WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2019

Replies

• LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Thank you, Barbie (and Machka and Amber's assist) for beginning our journey through a new month once more!

Goals for July - couldn't find 'em, but came out of the month heavier than I went in. I swear I'm going to start naming the top five pounds, as they keep coming back so often.

Goal for August
    1. Exercise five days a week at the gym.

Connie - I'm so sorry for the news for your mom. Hope tests show it's non-aggressive and treated easily.

Tracey - For me, if I flip my own attitude so that an injury or being in pain gives me time to focus on my eating and get it under control, it's helpful. As the saying goes, "you can't outrun a bad diet." For this month, I'm trying to get my exercise back into a groove, and weight loss will be a bonus. If I try to extend my focus to everything, my strength gets diminished with every single one I add, it seems to me. Which made me go back to my goals and erase four of them. Thank you for reminding me of that. One thing at a time for me. Doesn't mean I won't try to eat right, just means that the laser focus - the priority - is on one thing this month. I will get that in the groove, working well, then bring the next thing to the party. :) That's just how I'm trying to deal with it, though. Decide what makes sense for you.

Rori - So glad the reiki is working well for you!

On to my day - not sleeping well, as I'm aching from the exercise, but this too will pass. Will get an appointment set up with my doc to see about alternative anti-inflammatories. For those about to suggest it, yep, I've tried CBD, both in oils and capsule form, and it doesn't help me. Nor does glucosamine-chondroitin or any variation of it. Unfortunately, the only thing that has worked is Aleve, and it's now giving me mouth ulcers, which are just miserable. We'll see what else is out there.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,636 Member
    morning ladies and welcome to August~
    Thank you Barbie and Machka for posting the new thread..
    your right about the ring.. but I believe St Anthony will help find it, if not I have found a replacement though it is not the serenity prayer it is a rememberance ring for both my parents..
    my goal is to weigh less in Aug than I did in July though it is coming off slow it is coming off..
  • Workoutahloic50
    Workoutahloic50 Posts: 384 Member
    Good morning and first day of August.Thank you Barbie and Machka.My goal for this month is to drop ten pounds and keep it off.My 4 and a half year old grandson fell off the monkey bars yesterday at a playground and cracked his elbow.The doctor put him in a sling and said keep him in it for at least a week (lol).If he’s still in pain bring him back.I just hope he heals quickly.
    Debby In Va
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Barbie - Thanks for starting us off with a clean slate!

My goal for August is back to basics....log every bite and swallow and end the month lighter than I am today. Pretty basic.

JoJo - I too am a prelogger (is that a word?). I log the next week on Sunday, usually just by copying one day to the next. I eat typically the same things every day during the week and have a bit more variety on the weekend when the hubs is home and wants to go out to eat. I will make changes as I change what I actually consume....add some cheese, delete a snack, whatever. It gives me a good jumping off point for each day. I weigh every bite I take and log (if needed) as I go so I know where I'm at for the day.

Tracey - I hope your hip gets to feeling better soon!

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    happy August!. Thanks as always barbie

Can’t believe how quickly July flew by. Goals we’re well met this summer. I lost the gain and am back at maintenance weight. The UTI was knocked out thank goodness it wasn’t a kidney stone :s

August goals:
    -Keep moving
    -Be social when you want
    -Putter and declutter to your hearts
    content
    -savor the open schedule and don’t
    overwhelm yourself with to dos :o

NYKAREN
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    "Bananas- Thanks for drawing our attention to that article. It's not something I have really considered. However, in northern Sweden last year we drove past the data storage 'cloud' centre for Facebook Europe. Interesting.
    My new excuse for not updating our house is that it is more environmentally friendly to keep using the old stuff and our garden is insect friendly. :D
    Most people are very plastic conscious over here. David Attenborough did a great programme on tv that influenced a lot of ordinary people. They charge for single use plastic bags. Most of us have got much better at remembering to take a bag with us. I have one in my purse.
    Love Heather UK xxxxxxx"

@cityjaneLondon I was looking into the question after 2 work-related things. I work in 3 schools. in one, the director is quite dishonest, and when I asked him to make available legally required documents (online or sending them to employees) he said if they are on the site no-one reads them and if they send the attachment it is "not ecological" ). That was 100% bs. but made me look into his argument (which he absolutely doesn't use for countless other mails he sends).

