Does anyone else lose weight nonlinearly?

Thin_Thesis
Thin_Thesis Posts: 3 Member
edited July 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
It’s so frustrating because I average a pound a week, but I only see that trend after a month or two. In the meantime, the scale goes so up and down not only from day-to-day, but week-to-week! It makes me feel like I’ll never hit my goal. But sure enough, if I stick with it, the trend tends to even out. It just makes everything so much less predictable :(

Replies

• LouVee186000
    LouVee186000 Posts: 81 Member
    It’s so frustrating because I average a pound a week, but I only see that trend after a month or two. In the meantime, the scale goes so up and down not only from day-to-day, but week-to-week! It makes me feel like I’ll never hit my goal. But sure enough, if I stick with it, the trend tends to even out. It just makes everything so much less predictable :(

Yep, same for me. I've been weighing daily for about six months and the overall trend is good, but the daily can be frustrating. Still, I prefer the daily data.

• lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Non linear here. Typically I flatline for a while and then get a sudden 4-5 days of large daily weight loss, e.g. 6 pounds in 5 days. Then another flatline. The flatlines are frustrating, but the sudden drops are fun!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I have only seen one person who had a fluctuation in her last 5 pounds that claimed she never saw one in the 40 she lost before. I am not sure of her weighing schedule.

I assume I lose fat weight linearly. I just can't see it on the bathroom scale that way.
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    I think everyone loses weight in a linear manner but it doesnt show on the scale like that, the 2 things are not the same.

Ive had about 3-4 weeks of not really seeing much difference, bouncing about between a couple of pounds, perhaps a pound off, then this week, in a matter of days the scale shows 4lbs off. But those 4lbs I think came off me during that 3-4 week period, its just that the scale didnt show it, I could tell by a bracelet I wear all the time.

So now Im anticpating the next 3-4 weeks will be the same and then I'll show another lump sum off my weight on the scale.

(this is all assuming that you're sticking to the right deficit I suppose)
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Yes, nearly everyone will sometime during the time they’re losing. Some not until they get close to goal. If you weigh yourself only once a month it may not be noticeable.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    My weight loss graph would look like the path a bouncy ball takes down a hill if I reported everything.

Humans are never perfectly predictable. Best to come to terms with that sooner than later.
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    It has certainly helped me see how my own body seems to be working itself out. Although having said that, what I would have seen is 3 weeks at more or less the same weight and then the 4th week down 4lbs so I suppose its much the same
  • Thin_Thesis
    Thin_Thesis Posts: 3 Member
    Perfect example of why you shouldn't weigh yourself every day. I recommend doing it on a schedule at the same time, each time. Like say every Monday morning while you brush your teeth for example. Doing it every day will give you moments of doubt as you see the changes go up and down or stay the same. Same goes for doing it at different times of the day instead of always at the same time. This can also cause anxiety for some people, and can be harmful to your success. But if you give it a larger amount of time, you are far more likely to see the small amounts of loss between check-ins. Which for most people will help with the mental part of losing the weight. Just keep doing what you are doing and only tip the scale once every so often to check it.

I thought about that, but the fluctations happen week to week too. It literally feels like I’d have to do month to month to see it on the scale. Though, I take progress pics monthly which really help because no matter what the stupid scales says, my body is smaller which I suppose is all that matters in the end, right? (Aside from energy, hydration, and all that other good healthy stuff).

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact I eat 1200 cals one day, 2300 the next, then 1500. I just can’t seem to eat the same amount of cals every day! I thought it had something to do with undereating, but I’ve eaten up to 4000 cals after days of eating 2300. I just need to duct tape my mouth! In all seriousness, I know I have trouble binge eating and a therapist who seems very unhelpful in that department other than I need to “stick to a plan”. The internet has much better tips on how to stick to said plan lol
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    We always blame it on gravity fluctuations. " Heavy gravity day" we will yell to each other when stepping on the scale and getting a disappointing result. ;)