Ladies who've lost weight: when did you refocus you efforts to building muscle?

coffeexxeyes
coffeexxeyes Posts: 35 Member
I have 9.5 pounds to go until I'm at 23% body fat. I'm thinking this will be a good place to quit trying to lose weight and start gaining more muscle. I'm new to this, so I appreciate your thoughts if you have experience with cutting/bulking. Thanks!

Ps: I'm currently quite active, so I've been building muscle while also losing weight. I can't wait until I can eat maintenance and get even stronger. Thanks again ❤

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I started bulk/cut cycles after I lost the baby weight after my 1st baby and did not lift while I lost to maintain muscle, so I ended up with less than stellar body composition (for me personally) despite hitting a very low weight.

I have run 3 bulk/cut cycles so far and I am very happy with the results. However, it's not always an easy route for many to deliberately gain weight then lose it again and again. It's also not necessary for many people's goals.

If you want to improve your body composition and don't want to lose more, I would look into recomp.. so eating at maintenance while progressive resistance/lifting to lose fat and build muscle over time.
  • I lost about 40 pounds 8 years ago just calorie counting. Got into lifting about 2 years ago. I also suck at dieting but am excellent at bulking and can do it all too easily. I Have just been trying to maintain at 140 pounds while following various lifting programmes including strong lifts, thinner leaner stronger, strong curves and currently phul. It is a very slow process though. Like it’s only just now into my 3rd year that I even look remotely like I lift
  • sardelsa
    I lost about 40 pounds 8 years ago just calorie counting. Got into lifting about 2 years ago. I also suck at dieting but am excellent at bulking and can do it all too easily. I Have just been trying to maintain at 140 pounds while following various lifting programmes including strong lifts, thinner leaner stronger, strong curves and currently phul. It is a very slow process though. Like it’s only just now into my 3rd year that I even look remotely like I lift

I've been at it over 5 years and I still don't look like I lift! :D:'(
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    I lifted the whole time, but switched from a "weight loss focus with lifting" to a "lifting focus with slow weight loss" after I achieved my first weight loss goal, which got me into a healthy BMI for my height.

I have continued a very slow loss, eating between maintenance and just under for almost a year. I'm okay with where I am weight-wise now, I'm not trying to lose anymore, even slowly, although if it happens it happens.

I'm considering trying bulk/cut cycles in the future.

For the record, it's only been 18 months for me and I feel that I "look like I lift" - I don't look like a bodybuilder, I look like I lift. My shoulders and my traps show the evidence the most, but even my pecs are starting to look musclier in lower cut shirts. It's awesome.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I lost about 40 pounds 8 years ago just calorie counting. Got into lifting about 2 years ago. I also suck at dieting but am excellent at bulking and can do it all too easily. I Have just been trying to maintain at 140 pounds while following various lifting programmes including strong lifts, thinner leaner stronger, strong curves and currently phul. It is a very slow process though. Like it’s only just now into my 3rd year that I even look remotely like I lift

I've been at it over 5 years and I still don't look like I lift! :D:'(

Yes you do silly! I took the route of lifting the entire time and have been in a slow three year recompbulk (adding about 10lbs).

Oh you are too kind! I get the "oh you are so fit do you do yoga/ Orange Theory?" Not that there is anything wrong with those of course!
  • megleighd
    megleighd Posts: 53 Member
    I've lost 110lb and have 30 to go, but feel it's time to start adding in weight lifting to help define the areas that are "sagging". I just joined a gym for this reason yesterday.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    I came in here because I am 10-12kg from my goal healthy weight and am wanting to start recomp but feel like I still have loads of fat. Should I lift yet or just focus on dropping the fat atm?
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    I started lifting two years ago when I started counting calories. Lost 25 pounds, (200 size 16 to 175 size 12) then fell off the food wagon but kept lifting.
    Regained the weight but still lifting. Now I'm starting with watching my calories again but even though I'm 206, I'm a size 14. Lift heavy things. It's worth it.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    I started lifting when I started reading these posts from women who lifted. Everything I read said to start now, don't wait, etc. So a year ago, I took the plunge. No, I don't "look like I lift" and I still have a minimum of 10 pounds to drop, probably closer to 15, but I LOVE how strong I am. I love the feeling of knowing what I'm doing for my body. And it has helped with my knee pain, and my swimming and running are stronger for it :)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    I started lifting day 1 of weight loss
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I incorporated strength basically the whole time, but actually learned how to lift heavy weights a little later. I think being strong is empowering and gives you self confidence.
  • Alia_R
    Alia_R Posts: 410 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I came in here because I am 10-12kg from my goal healthy weight and am wanting to start recomp but feel like I still have loads of fat. Should I lift yet or just focus on dropping the fat atm?

"Recomp" generally means to maintain your weight while building muscle. You can lift while bulking, maintaining, or losing weight. And honestly, there is no bad time to start resistance training. Your muscle strength is important regardless of which direction your weight is headed, and you could easily make the case that it is extra important to do some kind of strength training while eating in a deficit to ensure you lose as little muscle as possible. :smile:

I've just recently decided to stick with recomping. I was doing it for 8 months. I did lose quite a bit of body fat, but not without the help of intense cardio 2 - 3 times a week (I'm doing it twice a week now). I've learned to not pay too much attention to the numbers on the scale, but with the amount of inches lost.
  • jesslifts
    jesslifts Posts: 34 Member
    This is all really handy, thanks for posting! I have reached a plateau doing cardio and want to start a lifting programme alongside it.