Building glutes

Hi guys! I am trying to build my glutes. I understand I need to eat at a surplus. Currently I only train 3 days a week. Glutes only. Do I need to eat at a surplus everyday? I don’t want to gain a lot of fat with muscle. Please give me advice. Thank you!

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I would keep your surplus consistent everyday. To keep fat gain at bay just keep the surplus smaller.
  • kelim1990
    kelim1990 Posts: 8 Member
    @sardelsa @chieflrg thank you both. How much of a surplus do you all recommend?
  • sardelsa
    I would aim for 0.5lb gain per week or less, so about 250 cals above maintenance.
  • mikeedinburgh
    mikeedinburgh Posts: 38 Member
    I’d go about 200 above maintenance in the shape of good quality protein, maybe a little more on squat days!
  • Devil_Dawg
    Devil_Dawg Posts: 167 Member
    Alot of Squats and leg lifts
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,913 Member
    I also came here to say Bret Contreras and add Mark Carroll to that (Mark is Bret's protege, so same *kitten*, different package, lots of women with all the glutes)

Good luck, and do some glute work for me. I hate it but really should do more of it.
  • Zhenmentality
    Zhenmentality Posts: 11 Member
    Building any kind of muscle, higher protein intake is the most important! Hipthrusts have helped shape my *kitten* big time! Started almost a year ago and i've gotten up to 290lbs at 115lb bodyweight. Aim for 30% protein for your macro goals. Carbs& fats can be interchangeable. Say you went over 11 in carbs, but you have 11 left in fats. That balances out. I use JEFIT App to keep track of lifts. Its like facebook, but for fitness. https://www.jefit.com/app/?r=5462537
  • Zhenmentality
    Zhenmentality Posts: 11 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    zeejay19 wrote: »
    Building any kind of muscle, higher protein intake is the most important! Hipthrusts have helped shape my *kitten* big time! Started almost a year ago and i've gotten up to 290lbs at 115lb bodyweight. Aim for 30% protein for your macro goals. Carbs& fats can be interchangeable. Say you went over 11 in carbs, but you have 11 left in fats. That balances out. I use JEFIT App to keep track of lifts. Its like facebook, but for fitness. https://www.jefit.com/app/?r=5462537

The problem with dealing with % is that is depends on intake. 30% would put me at 263g of protein according to my last bulking intake. Way overkill for someone who is only 130-145lbs. Using g of protein per lb/lean body mass is more accurate.

Ahh, yes, very good point!! I believe to 0.75-1g of Protein/ lb of body weight is ideal for making gains.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    edited August 2019

The problem with dealing with % is that is depends on intake. 30% would put me at 263g of protein according to my last bulking intake. Way overkill for someone who is only 130-145lbs. Using g of protein per lb/lean body mass is more accurate.

Agree on the grams per lb. But to be honest 3500 calories for a 130-145 pound female is a probably a bit on the far end of the bell curve and 30% of calories would be a reasonable range for many and would correspond to the gram per pound of lean body mass.
  • sardelsa
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

Agree on the grams per lb. But to be honest 3500 calories for a 130-145 pound female is a probably a bit on the far end of the bell curve and 30% of calories would be a reasonable range for many and would correspond to the gram per pound of lean body mass.

Maybe so but even at 2500 cals (which is pretty average for gaining) that is around 188g so still high. Grams is based on bodyweight/goalweight/LBM and avoids these issues
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited August 2019
    If you’re going to train your glutes you might as well do the rest of your body- just don’t be like that guy at the gym who just does chest and nothing else..

Yeah, generally good to be balanced overall & less frustrating not seeing progress when over-prioritizing. Throwing all your eggs in one basket is obviously going to have diminishing returns... Still, nothing wrong with prioritizing one bodypart over the whole so long as it's not to the point of neglect.

Mike Israetel going over more specifically/objective info how to prioritize one bodypart, quantifying reps/sets/frequency:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEDgE6Wh1U0
  • Lolalikeslolagets
    Lolalikeslolagets Posts: 142 Member
    If you’re going to train your glutes you might as well do the rest of your body- just don’t be like that guy at the gym who just does chest and nothing else..

Yeah, generally good to be balanced overall & less frustrating not seeing progress when over-prioritizing. Throwing all your eggs in one basket is obviously going to have diminishing returns... Still, nothing wrong with prioritizing one bodypart over the whole so long as it's not to the point of neglect.

Mike Israetel going over more specifically/objective info how to prioritize one bodypart, quantifying reps/sets/frequency:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEDgE6Wh1U0

Love Dr. Mike!
  • surjiosurjio
    surjiosurjio Posts: 33 Member
    Heavy lunges 💪🏽💪🏽💪🏽💪🏽
  • vasanakeokham
    vasanakeokham Posts: 3 Member
    It’s best to just train a full body workout. Proportionally is definitely more appealing. I’m 5’1 @ 110lbs currently and I carry most of my muscles on my lower body; quads, hamstrings, and glutes. I do isolation workouts, my protein intake is roughly 120-150/g, 2500-3000 calories, and allow myself 1-2lbs max a week in weight gain. It’ll fluctuate with water content. But my goal is 120-130 in a few months. Now being 5’1 that’s a lot to add and maintain.