Broccoli and iron

Why doesn’t broccoli register any iron in the broccoli nutrition section ?

Replies

• ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    Which entry for broccoli? There are about a million...
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    This is why using MFP isn’t really the tool of choice if you’re trying to track macro and micro nutrients. It’s fine-ish for calorie management as long as you sanity check the entries you use but since a lot of the database is user generated. Many people don’t bother with the micro nutrients when they’re entering stuff off the back of a pack etc. They enter only the data they’re interested in and move right along.

If you keep looking though, you will find an entry that has the relevant info. Patience is key to everything - weight loss and logging accurately equally! 😂
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    Because the database is user entered and micro-nutrients aren't required on nutrition labels.

Some entries if you include USDA in the search may have the details input.

You can edit some entries and you can find info from USDA website.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    edited August 2019
    Unfortunately, the "verified" green check marks in the MFP database are used for both user-created entries and admin-created entries that MFP pulled from the USDA database. To find admin entries for whole foods, I get the syntax from the USDA database and paste that into MFP.

Note: any MFP entry that includes "USDA" was user entered.

And the admin entry for "broccoli, raw" is now missing from the MFP database >.<

You can use these for raw:

8a129c0dd69fc1885d6a996074f1d61d.png

For cooked I use "Broccoli, cooked, boiled, drained, with salt"

That will give you 4 grams of iron for 100 g of cooked broccoli.

If you're interested in your iron level because, like me, you are anemic, while plant-based iron can help, they are not likely to be enough to raise your iron levels sufficiently. LMK if you want a lengthier discussion on managing anemia.