Flipping grapefruit

kirzz
kirzz Posts: 1 Member
So, on my plan,I have a grapefruit in the morning. By the time I'm done butchering the thing, there is hardly anything left.

Anyone have any magical ideas on how to eat the devious fruit beast?

Replies

• looneycatblue
    looneycatblue Posts: 1,301 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    A friend used to peel it and eat it like an orange. More fiber!

Definitely, why cut it up!
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    a grapefruit spoon?

This is what I came here to say. This is the only way to eat a grapefruit that ever occurs to me (because we had grapefruit spoons around the house when I was a kid). You only have to make one cut and the serrated edges on the spoon dig pretty much everything out.

Grapefruit spoons are also good for scooping all the seeds and goop out of the inside of a winter squash.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,285 Member
    a grapefruit spoon?

This is what I came here to say. This is the only way to eat a grapefruit that ever occurs to me (because we had grapefruit spoons around the house when I was a kid). You only have to make one cut and the serrated edges on the spoon dig pretty much everything out.

Grapefruit spoons are also good for scooping all the seeds and goop out of the inside of a winter squash.

And hollowing out Spanish onions for stuffing!

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,553 Member
    I use grapefruit in SE asian pomelo salads. This involves the painful step of removing pith with a knife and cutting out segments. In the recipe below omit the oil and frying of shallots and just buy those ready fried shallots or onions that are used for Thanksgiving bean casseroles.
    https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/pomelo-salad-with-chile-lime-peanuts-and-coconut
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,702 Member
    I have a very sharp, small paring knife. I just cut the grapefruit in half and cut out each section with the knife. Yes, it takes a little while but they mostly come out clean. Then I juice the halves with my citrus juicer.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    It's evil, have an orange instead 😆
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    I use grapefruit in SE asian pomelo salads. This involves the painful step of removing pith with a knife and cutting out segments. In the recipe below omit the oil and frying of shallots and just buy those ready fried shallots or onions that are used for Thanksgiving bean casseroles.
    https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/pomelo-salad-with-chile-lime-peanuts-and-coconut
    Why are you so awesome for?!
    Sooo trying this.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    If you really love grapefruit, a grapefruit spoon is probably worth buying.

If you're doing the "grapefruit diet," keep in mind that many variations of it are below the minimum recommended calorie intake for women, making it potentially dangerous. Neither grapefruits nor the grapefruit diet do anything special for weight loss.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    What "plan" are you on that requires you eat grapefruit?

I mean I love grapefruit, but that doesn't mean it's an essential part of a healthy diet.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited August 2019
    Hate grapefruit. Haven’t eaten it since I was 4 years old. Yes I remember distinctly, it was a traumatic experience.
    Seems to me you could do it like I do oranges. Cut off both ends, then go around cutting off the peel, slice following the membrane to get separate sections. Saw Jacques Pepin do it on one of his shows.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    A grapefruit knife is a narrow curved paring knife. One cut from the center, they around the circumference. I used to have to prepare them for the whole family. When the sections are eaten, the remainder goes in the squeezer.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    I don't eat food that fights back. Grapefruit is a mean food. 😡
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    TrishSeren wrote: »
    Grapefruit can stop some medication from working like antidepressants, statins, birth control so just an FYI.

Worse yet, it makes some meds work more quickly, or have a more extreme effect. If it's a drug that has a narrow range of therapeutic dosage vs. dangerous overdose, that's a big, big deal.

If you're eating grapefruit, and taking prescription drugs, make sure your drugs aren't among these problem ones.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    TrishSeren wrote: »
    Grapefruit can stop some medication from working like antidepressants, statins, birth control so just an FYI.

Worse yet, it makes some meds work more quickly, or have a more extreme effect. If it's a drug that has a narrow range of therapeutic dosage vs. dangerous overdose, that's a big, big deal.

If you're eating grapefruit, and taking prescription drugs, make sure your drugs aren't among these problem ones.

Yes to all of the above. That's why I didn't eat grapefruit for years despite it being one of my favorite fruits.
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    This post is making me miss grapefruits. Yay adult onset food allergies!