training

wullie67
wullie67 Posts: 3 Member
Hi everyone, can anyone tell me if it’s good to ad dumbbells to exercise to lose weight? Just starting out and looking for some help. I’ve been walking and trying to watch what I eat and now was wondering if I should ad some training as well

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    It doesn't burn a lot of calories, but it's good for maintaining muscle whilst you lose weight, which will likely improve your body composition.

Weight loss mostly happens in the kitchen, exercise is good for your health.
  • Alia_R
    Alia_R Posts: 410 Member
    It doesn't burn a lot of calories, but it's good for maintaining muscle whilst you lose weight, which will likely improve your body composition.

This is true. However with weight training, your body will continue to burn calories hours after your workout.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Maintaining muscle is very important for long term maintenance. I personally regret that I didn't do any while I was losing weight because now my maintenance calories are 1350. I believe if I had more muscle I would need a higher calorie level.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,979 Member
    I am weight training primarily with dumbbells. and pushups/crunches/situps
    These 7 exercises in this video are really good for whole body. I'm over 50 but it applies to any age. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pARdNj77HUA
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    Alia_R wrote: »

This is true. However with weight training, your body will continue to burn calories hours after your workout.

It does, but not enough to have a substantial impact on weight loss.
  • Alia_R
    Alia_R Posts: 410 Member

That's where cardio comes in :smile:
  • wullie67
    Thanks everyone. I’m just trying to change my ways a little, I’m doing both I suppose losing weight and trying to be a little bit fitter. One of my work mate told me to try some dumbbells into my routine, not looking to become a body builder just to feel better and maybe look a bit better. Thanks
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member

That's where cardio comes in :smile:

Nope, that's where calorie deficit comes in :)
  • wullie67
    Cahgetsfit...thank you, I’m only looking for advice as I’m new to all this stuff. I’ve noticed everyone has different opinions on fitness, I’m 39 now and just wanted to get rid of my belly ha ha but I’ve started to really enjoy going long walks and doing some HIIT exercise and just thought I would add the dumbbells to give me something different. Thanks everyone for helping
  • reichulmendoza
    reichulmendoza Posts: 2 Member
    Hi everyone, I'm looking to reduce flabby arms. i am 92 kg right now and pretty much sedentary. i have been doing brisk walking on the treadmill for 1 hr. how do i start toning my arms?