Breastfeeding mom

Is there a way to adjust my calorie intake to account for breastfeeding? I want to be a healthier weight but dont want to risk my milk supply in the process. Slow and steady is my goal.

Replies

• PiscesIntuition
    PiscesIntuition Posts: 1,365 Member
    How old is your baby?
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Do a search on breastfeeding, you will find answers to your question.
  • owa1s
    owa1s Posts: 273 Member
    Maybe contact a professional doc.?
  • laurenksanderson
    laurenksanderson Posts: 2 Member
    11 weeks
  • Pearl4686
    Pearl4686 Posts: 918 Member
    Yes it can be done but don't choose an aggressive deficit.
    In fact, if you continue eating as you have been and just cut out 2/3 bad habits, you may lose some weight without too much effort and without compromising your regular meals. For me it was cutting out mayo and chocolate and stop eating late night snacks. I continued to enjoy pizza, chips etc and lost a nice amount of weight slowly. My milk was still in generous supply ;)
    Obviously, I don't know your stats so if you only have a little to lose, you may need to do things differently. Just sharing what worked for me.
    Best of luck
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    I would not restrict AT ALL in the first 12 weeks. You are almost out of that though.

Realistically, unless your doctor recommends are you are obese or more, I would not restrict at all until your child starts some solid food (around 6 months). I would focus on eating foods that are more nutrient-dense and lower in sugar and drinking lots of water.

I didn't start losing weight until my baby was 8 months, I started exercising regularly when he was 6 months but didn't count calories (at all) until he was 8 months. He'll be 2 in a couple of weeks (still breastfeeding!).
  • PiscesIntuition
    PiscesIntuition Posts: 1,365 Member
    An 11 week old is still too young to restrict your calories. A breastfeeding mom needs at least 1800 calories to establish and keep a steady supply. If you drop below 1800, your body will take from you first, then gradually start lowering production.

You MAY could do weight training and a little bit of cardio to maintain the muscles you have, but you don’t want to restrict too many calories.

Sources: I’m a mom of 9 and a birthworker/breastfeeding counselor/La Leche League experience.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Is there a way to adjust my calorie intake to account for breastfeeding? I want to be a healthier weight but dont want to risk my milk supply in the process. Slow and steady is my goal.

There are "breastfeeding" entries in the food database, you just need to find the ones that reflect a negative amount. That way they do the opposite of logging food and actually increase your calorie goal.

Your nurse or counselor should have given you an idea of how many extra calories you need. I have seen many breastfeeding moms here say they just set themselves to maintenance, and let breastfeeding create their deficit once they were given the ok. Mind you that's just what I've seen here and I'm not a professional.

Congrats on the baby!
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »

There are "breastfeeding" entries in the food database, you just need to find the ones that reflect a negative amount. That way they do the opposite of logging food and actually increase your calorie goal.

Your nurse or counselor should have given you an idea of how many extra calories you need. I have seen many breastfeeding moms here say they just set themselves to maintenance, and let breastfeeding create their deficit once they were given the ok. Mind you that's just what I've seen here and I'm not a professional.

Congrats on the baby!

I've never seen those!

I logged mine as an exercise before I got the fitbit, now Iog it as exercise on my fitbit and it syncs over correctly.
  • geauxtigerlily
    geauxtigerlily Posts: 75 Member
    The app does have a way to add exercise calories for breastfeeding. I think I've heard 300 cals/day as an average, but of course that varies person to person. But I'd agree with everyone else and give yourself a little more time without restricting, just to make sure your supply is established. I don't know your life or plans, but just as food for thought: if you're returning to work anytime soon and plan to pump, that's already a change that could affect your supply - don't want to go making big changes in your diet at the same time.

For myself, I nursed at home and pumped at work, and without calorie counting or exercise, some pounds easily fell off when my son was about 5-6 months old (this is also when my period returned, so not sure if those are related).

Of course, nothing wrong with tracking your foods to be more knowledgeable about what you're consuming so you can make good healthy choices! But unless you're being advised to lose weight by a doctor, this is a time to take it a little easy on yourself. Your body has been through a lot and is still doing a lot.

Congratulations to you on your baby!