August Maintainers Back On Track

I’m finding this thread really helpful, so I’m keeping it going for August.
This challenge is specific to Maintainers who may have lost a little enthusiasm along the journey to better health or simply need to refocus efforts - let’s use this space as a discussion / accountability thread to get back on track and ultimately back in goal range. Check in as often as you like (weekly or bi-weekly preferred).

I just ask that you focus on up to three things:

1. Your current goal - can be big (like run a 10k or lose 10 lbs by Christmas) or small (like eat at a deficit 2 days a week or lose 1/2 lb a week)
2. Recent success - this can be tied to your goal (lost 3 lbs!) or a completely separate NSV (lost a pant size or ran a mile without stopping)
3. Strategy - how are you planning to meet your goal?

Here goes...

Name:
How long in maintenance:
Goal maintenance range:
Current weight:
Current goal:
Recent success:
Strategy for your goal:

Replies

• Nijntjepleintje
    Nijntjepleintje Posts: 17 Member
    Name: Nijntje
    How long in maintenance: around 1 year
    Goal maintenance range: 112-118
    Trendweight 28th July: 121.7
    Trendweight 3rd August: 120.8
    Current goal: 116
    Recent successes: Had a sensible week even though I’ve been off work and out of regular routine (often a situation where I mindlessly eat). Trend is slowly heading back down again.
    Strategies for success: Being mindful about why I’m eating when eating has helped a little with the snacking - I shall try to continue this. I’m weighing in a day early as I’m off to visit friends for the weekend where there will be much food - I’m hoping being mindful about what I’m eating will help me navigate that sensibly and with control.
    Have a great week everybody!
  • nooie19
    nooie19 Posts: 153 Member
    So glad I found this thread! I am grateful that at least I’m still within my normal BMI, but I was definitely trending upward and falling back on my habit of emotional eating. I will check in at least every Sunday.

Name: Elaine
    How long in maintenance: Since October 2018
    Goal maintenance range: 128-134
    Current weight: 139
    Current goal: Reach my goal range before my birthday on September 19th, which is about one pound a week.
    Recent success:
    I’ve lost 1.5 pounds since last week.
    I’ve stopped eating ice cream and other sweets in the late evening.
    Strategy for your goal:
    1. Eat fruit after dinner instead of sweets.
    2. Meditate every morning.
    3. Log food/exercise in my diet app (I’m in a different program than MFP but still like to use MFP for weigh ins and discussions).
    4. Exercise at least ten minutes a day.
  • nooie19
    Nijntje. I am a teacher so I’ve also had not much structure while on summer break.So going back to work this Thursday will definitely help. I’m really good at packing healthy lunch salads for work. My school also has lots of candy and treats in the teachers lounge and meetings but I’ve learned to say no to all of it. Oh and sugarless gum helps tremendously.
  • nooie19
    Baconslave. What is 4:3 ADF? And what is IF? Thanks!
    My husband has learned to not get involved with my dieting efforts. I get very sensitive about it because he’s never been overweight. In fact right now he needs to gain weight for health reasons so he’s eating a lot of ice cream. And strangely I never made that connection until just now! The more I watch him eat vanilla ice cream and ice cream bars at night, the more I’m craving my own favorite ice cream flavors, which I eat when he and my daughter are not around.
  • nooie19
    And my daughter who is very thin is now working at an ice cream shop! 😂
    I thought it would help that she and her dad both like my least favorite flavor vanilla but apparently not. I’m still getting caught up in “life’s not fair” which is completely irrational. I had my daughter’s high matabolism too at her age. And my husband may not struggle with overeating but he has some other bad habits he struggles with just as much as I do.
  • gvizzle74
    gvizzle74 Posts: 123 Member
    How long in maintenance: almost 3.5 years
    Goal maintenance range: 138-142
    Current weight: 145 (looking at you camping, all i wanna do is put on bug spray and eat)
    Current goal: get back to 140 lbs, master the one leg deadlift
    Recent success: didn't eat all the cookies i made last night (just 2)
    Strategy for your goal: same strategy as always - calories in vs. calories out...and maybe not making such big cookies
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    nooie19 wrote: »
    My husband has learned to not get involved with my dieting efforts. I get very sensitive about it because he’s never been overweight. In fact right now he needs to gain weight for health reasons so he’s eating a lot of ice cream. And strangely I never made that connection until just now! The more I watch him eat vanilla ice cream and ice cream bars at night, the more I’m craving my own favorite ice cream flavors, which I eat when he and my daughter are not around.

