Exercise makes me depressed. Anyone else this way?

Options
I just cannot get myself to exercise. I joined the gym with the aim of going 5 days a week. However, the first week I managed to go 3 days, the second week, again I went for 3 days. The third week I went 2 days and so far this week I haven't been once. I just hate going. It's so time-consuming, it can easily eat 2.5-3 hours out of my day. Plus, the gym is a good 15-minute walk away from my house and I hate walking there and back. The whole thing is just stressful.

I know people will say to do something else instead, but that just never happens either. I have an exercise machine at home and weights, they rarely get used. I have exercise videos I can do, again, never get used. How can I learn to love exercise?

I've had to lower my calories to 1250 so that I can hopefully, still lose weight, but weight loss without exercise is terribly slow. I lose maybe 2 lbs a month if I'm lucky.

Replies

• Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Maybe do something fun instead? Join a sport or learn a martial art or sign up for a dance class or something.

I loathe exercise for exercise sake, so I play a rhythm video game that makes me dance, duck and jump. Crazy cardio.
  • Mcwi3681
    Mcwi3681 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I hated to exercise too. I forced myself to do it because everyone else seems to love it, why don't I?? Now that I'm seeing results with the strength training program Ive been using, I'm enjoying working out a lot more. I still don't LOVE it like some people, and if I had to leave my house or be around other people I would never do it. You just need to find an activity you like to do.
  • Mcwi3681
    Mcwi3681 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Also I workout first thing in the morning. If I put it off until later in the day I would never do it.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    sam33a wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    Personally not being able to exercise depresses me.
    As would eating such a miniscule amount of food - you have my sympathies!

Is there no outdoor exercise you enjoy? Maybe it's the gym environment you dislike?

PS - it's not clear why you hate walking for 15 minutes or why it would take up to 3hrs out of your day. What else would you be doing with this time?

I dislike all forms of exercise. I wish I didn't. Maybe I'm just lazy. As for why I hate walking there. That's 30 minutes there and back in a busy area. I hate crowds of people. I work during the day and I'm also writing my dissertation in the evenings and weekends. I would much rather be studying than working out. I honestly just don't understand how people can enjoy it.

If you truly can't find anything in the massively wide scope of exercise/sport/physical activity you can enjoy then maybe just think of it as an investment of time for a reward of improved health and fitness.
    A bit like investing in your further education / degree is an investment in your future career?

Not seeing how a gym workout and 30 mins of walking adds up to 3hrs though.

If you don't like being amongst people then maybe getting out and about in the countryside would appeal more?
  • sam33a
    sam33a Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Mcwi3681 wrote: »
    I hated to exercise too. I forced myself to do it because everyone else seems to love it, why don't I?? Now that I'm seeing results with the strength training program Ive been using, I'm enjoying working out a lot more. I still don't LOVE it like some people, and if I had to leave my house or be around other people I would never do it. You just need to find an activity you like to do.

That's what I was hoping. That even if I don't love it, I'll still do it because of the results. However, I don't stick with it long enough to see any. Maybe I should try a class. I've never been to one before because I'm not as fit as I would like to be and would hate to be the only one not able to keep up.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    everyone is different and I really dont think exercise helps that much with my weight loss and I love exercise, biking hiking, zumba with the gals. I went to the gym for a year and never lose a pound. I got my eating right and lost 30 lbs. I have a friend at church who went to all kinds of active things with her grandchldren, active stuff and had to force herself. She had rather be studying something. I wished I liked to study but accept myself, I am more the active type.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Not sure why it's taking up to 3 hours. 15 minutes there plus 15 minutes back is 30 minutes and your cardio is done. Spend 60 minutes on strength training and you are done in 90 minutes.

Do you have an MP3 player? That can make the walk and workout more interesting. I like listening to NPR when I am walking or gardening, and I have an awesome playlist for lifting weights.

Reading between the lines I think it's possible that exercise itself is not the problem, but rather depression and anxiety. Has this been an issue for which you have sought help in the past?

