New products that caught your eyes recently?

Replies

• Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    OKAY. So with Rebel, the product is good and I think the people behind the brand are in it for the right reasons, etc. But the branding: I got word that Van Leeuwen Ice Cream (based out of NYC) is filing charges against their packaging/branding because it is copycat and leads to consumer confusion. See below.

1epv0ev9n0ss.jpg
    aszwep2gj78i.jpg

Seriously? I honestly would not get confused based on the packaging alone as there are clear differences to me. Van Leeuwen doesn't own the market on pastels and script fonts. Maybe I'm siding against them because I live in NYC and have been to their ice cream truck. It's overpriced and doesn't taste great.
  • Maxematics
    edited August 2019
    Finally found this flavor at Grocery Outlet Angled_ChocChipCookieBatter.png

Meh slightly better than Arctic Zero's Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough (the one released before the new flavors), but only slightly. The base just tasted like bland Chocolate Chip Cookies that you would eat out of desperation when you want a sweet fix, but ran out of the tastier cookies in your snack cupboard. Didn't taste that sweet & wasn't reminiscent of the brownie/cake batters that you snuck tastes of while your mom/grandma weren't looking.

I also bought Cookies & Cream so not really holding my breath that it will taste much better.

It's a good thing you didn't care for it. Swell/Proyo went out of business.

I never tasted this brand so I don't know just how bad it is but it's amazing that they went out of business yet Wink Frozen Desserts just keeps on truckin'. Unless they changed their formula(s), that was by far the worst ice cream alternative I've ever tasted and so not worth the price point. Sorry to anyone that actually likes it.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    OKAY. So with Rebel, the product is good and I think the people behind the brand are in it for the right reasons, etc. But the branding: I got word that Van Leeuwen Ice Cream (based out of NYC) is filing charges against their packaging/branding because it is copycat and leads to consumer confusion. See below.

1epv0ev9n0ss.jpg
    aszwep2gj78i.jpg

The only thing similar in my opinion is the coloring. If someone mixes these two up then they need to learn to open their eyes.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,572 Member
    Maxematics wrote: »
    busyPK wrote: »
    I contacted Build Bars about the build your own box options and all I got was that sorry those flavors are not available in the build a box. No reason, just sorry. :/

Another brand I don't like... don't know the people behind it. And that's WHY I don't like this brand! It seems really suspicious IMO. I don't trust it.

I'm not the biggest fan of them either despite posting about the new bars and placing an order today. I wrote a rant like 20 pages ago how their customer service reps tried to convince me I ordered the box of Mint Brownie they sent me rather than their original Mint flavor despite presenting them with multiple pieces of evidence that I had indeed ordered Mint. I ended up letting it go since Mint Brownie ended up being the superior flavor but it didn't sit well with me.

If they just released the Mango flavor today and not a whole new line of bars, I probably would have passed but since I've had various successful orders with them in the past I gave them another chance. Also, I make this disclaimer in almost every post about Built bars but their bars are rarely 110 calories. By weight, most of mine are around 125. Not a big deal but that could add up for people who eat several per day.

I just bought a sample box a couple days ago, now I'm a bit concerned about dealing with them. I didn't wanna make a big purchase but the site said 100% money back guarantee so I figured it was worth trying it. I guess now I know ahead of time their customer service may be crap. 😐

Their customer service was ok by me but I don't think a good enough reason not to trust a company is because you don't know them...
  • glassyo
    I contacted Build Bars about the build your own box options and all I got was that sorry those flavors are not available in the build a box. No reason, just sorry. :/

Another brand I don't like... don't know the people behind it. And that's WHY I don't like this brand! It seems really suspicious IMO. I don't trust it.

I'm not the biggest fan of them either despite posting about the new bars and placing an order today. I wrote a rant like 20 pages ago how their customer service reps tried to convince me I ordered the box of Mint Brownie they sent me rather than their original Mint flavor despite presenting them with multiple pieces of evidence that I had indeed ordered Mint. I ended up letting it go since Mint Brownie ended up being the superior flavor but it didn't sit well with me.

If they just released the Mango flavor today and not a whole new line of bars, I probably would have passed but since I've had various successful orders with them in the past I gave them another chance. Also, I make this disclaimer in almost every post about Built bars but their bars are rarely 110 calories. By weight, most of mine are around 125. Not a big deal but that could add up for people who eat several per day.

I just bought a sample box a couple days ago, now I'm a bit concerned about dealing with them. I didn't wanna make a big purchase but the site said 100% money back guarantee so I figured it was worth trying it. I guess now I know ahead of time their customer service may be crap. 😐

To be fair, that was one order out of five; the other four went smoothly. I probably could have argued it further but I didn't feel like it was worth it. That being said, when presented with my evidence they shouldn't have doubled down on the denial either. Unless I was truly in the wrong, which I wasn't, I shouldn't have been dismissed in the way I was. If I ever do have another incident with them, I am done with the company though.

Yah that definitely isn't top notch customer service. I'm hoping I really like them so the purchase will be worthwhile.

Me too, I just made my first purchase. I was hoping customer service would say they'd let me switch out a bar for another flavor (or throw one in for free) that wasn't listed, but no such luck.

