How do you guys feel about low calorie frozen meals?

Replies

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    I love them. I use Trader Joe's frozen meals all the time. They have a great BBQ Teriyaki chicken and Shiitake Mushroom chicken. I mix them with additional veggies and serve them over their frozen cauliflower fried rice or spiralized zucchini or kelp noodles. Because one bag is enough for 4 meals, I'll cook it on Sunday and eat it for lunch throughout the week.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,674 Member
    When I was single, I ate frozen dinners a couple of nights a week. Easy, low calorie and inexpensive. I didn't usually find them completely filling though, so I'd add extra vegetables to fill me up. DH doesn't like frozen dinners so i rarely do it now, though I like to keep something quick and easy around for the nights that we get home late and I don't want to cook. Usually it ends up being soup and a sandwich or omelet or French Toast.
  • ready2lose2101
    ready2lose2101 Posts: 47 Member
    These are all really great comments and I'm glad the general attitude about frozen meals seems to have changed since they're ok in a pinch. I usually cook for my family but there are times that I only want a 300 calorie meal or I'm on my own for dinner. I'm definitely going to do what some suggested and add more veggies or protein to them. I can't hurt right? :smile:

I'd love to meal prep but it seems like there are times when mom has to do it all and there isn't enough time in a day. I'd love to try it though because there's nothing like eating something you've cooked yourself.
  • SchmancyName
    SchmancyName Posts: 37 Member
    I personally live off them a few times a week because of the convenience. My only complaint is how high in sodium most of them are. As someone with HBP I have to watch my sodium intake. And some days I have way too much. Usually because of V8 (I'd drink a gallon of this a day if I could) and or microwave meals.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    I do a lot of meal prep and try to eat farm to (freezer to) table as much as possible... However, I do appreciate the convenience of prepackaged meals. Sometimes I just don't like my own cooking--there are recipes that, try as hard as I might, I just can't duplicate. I like that they are already portion-controlled and the calories (within some level of error) are neatly printed right there on the box.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    edited August 2019
    honey-roasted-turkey-breast-15459.png

I have no problem with them. I used to eat them all the time but haven't had one since starting my journey. This one was my absolute favorite but it took two of them to satisfy me ;) only problem is two of them is almost a whole days worth of sodium!
  • nighthawk584
    I personally live off them a few times a week because of the convenience. My only complaint is how high in sodium most of them are. As someone with HBP I have to watch my sodium intake. And some days I have way too much. Usually because of V8 (I'd drink a gallon of this a day if I could) and or microwave meals.

agree, i wish they would give low sodium option or no sodium and we can add what we want ourselves.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    There's never enough food in them. I'd have to eat two or three to feel full.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    When I was at my lowest weight ever, I didn't really know how to cook so my diet was very high in low calorie frozen meals. They helped get the job done. This time around in my weight loss attempt, I do attempt to cook more for variety and nutritional diversity, but frozen meals are certainly still a part of my diet (I love me some Hot Pockets) and they fit well within my weight loss strategy.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    honey-roasted-turkey-breast-15459.png

I have no problem with them. I used to eat them all the time but haven't had one since starting my journey. This one was my absolute favorite but it took two of them to satisfy me ;) only problem is two of them is almost a whole days worth of sodium!

I love me my Mari Callendars meals too! I stock up on those when they go on sale because they've got a few varieties that I like and are under 400 calories (which is generally what I'm allotted for lunch, as I like a big dinner and I'm quite petite).

I limit myself to one a day because of the sodium as well, haha. They would make me super thirsty if I had two a day.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    These are all really great comments and I'm glad the general attitude about frozen meals seems to have changed since they're ok in a pinch. I usually cook for my family but there are times that I only want a 300 calorie meal or I'm on my own for dinner. I'm definitely going to do what some suggested and add more veggies or protein to them. I can't hurt right? :smile:

I'd love to meal prep but it seems like there are times when mom has to do it all and there isn't enough time in a day. I'd love to try it though because there's nothing like eating something you've cooked yourself.

I’m a busy working mom also and often end up on my own for dinner when my husband is out of town since I try to feed the kids early before sports practice and I prefer to just wait a little later, or else I feed them something super easy like grilled cheese and soup or breakfast for dinner.

I buy a bag of frozen shrimp which can be thawed and sautéed in less than 10 minutes, serve it with some of the Birdseye steamer protein blends (grains and veggies). I make a double portion of that and then save half for my lunch the next day. I also will buy the skillet meals from Bertolli or PF Changs or Voila and make that and save half of it for my next day as well.

For meal prepping if you are interested a lot of times what I do is just cook a lot of protein -5 lbs of ground beef or a mix of beef/turkey and then divide it into 1 lb portions in a ziplock bag and freeze it which can thenbe used for super quick spaghetti, tacos, chili, etc. I do the same with frozen chicken breasts, spices and some liquid in the crock pot or instant pot which is then shredded and saved for sandwiches, tacos or enchiladas or soups. Occasionally when I’m really motivated I prep full meals but I find that daunting, so just having protein cooked and ready to pull out of the freezer makes weeknight meals really quick.
  • nighthawk584
    if you can find this brand, they are amazing too, but again, takes two to fill me up and they are a little more pricey.

04015-Website-NI_SHORT_961037.jpg
  • zamirasoni
    zamirasoni Posts: 89 Member
    I love the convenience, but I'm always hungry within a couple of hours. I need a bit extra on those days.
  • _BlahBlah_BlackSheep_
    _BlahBlah_BlackSheep_ Posts: 2,148 Member

If you want to try meal prepping but don't have a lot of time, how about making additional portions when you cook a meal for the family? It's just my son and I at home, but I'll often make 4 servings instead of 2, and then portion out the other 2 into containers and toss them in the freezer. It doesn't take any extra time since I'm already cooking anyway. It's an easy way to stock up on a few meals!
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    @nighthawk584 I like their version of mac n cheese (I think it's called vermont cheddar?) but I agree, I'd need two to feel full. The portion just isn't that big. They're big on the fancy packaging though, and the tray feels more like a plate.

I'd say this is my favorite frozen meal. It's delicious, filling, and hella inexpensive (one time they were on sale for $1 each, normally they're $2.15 at my store.

maxresdefault.jpg