How often do you guys cook?

13»

Replies

• jacqueliny
    jacqueliny Posts: 7 Member
    I get support from remembering how long it took my mom to cook dinners in the 60’s and 70’s and how long it took grandma to cook on the farm for 7 kids. Life is moving now at such a fast pace but this focus on eating better is something super important to me. Sometimes I feel like I’m obsessing about it all. It’s kind of like swimming against the tide ... I believe you’ve got to get used to doing that. Learning to say no to food that’s merely convenient. I also get a lot of support through my Lord. I love how food is all through his word: manna, fasting, kosher, Passover. When I’m eating well I’m not depressed. I know I didn’t exactly reply to how I manage my food but hopefully letting you know what I think about helps.
  • warukimedesu
    warukimedesu Posts: 27 Member
    As often as I can, which means breakfast and dinner on most days. I find it easier to stick to my nutrition plan if I cook/prepare most of my meals. Eating out often makes counting calories and macros very difficult.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    I cook something every day. I'm single, so it is super easy and I have a grocery store in my neighborhood for quick runs.
  • klrenn
    klrenn Posts: 245 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I cook everyday. I don't go to the grocery store everyday...that's where planning comes in. Plan your meals on the weekend and go shopping. It's easy.

I do not have time for that...not at all. But...it's easy...for YOU...so...good for you.

While I won’t go so far as to say it’s easy, I do find one grocery trip a week to be far less time consuming overall (as well as less expensive) compared to going every day.

15min to choose 5 dinners (we eat leftovers pretty often, and my husband likes having the option of choosing a last minute nice dinner on the weekend ) and make a rough shopping list, only one drive to and from the store, only waiting in the checkout line once (when I go every day I tend to get to the store at the busiest time and wait extra long in line)

And then I have all my ingredients and don’t have to think about food for the rest of the week. Breakfasts and lunches tend to be the same staples we keep in the fridge and cabinet all the time (eggs, yogurt, beans, cheese, tuna, salad, etc), so no extra thought needed there.

I hate to cook, so my husband usually takes care of that unless it’s an instant pot meal...though with our schedules (and our teenagers’) we tend to eat at 9pm. Yeah...time...

Overall, though, I feel like it’s not time that’s the issue with a weekly plan/shop, but the mental aspect (I find it daunting sometimes and put it off even though I know everyone is happier and calmer when I do)
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    klrenn wrote: »
    Overall, though, I feel like it’s not time that’s the issue with a weekly plan/shop, but the mental aspect (I find it daunting sometimes and put it off even though I know everyone is happier and calmer when I do)
    It's such a sensible, prudent thing to do that I've really tried to get past the mental aspect in the past, but eventually I just had to concede defeat on that one. It really is just beyond my capabilities.

I get the feeling that a lot of neurotypicals probably find it difficult or impossible, but that it's harder not to be labelled a lazy quitter if you don't have another label to excuse you.
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 527 Member
    I cook for two, three times a day. Occasional out to dinner, but we try to keep that to once or twice a month.
  • Susan3758
    Susan3758 Posts: 77 Member
    I cook everyday, but nothing too fancy, just good honest fair, healthy and nutritious. I shop once a week, big shop then odds and ends s few times a week. I like too make soup and freeze it even in the summer time. I keep it simple and tend to eat same food week to week, it makes it easier to calculate my calorie intake. I lost 54lbs in 6mths and have been maintaining for 2 years so it works for me. Everyone is different i have been lucky and not found it easy. I know only to well it can be alot more difficult for some. Good luck ☺️
  • klrenn
    klrenn Posts: 245 Member
    It's such a sensible, prudent thing to do that I've really tried to get past the mental aspect in the past, but eventually I just had to concede defeat on that one. It really is just beyond my capabilities.

I get the feeling that a lot of neurotypicals probably find it difficult or impossible, but that it's harder not to be labelled a lazy quitter if you don't have another label to excuse you.

So, a weekly shop really works for me if I can get over the hurdle of making myself do it while it doesn’t work for you. There are other areas of life where it’s probably reversed. If the title of this post were “how often do you clean your house” then I’d be the one conceding defeat. I’ve tried so many methods and after 20 years I’ve realized that my house will be a disaster until about 5 minutes before I have guests scheduled to come over :s easy for some, impossible for me
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member

So, a weekly shop really works for me if I can get over the hurdle of making myself do it while it doesn’t work for you. There are other areas of life where it’s probably reversed. If the title of this post were “how often do you clean your house” then I’d be the one conceding defeat. I’ve tried so many methods and after 20 years I’ve realized that my house will be a disaster until about 5 minutes before I have guests scheduled to come over :s easy for some, impossible for me

I'm exactly the same way with housework!

The "if you just try hard enough to be like everyone else!" thing has never and will never work for me, so I shifted my mindset. A weakness is only a weakness until you find a strategy to work around it.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member

I'm exactly the same way with housework!

The "if you just try hard enough to be like everyone else!" thing has never and will never work for me, so I shifted my mindset. A weakness is only a weakness until you find a strategy to work around it.

I love that.

We shop once a week usually and cook almost every night. The barbecue makes that easy this time of year and it's better when my wife and I team up. I also get home from work an hour earlier than she does, so I'll get dinner together so she can prop her feet up and relax.

It's really a no pressure deal here. If we want to cook, great. If not, it gives me an excuse for peanut butter sandwiches. :p
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Daily. We are a family of five, three of them hungry boys. I cook a super meal daily and often add baking in too(breakfast muffins, items for them to take to work/school, etc). I like to prep ahead when possible. I will make pizza crusts and freeze them so the kids can add toppings and bake for weekend lunches or late night friends coming over(we live in the boonies, no takeout), if I make soup or chilli I freeze half, I will roast or smoke two chickens and part one out into single serving sizes to pop in the freezer. Planning ahead saves me running to the store more than weekly, though somtimes food is more last minute than I would like. I have some go to meals that I can get together in half an hour even when having to start with frozen meat.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    On a normal week I cook almost all of my meals myself at home (except on pizza night Fridays) and I usually cook a different meal for my hubby for dinner.

Planning my meals ahead, grocery shopping once a week and doing some light meal prepping on Sundays helps me to stay in control of my weight.

I love to cook and I like knowing exactly what I'm consuming. I have a binder full of my recipes that has macros and calories broken down which makes it easy.

It took me years and lots of trial and error to get to this point compared to grabbing fast food daily when I was overweight/obese. So I don't want to make it sound like it has been easy, but it has been so worth the effort to figure things out.
  • mikeedinburgh
    mikeedinburgh Posts: 38 Member
    Pretty much every day as I like cooking but sometimes if I’ll batch cook and prep then it’s just a case of assembling.
  • DiscusTank5
    DiscusTank5 Posts: 329 Member
    My cooking philosophy is "cook once, eat twice (or more!)"

Ex. 1. I bought a rotisserie chicken about three days ago, had it for one meal, then yesterday used the leftovers to make chicken enchiladas: see https://www.cookinglight.com/recipes/20-minute-chicken-enchiladas. We'll have them for at least one, probably two more suppers. The recipe made 9 rather than 6 servings.

Ex. 2. For breakfast these days I like variations on basic oatmeal. This morning I made a pot of oatmeal with peaches and raspberries, and I'll have that for breakfast again on Sun. and Mon. My husband is more of a PB&J on toast guy. Like others on here, sometimes breakfast is a cheese stick and hot tea or a yogurt as I drive to work.