Thoughts, Epiphanies, Insights, & Quotables

NovusDies
NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
Whether original or something you came across that helped or inspired you this is where you share it if you think it might help others.

Replies

• NovusDies
    It is what you learn after you know it all that counts

I am guilty of saying this often in the MFP forums. It goes well beyond weight loss but it basically means that you should never just assume you have all the answers. Always be open to growth. For weight loss I think it really means you should never stubbornly adhere to a plan. If it needs adapting or if it needs thrown out the window it is not a failure it just means you go a different route for a time. As Larger Losers we may experience this more because weight loss can have an impact on various hormone levels over time in a larger deficit. As hormone level are impacted there can be greater or lesser control over our appetites.
  • NovusDies
    You don't have to love what you do to lose weight but you can't hate it.

This is one of mine. At least I think it is. It is hard to know what are truly original thoughts.

Probably self-explanatory but I do not believe that being miserable is sustainable. There are many ways to achieve a calorie deficit and there are many ways to exercise so making smart choices for ourselves is critical. I also like to say we want to push ourselves not shove ourselves.
  • NovusDies
    Comparison is the thief of joy

The first obvious meaning is not to compare yourself to other people. Be happy with where you are and what you are accomplishing. There are lots of things some of you are doing that I would like to be doing right now too and it is okay to use those as motivation but I shouldn't get so fixated on what I can't do as this exact moment that it overshadows what I have done for myself in the last 18 months.

When it comes to weight loss I think this also applies to comparing yourself to a past version of yourself. I can remember being at the weight I am now a long time ago and I could do so many more things. Dwelling on that does me no good either.

I doubt any of us could practice this perfectly so I use it as something to tell myself when I feel myself getting lost in it for a moment.
  • kosseychick
    kosseychick Posts: 244 Member
    Your mindset is everything..
  • NovusDies
    Don't major in the minors

This basically means that you should not get fixated on the stuff that has minimal impact. A good example of this is the Thermic Effect of Food (TEF). TEF measures the amount of energy it takes for the body to consume calories from specific sources and that is typically macros. Yes, if you could eat an all protein diet you will probably lose at a rate just slightly faster than 3500 calories per pound but it would also kill you. Your body needs fat.

It is best to consider things like that as no more than an intellectual pursuit not a directly applicable one. Sustainability is, imo, always majoring in the majors.

• NovusDies
    The only way past is through

I love this saying. I find myself saying this to myself when I don't really look forward to a task that I need to do to achieve a desired result. I just need to roll up my sleeves, cop the best attitude I can about it, and get it done.