What helped you lose "the last 10?"

10 more pounds to go. I currently don't have any intense cardio in my routine, so I'm hoping that adding spin once/twice a week gets these last 10 pounds off slowly.

What helped you?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    The last 10 lbs can be slow for many, water weight can mask progress, also you don't have as much wiggle room in your deficit as you used to and it can be easy to go over your goal. Many people find they have to be super accurate with their food scale... weighing and measuring, everyday, consistently.

For me I just kept track of my weight and kept eating a bit less the leaner I got. Also using a trend weight app to sort through the fluctuations, being patient and using diet breaks as needed. I personally don't track my calories although I would recommend it if you are having trouble losing.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    edited August 2019
    My last #10 was to get from 135 to 125 (pretty lean at 5-7”), I did it by going 100% plant based for 3 months. No meat, dairy or proceeded foods. It stayed off when I stayed on that path, but ultimately couldn’t make it work and still have a life. As I added back in that stuff, I creeped back up.

ETA: not recommending that route, just honestly answering the question.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    Truthfully, pretty much the same way I'd lost the previous 40 pounds, just slower and therefore with more patience needed.

Cardio, including intense cardio (not toooooo often**) is good for your heart, circulation and health, so it's worth doing, especially if you find a modality you enjoy. It will burn some extra calories and give you some wiggle room on intake, plus has the potential** to help your energy level. OTOH, some people find that exercise, or perhaps specifically intense exercises in some case, will increase appetite. Since that last is individualized, there's no real way to know until you try it.

** "Too much" cardio, or "too much intense cardio" is not some objective bright line. All that I mean is that for any given person at their current fitness/conditioning level, there's some duration/frequency/intensity of exercise that is energizing for the rest of one's day(s) (perhaps after a brief "whew" feeling right after exercise). Much more cardio than that will potentially be fatiguing, causing a person to rest more and move less in daily life because they're tired, and that reduced movement wipes out some of the calorie benefit of the exercise. As the person gets fitter, the duration/frequency/intensity of exercise can gradually increase, and still not be too fatiguing. So "too much cardio" is a relative thing, not an absolute.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    it took me 3 months to lost 25 lbs and another 4 months to lose 5 lbs and another 4 months to lose 5 more. Yep it came off slower and then I gained 5 lbs back and stayed there and still cant get that other 5 lbs off but it is ok to stay here with 30 lbs off, happy.
  • coffeexxeyes
    coffeexxeyes Posts: 35 Member
    Thanks y'all! ❤ it's refreshing to hear that this slow down seems to be completely normal. Let's keep it up!