Extreme sugar intake & weight loss

Post not really for help etc., but mostly about why no health issues and still able to lose lbs. Reckon' some of us are just lucky??? :) My recent full blood workup showed all levels etc. normal..whew. I'm only posting since many sites i've read make it sound like this kind of weight loss should not be..hmm :neutral:

My extreme sugar intake? Ouch :smile: Finally decided to track my sugar intake with coffee for the month....Coffee-48oz daily with 2tbsp sugar each 12oz cup.

Monthly totals...1440 oz coffee....8.2 lbs sugar...Also, these numbers could be applied since 7/79 up to now.

Since joining gym 5/23 with many skipped days..I've only worked out 26 days, and have gone from 205lb to 175lb. Does not seem right, but was told gym scales are accurate. Just 15 more to go.

Kinda apologize :wink: for my poor writing skills.

Replies

• Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    As long as you burn more than you eat you will lose weight. Eating that much sugar is probably unhealthy in other ways but it doesn’t mean you’re lucky it just means you’re burning more calories than you consume daily. Good job.
  • phred_52
    phred_52 Posts: 189 Member
    Wow, that was fast..reply that is. Thx.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    My husband used to drink cokes, eat sweetened yogurt, lil Debbie's and cookies daily. His blood work is always normal. Doesn't mean he can't be healthier.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Yeah it's all about the calories not what anybody thinks about the food - for weight control. A teacher lost 56 pounds eating nothing but McDonald's, but only 1,900 cals per day. I think somebody must weight eating nothing but Twinkies to prove that it's calories and not food quality that controls your weight. He must have been starving because they're not very filling for how many calories they have. And it surely wasn't the healthiest choice.

You'll have to decide how you feel about sugar, alternative sweeteners, and all that, but do it with the knowledge that it won't hinder your weight loss.

Finally, fat loss is healthy. Drinking 8 lbs of sugar every month is better for you than carrying 80 excess pounds.
  • phred_52
    Thank You all for replies. lil Debbie's , yessss,, must have those lil' debbies DancingMoosie :) , just joking, or like NorthCascades mentioned.."twinkies". Used to be Eclairs for Me...mmmm :)
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    Yeah it's all about the calories not what anybody thinks about the food - for weight control. A teacher lost 56 pounds eating nothing but McDonald's, but only 1,900 cals per day. I think somebody must weight eating nothing but Twinkies to prove that it's calories and not food quality that controls your weight. He must have been starving because they're not very filling for how many calories they have. And it surely wasn't the healthiest choice.

You'll have to decide how you feel about sugar, alternative sweeteners, and all that, but do it with the knowledge that it won't hinder your weight loss.

Finally, fat loss is healthy. Drinking 8 lbs of sugar every month is better for you than carrying 80 excess pounds.

Yep and improved some of his health markers.
    http://edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,902 Member
    I wish I could eat 8.2lbs of empty calories a month :D Why has no one mentioned Devil Dogs? They're awesome in every way. I just can't eat that much and stay within my daily/weekly calorie goals. The math isn't kind to me lol.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    So obviously consuming 12k calories of sugar a month while in a deficit is probably crowding out some nutrition. However if your weight loss is dialed in this seems to be something to change super gradually or postpone.
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    I think I see it like this.... in the UK after the war people went mad for sugar because they couldnt get it (or much other food) during the war and so people of a certain age here were used to having quite a lot of sugar in tea, jam, biscuits, cakes etc etc, it was a real thing with the older generation (when I was growing up) and of course us kids liked plenty of sweets too. Ive heard people say they used to give their kids sugar sandwiches, white bread with butter sprinkled with sugar!

They also ate what we would say these days - quite badly - as in quite fatty meat, lots of white bread, meat and 2 veg type dinners.

But we didnt have an obesity problem then (70s and 80s). But we did have very high levels of early deaths caused by heart disease. But we also had a nation of smokers.

So weight wise, high calorie foods are not likely to be the problem IF you dont eat more than you burn
    Health wise, you could be at a healthy weight but have clogged up arteries due to your love of sugar and whatever other nutrition might be poor.
  • sugarcakes38
    sugarcakes38 Posts: 80 Member
    I would love to lose weight eating all my favorite sweets, especially those Pillsbury Ready-to-Bake sugar cookies. I’m diabetic, so my sugar intake largely impacts a lot of other important health stuffs throughout my days/weeks. Congrats on your loss, and your developing exercise habits. All a work in progress.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    edited August 2019
    nooboots wrote: »
    I think I see it like this.... in the UK after the war people went mad for sugar because they couldnt get it (or much other food) during the war and so people of a certain age here were used to having quite a lot of sugar in tea, jam, biscuits, cakes etc etc, it was a real thing with the older generation (when I was growing up) and of course us kids liked plenty of sweets too. Ive heard people say they used to give their kids sugar sandwiches, white bread with butter sprinkled with sugar!

Yep... and whenever my mother made tea or coffee for me as a youngster she automatically put two sugars in it because that's how she liked hers, so that's the taste I grew up with. It took me quite a while to wean myself off that when I was in my late teens or so, but after I did I found that it tasted odd to have sugar in my drinks! I can't stand sweet tea now. When it was my turn to be a mother, I made sure to never add any sugar to my son's tea so that he didn't become used to the sweet taste - he's never asked to even try a cuppa with sugar in it, and he's in his twenties now. :)

(I've had sugar sandwiches, too... :) Sometimes it was a cheap snack option for my parents.)
  • phred_52
    Hello again. Read a bit on detection of diabetes, which I hope I never get. Based on topic started, You could say my excessive sugar intake with my coffee began at 18 when I entered military. It's now been 39 years since.

Read CBC blood tests can reveal onset. Last CBC done 1/14/2019 all levels test revealed showed I was in perfect ranges for all they revealed. Anything can happen I know, but, I guess I'm just fortunate so far???

Just curious..thanks.

• ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    nooboots wrote: »

They also ate what we would say these days - quite badly - as in quite fatty meat, lots of white bread, meat and 2 veg type dinners.

But we didnt have an obesity problem then (70s and 80s). But we did have very high levels of early deaths caused by heart disease. But we also had a nation of smokers.

So weight wise, high calorie foods are not likely to be the problem IF you dont eat more than you burn
    Health wise, you could be at a healthy weight but have clogged up arteries due to your love of sugar and whatever other nutrition might be poor.

My granny was one of those who went nuts for sugar post war
    She baked cakes, biscuits and scones daily. She was a little overweight but I think the only reason she managed to keep away from being obese is she loved to feed the community, gave away trays of stuff to neighbours and had an open door policy for people to nip in for cake and a cup of tea....... with sugar cubes she kept stacked in a butter dish with little tongs 😂