INTERNET ECOLOGY
    Another director, a 6- year old or so guy, is high integrity, rather honest and very ecologically-focused. He and a fellow colleague separately lamented and criticised the use of paper in classes, implying online documents were necessarily better. I looked into paper vs internet issue and the jury is out. The type ofraw material and pollution are not the same in the 2 cases, plus it is impossible to know how much energy is used in email (depends on type of computer, etc). If I send an online document as an attachment (or a downloadable page on an online platform) to 100 students, for students to get it that requires sending them all a mail (with a certain energy footprint per mail, compounded by the attachment). The student may keep the document online and thus use energy for every instant of access. But also many of the students may well keep the documents online indefinitely or for a very long time, for possible future use (just in case, why not?) which is stocked data centres day after day, year after year, and perhaps decade after decade. It would seem to me that printing 1 page per student x100 students, printed pages would use up less overall energy and might pollute less long-term given this information, especially looking at decades-long storage probable in some cases.

BUYING NEW CLOTHES
    I'm having a renewed uneasiness with the world ecology situation. I have had a hard time buying clothes of late, aware of the abuse of fast fashion (cheap clothes produced by near-slave labor or close to indentured type labor - less than 2 dollars a day for 16 h days). I recently saw this video interview of a young girl who lived in a poor country labouring long hours in unseemly conditions and then (still young) went to live inthe usa where she saw the masses of clothes in shops and outlets, this is not a scoop, but sometimes it's just harder to ignore. When I go into a clothes shop now, I usually feel like I'm going into a gambling den or something, it feels so unethical. Sorry to be a downer, but that's how I'm experiencing things at present. I did buy some sandals and a cheap white shirt a month and a few months ago. I felt bad particularly about the shirt. (10 euros for a new white shirt at Uniqlo). I had little time and picked a fast answer.

"...Whoever is going to wear these clothes, I hope they can feel me. I hope they can see my tears....I hope they can give me a chance to be free of this suffering....So when I came to America...I saw where clothes were getting sold and how disconnected the people were from the source of manufacturing..." (same in Europe)

https://www.facebook.com/JayShettyIW/videos/368826617014379/

TRASH GOING TO CHINA
    and then on Trevor Noah's daily show the other night he explained how plastic, etc trash, has been exported to china, but with china's economy improving china & co are no longer accepting as much trash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-htnUTN4mH0

it seems there are cycles. in the 60s and 70s it seems like with hippy culture there was more thought about ecology, etc. then in the 80s, 90s and 2000s I didn't find the average person here to be very ecologically minded or politically or socially aware on a lot of levels. it seems like a world trend for people to be more aware now, like (in a certain way) in the late 60s and early 70s. I think the urgent state of ecology will make it more than a shaky trend now.

• bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    @cityjaneLondon in France cheap plastic bags for groceries are now illegal. that's a good thing. you have to choose between 15-centime paper bag or buying a tote type thing for about a euro or bring your own. plastic dishes (other than from recycled materials, or recyclable) will be illegal as of Jan 1 2020. now I don't buy it anymore if I go to a thing, or for my students (end of year event, say), even though paper or recyclable plastic forks are way more expensive. That will be new for the place I buy Asian takeaway. maybe they will raise prices by a few cents but that's ok.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,877 Member
    :) Thank you Machka and Amber for finding and posting the link that allowed everyone else to make their fresh start for August. Just before I went to bed, I tried the all purpose solution for technical problems, I unplugged the modem/router, counted ten seconds and plugged it back in and my computer was able to find the wifi network.

:) My weight has stayed fairly stable and I've been consistent in logging food and exercise, but I'm at the top of my maintenance weight range. In August I'll try to slightly increase my activity and slightly decrease the calories I consume (there a few treats that could be eliminated). My yard work is nearly completed and everything looks great.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,283 Member
    Wow, August already!

Thanks Barbie for getting us up and running... or walking, as the case may be.

Machka
    - thank you for posting the "Make things easier on yourselves by" list. This stuff has been on my mind lately, especially if I have to have another surgery and be out of commission for a few days. Has your husband has any more seizures lately? I think he's taking meds for it?

Wondering how NYKaren is doing with her kidney infection.