I was thinking of trying that but now I guess not!
  • glassyo
    cx5l4q7w075p.png

Soooooooooooo pretty. :)
  • glassyo

To be fair, that was one order out of five; the other four went smoothly. I probably could have argued it further but I didn't feel like it was worth it. That being said, when presented with my evidence they shouldn't have doubled down on the denial either. Unless I was truly in the wrong, which I wasn't, I shouldn't have been dismissed in the way I was. If I ever do have another incident with them, I am done with the company though.

I remember that saga and that truly sucked. They could have at least offered you some kind of compensation like built bucks.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    glassyo wrote: »

Their customer service was ok by me but I don't think a good enough reason not to trust a company is because you don't know them...

I'm not saying you need to **know** the people behind the brand, but Built doesn't have an "about us" section on their site and their social media is very impersonal
  • glassyo
    glassyo wrote: »

I'm not saying you need to **know** the people behind the brand, but Built doesn't have an "about us" section on their site and their social media is very impersonal

Ohhhhhh didn't notice that but it's rare I care about the history of a company unless I find out we don't agree on certain...issues.

They have free shipping, tho, so that's a huge plus and why I don't buy from Quest anymore unless they have a damned good sale.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    edited August 2019
    m2qvcav0cjte.png

The folks over at www.whatsgoodattraderjoes.com loved this, although it sounds like you should use it VERY VERY SPARINGLY. I'm intrigued and a little scared.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    For anyone who wants to try impossible burger. Can get free from Burger King just cancel trial on dash before the month ends.b48kite1fv9m.png
  • Sallyw2004
    Sallyw2004 Posts: 124 Member

I'd be tempted to try the Mango, and get the free cooler, if I hadn't just rceived a shipment of them yesterday. I'm pretty skeptical about their new line of bars though, so I'll wait and see what others think of them. The size inconsistencies were making me crazy too, so I contacted the company. The person that I was in contact with said that the size differences had nothing to do with the nutritional values, and something along the lines of, that it was just different amounts of water evaporating in the process. I didn't really question it or weigh them after that because it sounded believable.
  • Sallyw2004
    Sallyw2004 Posts: 124 Member
    Sallyw2004 wrote: »

I'd be tempted to try the Mango, and get the free cooler, if I hadn't just rceived a shipment of them yesterday. I'm pretty skeptical about their new line of bars though, so I'll wait and see what others think of them. The size inconsistencies were making me crazy too, so I contacted the company. The person that I was in contact with said that the size differences had nothing to do with the nutritional values, and something along the lines of, that it was just different amounts of water evaporating in the process. I didn't really question it or weigh them after that because it sounded believable.

That is why I don't like Built Bar company either. I like companies with good customer service. After your mint bar hassle I would of expected them to at least send you 2 boxes FREE of charge. All of my favorite companies are my favorite because if anything is ever wrong I just send them a message and they send me free coupons or go above and beyond to make it right. Those are the companies I love and want to give business to.

Interesting that both of you have noticed this. But their response doesn't make sense to me. Why would evaporation explain why it weighs more?

You got me curious, so I dug up the old email. The person mentioned the amount of water and the temperature having to be very precise and if either of those were even slightly off, it’d possibly impact the size, shape, and/or weight of the final product. Sounded reasonable to me.
  • Maxematics

That is why I don't like Built Bar company either. I like companies with good customer service. After your mint bar hassle I would of expected them to at least send you 2 boxes FREE of charge. All of my favorite companies are my favorite because if anything is ever wrong I just send them a message and they send me free coupons or go above and beyond to make it right. Those are the companies I love and want to give business to.

Interesting that both of you have noticed this. But their response doesn't make sense to me. Why would evaporation explain why it weighs more?

You got me curious, so I dug up the old email. The person mentioned the amount of water and the temperature having to be very precise and if either of those were even slightly off, it’d possibly impact the size, shape, and/or weight of the final product. Sounded reasonable to me.

Interesting but how does that account for the ones I've had where the outside chocolate layer is clearly thicker than other bars? A thicker chocolate layer surely means more calories. Others have really been expanded inside where all that gelatinous flavored protein sludge is, so I guess I can understand why that would be affected by water. I guess it doesn't matter in the end for my case because the calorie difference is negligible.

If they are lying in any capacity, it's not well thought out. They could have easily mentioned gram weight differences and how labels can be off by 20% etc but maybe they figured it would be hard to explain? I don't know. MFP surprises me sometimes because there have been discussions where a poster comes out of nowhere and it turns out they're a data analyst or something and they provide really insightful content. We need a scientist in here. Anyone?
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    Am I the only one who hasn't tried Built Bars?
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Am I the only one who hasn't tried Built Bars?

No. I haven't either.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    edited August 2019
    106ac2cb0ad33ba1e57297ddb574183f118.png

Bought this at Grocery Outlet & have to say it's well worth the $2.99. At first I thought it would be crispy like a potato chip underneath, but it was almost melt in your mouth & it had the right amount of salt to balance out the chocolate.

http://www.royalchocolates.be/en/products