WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2019

barbiecat
barbiecat Posts: 16,902 Member
Establishing new habits and sticking to them is difficult, but having supportive friends to travel the road with you can help. That's what this thread is all about. We support and encourage each other.

The name of the thread is "Women Ages 50+" but all women are welcome to participate.

It has always helped me to start the new month as a clean slate, putting last month's experiences behind me and making a fresh start.

If you made any goals or resolutions for July, how did you do?

If you made any goals or resolutions for August, tell us about them

Be sure to bookmark this thread so you can find it again.

Please sign your post with a name or nickname and a location so it's easy to reply to each other personally.

<3 Barbie from beautiful NW Washington

Replies

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,041 Member
    Thanks Barbie found it by typing the name in the search.

Went to a book club meeting on the novel The Hummingbird.

:heart: Margaret
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,809 Member
    Thanks Barbie!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,330 Member
    Took the water class today. First went to CVS to get some cereal since I had a coupon and a raincheck. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Jillian Michaels Killer Buns and Thighs DVD.

Mary – I read on the internet that you use beef broth to keep the hamburgers moist while in the crockpot. Just a small amount on the bottom, right? I wonder if you can put hamburgers and hot dogs in the same crockpot. I can’t see why not

KJ – Vince feels that people will be expecting hamburgers and hot dogs. There are at least 2 small children next door (who knows if they’ll even come?) and two boys across the street who I would guess to be about 14 or so. So I would think they’d like hamburgers and hot dogs. Personally, I’d think a pulled pork would be good. Hey, a sloppy joe wouldn’t be bad. Kids would like the sloppiness of it. Oh, I’m sure Jess is under stress. Remember, she’s in vet school. Plus, she’s taking out student loans to pay for it. At one time she said “if I’m paying for this, you’d better believe I intend to ask all sorts of questions and get good grades”. So I’m sure she’s putting stress on herself. Then, when she comes home (like for the summer), it’s very hard to go to healthy eating when you’re used to dinners of things like mac & cheese. I’m so sorry that happened to you with Trentin. Maybe the mother just forgot????

Banana – what is the US Navy Method of determining body fat. How do you go about it?

As far as what to cook for the neighborhood pool party, I think I will have hamburgers and hot dogs because I have this insulated pan, so if I put a little beef broth on the bottom (thanks Mary), cover it with foil and keep it in the oven, it should be OK to eat. I know Vince wants hamburgers and hot dogs so I have to compromise. Now just to think of something for me.

Pip – who is that lady in the pink glasses?

Allie – St. Anthony comes thru lots. If he doesn’t, think to yourself that whoever found the ring probably needs it more than you do. That’s what I think of every time I think of the ring my father gave me that I know this one girl took

Thanks JR for the link

Jojo – I usually plan my dinners a week in advance. Mainly so that I have time to take whatever I need out of the freezer or buy it at the store. Personally, I like variety so I have different foods (for the most part) every day. I usually jot down on a piece of paper what I ate and then shortly before dinner I log everything. This way I don’t forget anything. By this point I can usually plan if I need to take calories (most of the time desserts) away to keep under. Good luck, I know you can do it.

Michele in NC
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,071 Member
    ❤️🙋🏼‍♀️❤️
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,631 Member
    Hi Gals,

Barbie – thanks for setting up the August page and Machka thanks for posting it.

Tracey – sorry to hear that! Could there be any youtube videos about the right exercises to do?

JoJo – welcome – each of us does it a bit differently. I have a set breakfast that I eat 80-90% of the time, and then lunch and dinner vary..

Kim from N. California
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,809 Member
    Hi, I am really struggling to log every day, I am struggling to make a plan for myself for the day for the week, and I’m struggling to stick to any plans since I haven’t really made a super good plan in the first place. I could use a little extra motivation on how you go about making your eating plan for the day and week to make sure you get your nutrients. Do you plan out a perfect day and then try to follow something similar to that every day? Do you plan out a week of what y’all and we are basically? Are you conscious and checking in every two hours and logging everything you eat to make sure you’re staying in track and then making decisions as you go during the day? Or are you planning your day and your week in advance and then just following the plan?

I eat basically the same things every day, so I go in and prelog my week.

Then if I make some changes, it's just one or two things.

M in Oz
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,101 Member
    Michele
    1. Heat enough beef bone broth low sodium to cover bottom of pan. 1/2 inch only!!!!
    2. Place precooked (medium to medium well) burgers (can be done the night before) in a shingle formation in bottom of pan, can build up layers. He doesn’t recommend putting the hot dogs with but said it really wouldn’t hurt but place one down and rest the tip of 6 across then alternate. Think of Lincoln logs. This creates air space for the moisture to keep them hot and fresh.
    3. Pour warmed broth over top and cover. Check often like a turkey, and baste and add broth as needed.