Machka - your story of getting yourself to medical assistance when you had a kidney stone gave me the willies. I remember mine, I thought I was coming down with a bladder infection all day. Finally couldn't take it anymore and told DH I was driving into town after supper to the urgent care (open until 8 pm) which was 30 miles away. I got halfway to town and bam, got an excruciating pain in my back. Somehow made it to urgent care, crab-walked into their waiting room. They found blood in the urine, shot me up with painkillers and decided I needed to go to the hospital, called my DH who eventually made it in and took me over there. It was small enough that I passed it without catching it, so they were unable to tell what it was made of. Do not want a repeat of that.

Kelly - with my DH's RA and declining health, there are times that if I mention anything to him about interacting with another guy, (like mentioning a guy at the grocery store said it's going to be a wet summer) it just sends him into deep depression. He is so worried I'll leave him. That REALLY ticks me off! And he knows it. I am hoping I don't need surgery on my belly button problem, I can tell he's fretting and worrying something will happen to me and he'll be left "stranded" here at the house.

We don't talk about money much - after a BIG talk about it several years ago (I mean the CRAP hit the fan), it was decided that he'd have an allowance and that's it. No more buying off Ebay, etc. He doesn't know how much we have in the bank. He asked me that a few days ago. I lied and told him quite a bit less than is actually in there, and told him it's enough for a year in a nursing home for one of us, and there's a good chance one or both of us will need assistance at some point, so whenever there's extra at the end of the month I sock it into little CD's at the bank. Medicare won't pay for nursing homes.

A few hours later, he said he'd never considered what it might cost for help in our old age. End of subject, lol. Funny how as I've aged, I've gone from loving, affectionate wife to mean mommy. >:) Breaks my heart to see him going downhill.

OK, now to eating. I'm liking the low-carb I started about a week ago. Have had one instance of overdoing it on nuts after supper, but at least it wasn't sugar. Carbs, yes, but not that many. Here's my plan:

Program guidelines: IF 12:12, Net carbs 30-40 gm, Fiber over 25 gm, Total sugar under 30 gm. Added sugars under 10 gm. On maintenance attempting to ditch 5 lbs. 1500 - 1600 cal/day. Stop eating by 6 pm.

Macros: 15% Carb, 65% Fat, 20% Protein

Thanks to Rita and Allie and others of you who are doing so well on Keto! I only have a few pounds to lose and am concentrating on the belly fat. This should help.

OK ladies, make it a great day! <3

Lanette
    Cloudy, warm and muggy SW WA State
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    barbiecat wrote: »
    Just before I went to bed, I tried the all purpose solution for technical problems, I unplugged the modem/router, counted ten seconds and plugged it back in and my computer was able to find the wifi network.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

Mine does that now and then, and I have to reboot my computer or the modem/router. I've also got a trick now to change the "channels" (ports, probably) if it starts happening quite frequently.

M in Oz

• JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    g6rd8zdfcmei.jpeg
    Finally going down lowest weight yet! Lost 31.8lbs so far. Lots to go!

Machka- Dads brain injury was job related causes epilepsy seizures terrible ones. The big door big rigs pull up to fell hit him square in the head bam the company doctors said he was fine.He looked at me (a child at the time) while we were taking a walk hand in hand said “Who are you ?” “ You know I’ve always wanted a DAUGHTER maybe someday I will.” That’s when I let him know I was his y he cried with tears of joy.I knew something was wrong drove him to the hospital even tho I was a preteen. Tried to tell the 911 operator she thought I was making a joke. No someone forgetting your their kids not funny at all! He remembers bits y pieces but can’t connect all the pieces.Yet his brain in parts like his medical school knowledge untouched! Weird how the brain works.

