Maintaining easily vs maintaining a low weight

2»

Replies

• Addictead
    Addictead Posts: 66 Member
    LKArgh wrote: »
    Do you feel happy about yourself where you are now? I am at a similar BMI right now, 24, which is the result of a disastrous year and emotional eating for me, and I do not feel or look good, as most of my life I was somewhere around 20. But, my best friend is actually heavier than me, and looks awesome, and of course is not trying to lose. There is no magic BMI that is perfect for everyone, different body types, different lifestyles all play a role.

I'm actaully really happy with where I am, I feel great and look fine! Which is why I feel so uncertain about losing weight again. I know I CAN but I don't know if I want to
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    edited August 2019
    Addictead wrote: »
    I feel myself getting frustrated, I've been eating at a slight deficit and I've lost roughly 2 pounds from some regain but lately it's been a kind of two step forward, one back situation. I eat at my deficit level, but then I have one-two days over maintenance and then I've netted maintenance for the week again. Which hey, I've stopped gaining so that's at least a win. But that is kind of what happens when I try to go below 130 or so, I can maintain 130-133 very easily. I maintained that level for MONTHS even between holidays. Though in my mind I'm so stuck on having to be +- 125, But every time I get that low I end up self sabotaging and regaining back up to 130-133. Would my quality of life or able to function be hindered by being 130-133? No. It's still within a healthy weight for my height(BMI 24) and my clothes fit fine, I feel good and think I look alright. It's just somehow I feel like being 130 is failure because of accidentally maintaining it for so long when 125 is "just" 5-7 pounds lighter why can't I stick it out?

I guess this is kind of my question to answer but I needed a rant.

Sounds like recomp might be good for you.

I'm very similar to you in height, weight, goal weight and struggles. I would also love to weigh 125lbs--a completely arbitrary goal. Like you, I have managed it a couple of times but have a heck of a time maintaining it for any length of time. Like you, I hover between 130-133lbs. Like you, I got frustrated by the two steps forward, one step back...As a result, I stopped trying to lose quite some time ago (wow, coming on 2 years now) and have been doing recomp since then. It's very slow but, the other day, I put on a pair of pants I just barely fit into last summer and was pleasantly surprised to discover they are quite comfy now even though my scale weight hasn't budged in aaaaaaages.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    brenn24179 wrote: »
    weight watchers tells me to weigh 145, I am 5'4. It seems easy to maintain 158-162 so I am happy there. So 10-15 pounds heavy is fine with me, I was 208 at one time so I am happy to be here. I also think it is easier for those who have skinny legs or no boobs, you have to allow for that and figure out what weight looks good on you. Cant be perfect.

I partly agree with what you said but I think this mindset can easily lead to excuses for maintaining a weight which still poses health risks. You can not solely rely on BMI though as some are healthy with a BMI slightly above 25. BMI is pretty accurate for most of the population but determining your lean muscle mass will always give a more accurate portrayal of where you are at.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Addictead wrote: »
    LKArgh wrote: »
    Do you feel happy about yourself where you are now? I am at a similar BMI right now, 24, which is the result of a disastrous year and emotional eating for me, and I do not feel or look good, as most of my life I was somewhere around 20. But, my best friend is actually heavier than me, and looks awesome, and of course is not trying to lose. There is no magic BMI that is perfect for everyone, different body types, different lifestyles all play a role.

I'm actaully really happy with where I am, I feel great and look fine! Which is why I feel so uncertain about losing weight again. I know I CAN but I don't know if I want to

Then you have your answer :) Why fix something that is not broken?