<3

Mary from Minnesota/ Arizona
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,482 Member
    Thank you Barbie. Hope your pc reconnects soon!

Julie why do you feel crappy? A bug? Or feeling low from the struggles with your thesis advisor? or???
    Machka Brava for the pilates! That's the way to healing your hip etc.
    KJ a word on the gummies, check to be sure they are CBD and not THC. I had some with THC, the dosage was a half of a gummy, but I didn't carefully read and popped a whole one. Did NOT like how they made me feel. I'm OK with CBD but THC not so much :sick: Power tools, hmm, just getting used to them is a challenge for me, they're so LOUD! But the electric staple gun was WAY easier to get staples into plywood than the manual one. It would have killed my hand.
    Carol school starts TOMORROW??? Noooooo!
    Rebecca "muscles in each ear..." LOL!
    Rori so happy for the successful energy healing.
    Welcome JoJoSwanson. I usually pre-log the day, then adjust as things change.

Took a break from the goop project today. All that scraping has inflamed a little something between the right shoulder blade and spine. Still made it to T'ai Chi and dog group, but no progress on the deck and plan to take another aspirin tonight.

Way behind updating stats. Time to simplify goals and recommit.
    Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    will update these later too, haven't been keeping up on my metrics. Meditate 0/31, knee exercises 0/31, CO>CI 5/31, vits+rx 3/31, play with Tumble 2/31, AF 2/31, steps: Tues:5770, Wed:3425 :{ Thur: 5949 so far
    Word for 2019: "GOOD" good attitude, good food, good times, good choices, good enough, feel good, GOOD! Word for July: consistency.
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    edited August 2019
    July Goals

Accomplished
    1. Write what I'm grateful for here daily [b]often[/b]
    2. At least 30 min exercise 6 days a week [b]mostly[/b]
    3.Track all first 2 weeks of month
    4. Five minutes meditation 5 days a week occasionally
    5. Average 1100 calories net almost never
    6. Lose 1-2 kilos lost 0.13 LOL
    7. Take measurements every 2 weeks took once
    8. Go to free coaching session yes
    9. Try one class per week at gym (I had signed up-annual sign up- for the 7 euros a month extra for classes and havent gone since the "zen" stretching classes weren't great.) Try different classes. went once
    10. Use city bike 1x a week (I also signed up many months ago at about 3-4 euros per month, there was no bike free the first time I wanted to use it and I had completely forgotten about it, it's not in my habits). no
    11. eat fresh leafy greens 4 days a week. hardly ever

Long term writing
    12. Spend at least 2h/day on long term writing project averagenot at all
    13. Produce at least 3 rough pages per day averagenot at all

Home
    14. Average at least 15 min/day of cleaning probably, more or less

Paper
    15. Make a list of short term tasks, etc and prioritise them, and do them no
    16. Take care of at least 2 short term (1 pagish) writing or administrative task/bill per week probably 1 per week average
    17. Taxes started them
    18. 1 h per week filing no, just a few minutes on July 31

Art
    19. 1 hour on art project (other than sketching) per week not at all

Work
    20. do one work-related thing per week other than the above, to progress (I have to network and take initiative etc, in my job and I haven't been doing so much since focusing on thesis) possibly, networking type-stuff

last month:
    u3wt0sbc3tzp.png

last month:
    43vlcod4lgak.png

yesterday:
    9vnivkdos05t.png
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    "What's the carbon footprint of … the internet?"

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2010/aug/12/carbon-footprint-internet

"despite ecological claims for the virtual economy, the digital era may be no less energy-hungry than the paper-based world of 20 years ago. Part of the reason is the so-called rebound effect – the phenomenon that when something (in this case the storing and interrogation of data) becomes cheaper and more energy-efficient, we often end up simply doing more of it, with the result that there is no net reduction, or even a rise, in cost or impact."
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,189 Member
    Bananas- Thanks for drawing our attention to that article. It's not something I have really considered. However, in northern Sweden last year we drove past the data storage 'cloud' centre for Facebook Europe. Interesting.
    My new excuse for not updating our house is that it is more environmentally friendly to keep using the old stuff and our garden is insect friendly. :D
    Most people are very plastic conscious over here. David Attenborough did a great programme on tv that influenced a lot of ordinary people. They charge for single use plastic bags. Most of us have got much better at remembering to take a bag with us. I have one in my purse.
    Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Barbie & Machka <3 for August thread.

Connie Sorry for your mom's health issues.
    I think 4 lbs is a darn good weight loss for July. (((Hugs)))

Karen in Virginia