JOJO- With 2yr old can’t pre log if I tried! So I think what do I got...hmmm guess I’ll make for dinner.Log it make changes if numbers too high or nutrition too low.I got vitamins for if needed. I found 4oz of my sugarfree Apple juice bumps up one vitamin.Eating certain foods bump up another. Mixed salad bumps up certain one cause it has carrots 🥕y cabbage. I just finagle it if I can I’ll prelog dinner or snack I want later. I end on the dot or under. If I go over I count myself some slack do better tomorrow cause a wet cookie 🍪 from a 2yr old saying share is unavoidable lol . Sometimes I can prelog like I made shredded chicken for the week in the fridge so easily added it to lunches y dinner logs then later added what I would use it in,on,or with. I’m trying to make a full change so changing what we buy so if I need Barbecue Sauce I’m grabbing a 10calories one not the 200cal one I used to use! I got 0 calories Walden Salad Chipotle Ranch or ranch dressing instead of the 140 cal hidden valley Ranch I used to own. Baked chips y Special K cereal slowly getting rid of anything unhealthy.Even switched baby to baked Cheetos! Sugarfree Puddings (Jello name brands best family taste tested off brands they were off) ! Sugar free jellos. Toasting breads. Changed tortilla brands so less calories.That way I have stuff to grab when I need to cook even 40-100cal ice creams. 30cal unsweetened almond milk. Even hubby creamers less cal now. Figure every calorie saved is another I can use somewhere else if I need it! Learning to eat out stay under. Eat half take the rest home after looking for side salads to low cal items or a splurge one then eat a very low cal meal at lunch or dinner to offset it. Learning a permanent new way of life. I’m not dieting I’m making a life change so want it to be sustainable y something my son will enjoy growing up.

JR to Hubby- “ Daddy your the baby not me”.
    Hubby- No
    JR-“Yesh Daddy the baby!”
    Hubby- Well then I need Mommy
    JR -“NO she’s Mines get yours own!”
    Lol Hubby laughed so hard he thought he was going to pass out. Especially when JR grabbed my hand made me sit far away on the couch with his Pooh Bear. Lol I’m property of a 2yr old now we know lol.
    Hubby said share with your sister..! He got a NO she too old! Lol 😂
    Navy Daughter 20’s said don’t antagonize her brother lol.

Amber Tx

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    lhscapil wrote: »

Machka
    - thank you for posting the "Make things easier on yourselves by" list. This stuff has been on my mind lately, especially if I have to have another surgery and be out of commission for a few days. Has your husband has any more seizures lately? I think he's taking meds for it?

Wondering how NYKaren is doing with her kidney infection.

Machka - your story of getting yourself to medical assistance when you had a kidney stone gave me the willies. I remember mine, I thought I was coming down with a bladder infection all day. Finally couldn't take it anymore and told DH I was driving into town after supper to the urgent care (open until 8 pm) which was 30 miles away. I got halfway to town and bam, got an excruciating pain in my back. Somehow made it to urgent care, crab-walked into their waiting room. They found blood in the urine, shot me up with painkillers and decided I needed to go to the hospital, called my DH who eventually made it in and took me over there. It was small enough that I passed it without catching it, so they were unable to tell what it was made of. Do not want a repeat of that.

Kelly - with my DH's RA and declining health, there are times that if I mention anything to him about interacting with another guy, (like mentioning a guy at the grocery store said it's going to be a wet summer) it just sends him into deep depression. He is so worried I'll leave him. That REALLY ticks me off! And he knows it. I am hoping I don't need surgery on my belly button problem, I can tell he's fretting and worrying something will happen to me and he'll be left "stranded" here at the house.

Lanette
    Cloudy, warm and muggy SW WA State

So far he hasn't had any big seizures, but could be having absence seizures (used to be known as petite mal). Neurology is supposed to follow up on that.

Kidney stones aren't nice ... the last couple days, I've been pretty sure I've got another one on the move. I've had back pain over the right kidney area for several days, and then yesterday was a little dehydrated ... and ended up in quite a bit of pain by the evening. I sat with a hot water bottle, and drank lots. Today was better. I downed several glasses of water during the day and my coffee. I hope I can just flush it out.

And I worry what would happen if I had to go for surgery for something like a kidney stone ... or for some of my female precancer issues. I'd have to try to arrange to have someone here with him. I can definitely understand your situation ... not easy.

Machka in Oz
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited August 2019
    Barbie, Machka & Amber: Thank you for August thread,. :heart:

Lisa: We switched to Tylenol a few years ago. Advil and Aleve had unpleasant side effects. I was a big fan of Advil for a long time, but will be highly unlikely to ever use it again. :ohwell:

I had fits with Microsoft word this morning and finally chose to shut down & restart my computer. It worked.

My August resolutions will look very familiar. I’m a big fan of success and these resolutions have helped me succeed.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

August 2019 Resolutions

1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on strength and stamina.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least 3 glasses of water a day.
    5. Monitor sleep. Average 7 or more hours nightly.
    6. Avoid alcohol.
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    <3 Happy August!