I have struggled with depression and anxiety and what helps me these days more than talk therapy or meds is...exercise!* I often have to force myself to start, but am always glad I did. Are you fine once you start heading towards the gym?

* I am aware that not everyone with depression benefits from exercise, but statistically speaking studies have shown it is indeed beneficial for mild-moderate depression.

I've been a little stressed over the last year but I think exercise makes me depressed. I know, apparently, it's meant to have the opposite effect but not in my case. I can't think of doing it long-term. I'm okay once I'm there and working out. Usually, I spend a good while exercising to make the most of my visit but then I think of all that time it's taken and regret it. I can't say I actually enjoy any of it because I don't.

Try shortening the time so you don't resent it as much :)

Are there any audio books related to your dissertation you could listen to while you are walking/working out? Or something to make the time feel more productive? Or podcasts you like to simply make it more enjoyable?

I too don't like crowds so when I had a gym membership timed my visits to be off peak times. Yes, it was harder forcing myself out of the house later at night, but I was glad for the almost empty gym. As my schedule has changed, I've also gone first thing in the AM and at lunch, but never peak times. I moved and don't like any of the gyms near my new place so now work out at home, which does take more discipline.
  • sam33a
    Options
    brenn24179 wrote: »
    everyone is different and I really dont think exercise helps that much with my weight loss and I love exercise, biking hiking, zumba with the gals. I went to the gym for a year and never lose a pound. I got my eating right and lost 30 lbs. I have a friend at church who went to all kinds of active things with her grandchldren, active stuff and had to force herself. She had rather be studying something. I wished I liked to study but accept myself, I am more the active type.

I lost almost 60 lbs a few years ago just by sorting my diet out. Ate 1200 calories for 1.5 years, got down to 107 lbs and kept it off for a couple of years. I then gained 35 back. Very quickly. Within a matter of a few months. I just got tired of eating such a low amount and the weight shot back up. I'd love to exercise so I don't have to limit the calories as drastically this time around.
  • 1fitwong
    1fitwong Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Maybe you like
    moving but not exercise which is kinda boring unless you don’t feel like your exercising. You could try something like putting music on at home and see if it helps. Dancing seems to come pretty easily if the music is great. And a great song can get you motivated while exercising.
  • sam33a
    Options
    Personally not being able to exercise depresses me.
    As would eating such a miniscule amount of food - you have my sympathies!

Is there no outdoor exercise you enjoy? Maybe it's the gym environment you dislike?

PS - it's not clear why you hate walking for 15 minutes or why it would take up to 3hrs out of your day. What else would you be doing with this time?

I dislike all forms of exercise. I wish I didn't. Maybe I'm just lazy. As for why I hate walking there. That's 30 minutes there and back in a busy area. I hate crowds of people. I work during the day and I'm also writing my dissertation in the evenings and weekends. I would much rather be studying than working out. I honestly just don't understand how people can enjoy it.

If you truly can't find anything in the massively wide scope of exercise/sport/physical activity you can enjoy then maybe just think of it as an investment of time for a reward of improved health and fitness.
    A bit like investing in your further education / degree is an investment in your future career?

Not seeing how a gym workout and 30 mins of walking adds up to 3hrs though.

If you don't like being amongst people then maybe getting out and about in the countryside would appeal more?

I include all the time it takes from getting up to go to the gym to coming back home. Take Sunday for example. I headed to the gym at 4pm and returned home at 7pm. I do cardio for around an hour and then another 45-60 minutes on weights. I don't drive and so heading out to the countryside whenever I fancy isn't exactly feasible. I live in a city in England. The countryside is miles away, unfortunately.
  • hixa30
    hixa30 Posts: 274 Member
    Options

I tend to agree, although I keep my thoughts to myself because many people here simply don't understand. If you hate it so much, I think that you have bitten off too much, simply stop going. Given that the vast majority of weight loss is caused by controlling what we eat, just control your intake instead.

I do understand how people can enjoy exercise, but I'm not one of those people.