ADF- Alternate day fasting
    4:3- 4 days eating/3 days fasting
    IF- intermittent fasting (fasting off and on) (or TRE- Time-Restricted Eating)

With ADF, you eat a very tiny bit on fast days, and then eat more on non-fasting days, achieving an overall calorie deficit. I use it as constant low-calories required to lose at this weight makes me exhausted EVERY DAY. With ADF, I have fuel for strength training on some days. So I'm not exhausted and weak all the time like I am with a big deficit every single day. I have Chronic Fatigue anyway, and more tired/weak on top of that just doesn't work for me to accomplish anything.
  • nooie19
    baconslave wrote: »

ADF- Alternate day fasting
    4:3- 4 days eating/3 days fasting
    IF- intermittent fasting (fasting off and on) (or TRE- Time-Restricted Eating)

With ADF, you eat a very tiny bit on fast days, and then eat more on non-fasting days, achieving an overall calorie deficit. I use it as constant low-calories required to lose at this weight makes me exhausted EVERY DAY. With ADF, I have fuel for strength training on some days. So I'm not exhausted and weak all the time like I am with a big deficit every single day. I have Chronic Fatigue anyway, and more tired/weak on top of that just doesn't work for me to accomplish anything.

Ok thanks for clarifying! I do better with three meals a day plus one snack but know lots of people who do well with fasting. I’m glad you’ve found something that works well for you!
  • bettina8037
    bettina8037 Posts: 34 Member
    Name: bettina
    How long in maintenance: about 6 months
    Goal maintenance range: 128-132
    Current weight: 135
    Current goal: 130
    Recent success: lost 2 pounds in the past month! I stopped weighing and logging for a little over a month (late may to early july) and gained 7 pounds back which is still insane to me. I was trying intuitive eating but my clothes got tight so I was like...let's step on the scale. Holy cow didn't expect to see 137! Very disappointing since I didnt feel like I was overeating. But yeah with logging and weighing this last month I'm down 2 pounds and my clothes already feel better so very excited for that.
    Strategy for your goal: continue to log food daily. In past I ate 1500 calories a day which eventually ended in cravings and over indulging so this time around I've been eating 1800 or so and losing a half pound a week instead of 1lb a week. Feels pretty good but it is hard to see slow progress.
  • nooie19
    Recent success: lost 2 pounds in the past month! I stopped weighing and logging for a little over a month (late may to early july) and gained 7 pounds back which is still insane to me. I was trying intuitive eating but my clothes got tight so I was like...let's step on the scale. Holy cow didn't expect to see 137! Very disappointing since I didnt feel like I was overeating. But yeah with logging and weighing this last month I'm down 2 pounds and my clothes already feel better so very excited for that.
    Strategy for your goal: continue to log food daily. In past I ate 1500 calories a day which eventually ended in cravings and over indulging so this time around I've been eating 1800 or so and losing a half pound a week instead of 1lb a week. Feels pretty good but it is hard to see slow progress.

Wow we’re pretty closely matched! I gained six pounds in 16 days of not weighing myself! It has never worked for me to ignore the scale. I have plenty of stretch in my clothes and a large capacity for denial so it doesn’t work for me to see how my clothes fit. In the past when I got up to 158 pounds I actually stopped buying pants and only wore loose dresses and skirts with elastic waists! How’s that for denial? 😀
  • bettina8037
    bettina8037 Posts: 34 Member

Wow we’re pretty closely matched! I gained six pounds in 16 days of not weighing myself! It has never worked for me to ignore the scale. I have plenty of stretch in my clothes and a large capacity for denial so it doesn’t work for me to see how my clothes fit. In the past when I got up to 158 pounds I actually stopped buying pants and only wore loose dresses and skirts with elastic waists! How’s that for denial? 😀

