Keto

dawalkup
dawalkup Posts: 4 Member
I have just started keto and I'm finding at the end of the day I have lots of calories left. I'm eating lots of protein and non-starchy vegetables. I feel satisfied not hungry. What should I add to use up calories?

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Are you getting good fats in your diet? Those are the calories that add up quickly.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    I don't do keto (or even low carb) but are you cooking in oil or butter? Putting full fat dressing on your veggies? I've seen people doing low carb talk about fat bombs, though I don't know what they are. Would cheese or nuts fit in your carb goal?
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Are you logging every single little thing and weighing all solid food on a food scale? It is very common to miss things like cream in the coffee and oil used for cooking. It is also common for people to mistakenly used measuring cups to portion food:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1

It is also important that you verify all the entries you use in the MFP database as many are wrong. Use the USDA site and nutrition labels to make sure what you are using is accurate. Even scanning bar codes can produce incorrect calorie information.
  • dawalkup
    I have just started eating Keto so these were a lot of helpful suggestions. I was not adding the olive oil that I was cooking with. I was also using a measuring cup to measure out food. Thank you for all of your suggestions.
  • dawalkup
    What are the good fats? I use olive oil and butter.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Please do weigh your food! All of it. Keto is very high fat, and small food items contain masses of calories. You might be eating a lot more than you think, which would result in less or no weight loss, maybe even weight gain.
  • fdhunt1
    fdhunt1 Posts: 222 Member
    If you're in it to lose weight, nothing. Absolutely nothing.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited August 2019
    The keto group and the Low Carber Daily Forum group are great groups on MFP.

This is a very common problem on Keto. I have to add olive oil, or butter, cheeses, creams, etc to everything I cook.

Avocados and nuts are high calorie. Nuts are great because they are not filling.

And as above mentioned, I do add fat bombs for extra calories.

My favorite:
    2/3 cup coconut oil, 2/3 cup unsweetened peanut butter, 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder, 2-4 tbsp of favorite keto sweetener (stevia, swerve, or monk fruit. I use dry stevia), 4 tbsp cream, coconut milk, or half and half, heated on low until smooth, add 1/4 cup of unsweetened coconut flakes, pour evenly into ice trays (silicone or non stick spray) makes around 20. Freeze or refrigerate. Can play with, add cream cheese to taste like raw cookie dough, or add flavor extracts.

Good luck!