Cooking potatoes in the microwave.

jessie747williams
jessie747williams Posts: 22 Member
edited August 2019 in Food and Nutrition
Is it okay to cook potators in the microwave. Will they lose any nutrients from being cooked at such a high temperature.
Thanks

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,595 Member
    Prick with a fork to allow steam to escape when cooking in the skin. About 8-9 minutes depending on size of potato. Start giving a squeeze every minute after 7 minutes to test for doneness.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    Prick with a fork to allow steam to escape when cooking in the skin. About 8-9 minutes depending on size of potato. Start giving a squeeze every minute after 7 minutes to test for doneness.

It also depends on the microwave wattage. Most average sized potatoes are done in less than 6 minutes in my microwave (1000w).

• FireyChimera
    FireyChimera Posts: 155 Member
    I cook golden potatoes and sweet potatoes in the microwave nearly every single day. Never have I had an issue with it or felt nutrient deprived. As someone said above me, boiling things in water reduces the amount of water soluble vitamins, so steaming and microwave can actually help preserve those nutrients. I cook 75% of my food in the microwave and nothing has happened and I am not lacking in nutrients :) Better to eat microwaved potato than fast food
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    I actually prefer the flavor of potatoes cooked in the microwave, unless I feel like roasting a variety of root veggies, then they go in the oven.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Is it okay to cook potators in the microwave. Will they lose any nutrients from being cooked at such a high temperature.
    Thanks

Just dont wrap em in foil first.

Jokes aside, cut a slice in them first so they dont explode. Other than that, you're basically just baking it.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    Thanks

I think your premise is off. What makes you think a microwave produces a higher temperature than cooking in a standard convection oven, which typically is heated to 350 to 400 F, or even a little higher, to bake potatoes? A microwave should produce temperatures equivalent to boiling potatoes, or roughly 212 F.

That aside, where would the nutrients go? Unless you put the potatoes in a bowl of water inside the microwave, there's no way for the nutrients to get out of the potato?
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,976 Member
    I don't eat them anymore but the best & quickest way to "cook" a whole potato IMO is in a microwave.

Just wash ILir, poke a few holes in it and cook it on high for 3-4 minutes (depending on size). Eat it skin and all. Can't possibly lose an nutrients cooking in this way.