Yeah isn't it so crazy!? I was so shocked to see the scale jump so high. I think I can eventually get to a place where I dont log daily but I am pretty sure I will always have to weigh regularly. Maintenance is definitely a learning curve! Got to figure out what works
  • amyvanblaricom
    amyvanblaricom Posts: 62 Member
    Name: Amy
    How long in maintenance: 3.5 years
    Goal maintenance range: 130-145
    Current weight:135
    Current goal:130
    Recent success: I've had people mention I must have a good metabolism. They don't see the work that goes into maintaining for me. My work shows and I've had enough power to keep doing it even with some fluctuation.
    Strategy for your goal: Eat clean and lean throughout the week with a day or two during the weekend to "eat normal". Continue to add alternatives to meals with my kids. Example- Pasta for my kids, veggie or miracle noodles for me and still enjoy lean meatballs and homemade sauce. Thus far it has seemed to work. It's a bit harder when I begin to bake like I love to do.
  • Nijntjepleintje
    Nijntje. I am a teacher so I’ve also had not much structure while on summer break.So going back to work this Thursday will definitely help. I’m really good at packing healthy lunch salads for work. My school also has lots of candy and treats in the teachers lounge and meetings but I’ve learned to say no to all of it. Oh and sugarless gum helps tremendously.

It sounds like we’re in similar boats - although I think you’re definitely ahead of me in saying no to office treats - still a struggle for me.
    I’d like to be in a place mentally where I don’t need to be in control of a routine in order to make good food choices - I think that’s still my real problem
  • Nijntjepleintje
    Trendweight 10th August: 119.4
    Recent successes: stayed on track, and had a big old whoosh this week! Yay!
    Strategies for success: keep focused! Off routine again this week as my father is visiting this weekend, then I’m away for a few days to see my mother - so - I will try very hard to make good choices, and be mindful (but hopefully not obsessed!)
  • baconslave
    Not a lot to report. No scale victories, but no defeats either. I'm heading into another disruptive camping trip tomorrow. I'm going to try to keep everything maintenance as best I can and move around a lot.
  • baconslave
    Trendweight 10th August: 119.4
    Recent successes: stayed on track, and had a big old whoosh this week! Yay!
    Strategies for success: keep focused! Off routine again this week as my father is visiting this weekend, then I’m away for a few days to see my mother - so - I will try very hard to make good choices, and be mindful (but hopefully not obsessed!)

Crossing my fingers for you, too.
  • nooie19
    Name: Elaine
    How long in maintenance: Since October 2018
    Goal maintenance range: 128-134
    Current weight: 139
    Current goal: Reach my goal range before my birthday on September 19th, which is about one pound a week.

Recent success:
    I’m happy to be walking and meditating again. I gained half a pound this week but I’m going to keep my head in the game and stick to the good habits. This will be my first “real” week back at work and I have my lunch salads packed!

Strategy for your goal:
    1. Eat fruit after dinner instead of sweets.

✅ Did that this week and mostly just ate nothing.
    2. Meditate every morning.
    😊 Got five days in
    3. Log food/exercise in my diet app (I’m in a different program than MFP but still like to use MFP for weigh ins and discussions).
    😀 6 out of 7 days logged.
    4. Exercise at least ten minutes a day.
    ✅ I did revise my goal to four times a week and I walked for 20-60 minutes four times.
  • nooie19

It sounds like we’re in similar boats - although I think you’re definitely ahead of me in saying no to office treats - still a struggle for me.
    I’d like to be in a place mentally where I don’t need to be in control of a routine in order to make good food choices - I think that’s still my real problem

Yes I’ve thought that a lot too. I don’t know what the clear answer is for me ultimately. But for now, I’m accepting the fact that it’s easier to not eat the snacks at all than to try good old moderation. On Friday I had a training with an INSANE spread of bagels, chocolate, doughnuts, fruit. I could have done some portion control and fruit but it just felt easier to drink black coffee.
    Of course I also caved in to two slices of pizza and salad for lunch afterwards. That need to get a second slice (I hate you buffets!) was definitely stress-related.