Controlling cramps/muscle spasms

alteredsteve175
alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
I have intermittent issues with cramps - sometimes during a workout - sometimes in bed. I have found that a daily potassium supplement helps greatly, but the tablets are huge and hard to swallow. Any other suggestions that have helped you? Foods high in potassium? Other mineral supplements or a supplement blend that helps? Stretching or workouts that help?

Thanks for any advise.

Replies

• Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Hydrate, water, Gatorade, little packs salt, bananas, and or pickle juice
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    I second the pickle juice.
  • d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
    I drink a 1 liter Gatorade during the mornings then switch to water the rest of the day. During the heat of the summer, I drink 4 to 6 liters daily (plus whatever I drink at meals).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    A good bit of potassium in blackstrap molasses (I like it in my oatmeal), which people don't necessarily think of, in addition to some kinds of beans, fruits, sweet potatoes, squash . . . .

Most of those run somewhere around 10% of RDA +/-.
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,898 Member
    I've never had molasses on oatmeal. That sounds interesting! Maybe breakfast tomorrow...
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    UncleMac wrote: »
    I've never had molasses on oatmeal. That sounds interesting! Maybe breakfast tomorrow...

I like my oatmeal just a tiny bit sweeter than the berries alone make it. I used to use a tablespoon of all-fruit spread, but when I read about how much potassium, calcium and iron are in blackstrap molasses - which I find tasty - I started using about a tablespoon of that instead. Seems like a multi-win, for me. It is one of those evil "added sugars", though. ;)
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Magnesium oil is what works for me with cramp.