What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited August 2019
    My workout looks a lot like Ann's above. Controlled day (not as much fun but gentler on me!). 30 minutes of Indoor rowing, then 30 minutes on the AD Pro. I'm working hard on the rower to find a DF (drag factor) high enough to build some muscle endurance but not too high to make my HR climb beyond 75 (definitely not above 78%) of HR Max. It's a work in progress. Didn't feel like the row was THAT hard today but within 30 minutes, my HR climbed to around 77% Max and I aborted to the Bike. The bike, on the other hand, I have a harder time keeping in that range at a much higher Watt level. The number on top of the bike (147) is the Avg Watts for the riding portion. Forgot to put the HRM when I set up ErgData, so I guess that's why the HR didn't show up on the Rowing Monitor, but did on the HR app I use (FITIV).

gemjg7m9zs2e.jpg
    ocdtcvwpajzu.jpg
    08jusqhw98o7.png
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    8/8/2019

By golly, another, not planned, rest day.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    My "workout" looks like neither Ann's nor Mike's. It does look uncannily similar to @pierinifitness 's though ;)

Coxed a very advanced 4 today. Most of the people in the boat were in the men's 8+ that won at Windermere Cup this year (in the 50+ category). I managed to not hit anything, noticed that the cox box I wanted to take hadn't been plugged in and thus hadn't been charged before we got all the way to the dock (actually I noticed before we got out of the parking lot that we traverse to get to the dock) remembered that I don't know how correctly set the cox box to let me use the stopwatch while also seeing the rate so opted to use my watch's stopwatch for their ladder (It's not just me, the person coxing the 8 that went out also didn't know how but didn't realize that he didn't know how before hand.), generally speaking called things correctly, and did a very good job docking, with some help from my stern pair. This was also the first time I'd navigated that part of the river as a cox.

I also made a really fun racing turn at the suggestion of one of the people in my boat which I'd never done before. Racing turns are where you make a 180 degree turn without stopping. What made it more "fun" was that the cox in the 8 decided to follow suite and was making a much wider turn than I was...but was on the inside of the curve. Had I not seen them we would have had a collision. Needless to say, it was a mental workout and my watch is pretty sure I walked at least 3k while I was coxing ;) I also still take a lot of glee in the fact that so far I fit really well in every boat I've coxed, which is funny because I'd take rowing over coxing almost any day.

I would do a workout on Zwift this evening but my body is likely fighting off a cold so I'll see how I feel tomorrow. Until then, lots of fluids. And on that note, I'm going to go read the cox box instruction manual!
  • aokoye
    aokoye wrote: »
    My "workout" looks like neither Ann's nor Mike's. It does look uncannily similar to @pierinifitness 's though ;)

Coxed a very advanced 4 today. Most of the people in the boat were in the men's 8+ that won at Windermere Cup this year (in the 50+ category). I managed to not hit anything, noticed that the cox box I wanted to take hadn't been plugged in and thus hadn't been charged before we got all the way to the dock (actually I noticed before we got out of the parking lot that we traverse to get to the dock) remembered that I don't know how correctly set the cox box to let me use the stopwatch while also seeing the rate so opted to use my watch's stopwatch for their ladder (It's not just me, the person coxing the 8 that went out also didn't know how but didn't realize that he didn't know how before hand.), generally speaking called things correctly, and did a very good job docking, with some help from my stern pair. This was also the first time I'd navigated that part of the river as a cox.

I also made a really fun racing turn at the suggestion of one of the people in my boat which I'd never done before. Racing turns are where you make a 180 degree turn without stopping. What made it more "fun" was that the cox in the 8 decided to follow suite and was making a much wider turn than I was...but was on the inside of the curve. Had I not seen them we would have had a collision. Needless to say, it was a mental workout and my watch is pretty sure I walked at least 3k while I was coxing ;) I also still take a lot of glee in the fact that so far I fit really well in every boat I've coxed, which is funny because I'd take rowing over coxing almost any day.

I would do a workout on Zwift this evening but my body is likely fighting off a cold so I'll see how I feel tomorrow. Until then, lots of fluids. And on that note, I'm going to go read the cox box instruction manual!
    aokoye wrote: »

edit: oh and @AnnPT77 - I've gotten much better at using my outside voice ;)
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    Deadlifts 1x8, 2x6
    Kinesis pull down 3x10
    Dumbbell shoulder press 3x8
    Cable curls 1x15
    Kinesis ab machine 2x15

10+ km walked during the day.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    8/9
    am
    Mobility
    5 Tibetan Rites (3 rounds each rite working towards 21)
    Yoga
    Hatha Sun Salutation - 10 Rounds
    Meditate

Dead hangs and handstand wall holds for time...
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    Yesterday's workout:

BodyPump
    (and about five miles of walking).

I deloaded the squats and lunges as my physio advised, but I gotta say that my hips and thighs are still not happy. Doing my physio exercises and BodyPump on the same day is clearly not ideal. But if I don't, the muscles don't get a chance to heal up from either...
  • phoenixrising5721
    phoenixrising5721 Posts: 2,252 Member
    So far it has been fork to plate to mouth. About 3 sets 5 reps each
  • michellewale1977
    michellewale1977 Posts: 20 Member
    This has been my first week of working out in about a year so I know it’s not as much as most of you are doing but it’s a start!

5 reps of the following using 5kg (4.6 to be exact lol) dumbbells):

10x shoulder press
    10x bicep curls
    10x weighted lunges
    10x press ups from knees
    10x raised legs crunches

Then I followed with a 15 minute low impact cardio routine.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    edited August 2019
    Thursday

60min session with trainer. So she took me right out of my comfort zone to a gym trail in the woods. I have a huge fear of heights, and she once more tried to get me to conquer that fear (not get rid of it, just not let it beat me). Let's just say I had some choice words to say at the top of a wooden frame when she told me to walk across the top beam. And then a few more words when she wanted me to jump down from the top. (I did walk across, but after a few moments when I totally froze I kind of dropped myself down rather than jumping)

I was much more successful with the parallel bars, last time we did this it took me several attempts to lift myself up (have i mentioned I'm a short @rse with short legs). But this time i got myself up first time and even managed to walk along with my hands a few times along with knee raises.

There was also some trail running between the pieces of equipment, some hill sprints, press ups, tricep dips, balance beams. And then she found a log for me to do shoulder press, and squat with press, and throw and carry over my head for what felt like forever. I swear it felt like a tree rather than log by the end and everytime I dropped it I got push ups.

By the end of the hour i was muddy, covered in tree bark and in pieces.

In the afternoon I went for a 3.5 mile walk through a country park to have a one hour sports massage (painful but really needed)

Then as my sports therapist said no running or high impact until the next day i went to the gym. Originally i planned to bench and then do an hour of LISS, but a particularly annoying PT decided to use the whole of the free weight area for 1.5 hours, making it impossible to get to the rack even though he wasn't using it. This particular PT has form and has already been kicked out of one gym so now uses this much smaller gym (that I only use when I've had a sudden urge to hit the gym and cant be bothered to run down to my usual gym), but he still has the same attitude that he's the most important person in there.

Anyway I ended up doing 5km on the rower, low intensity/steady state. Moved on to the bike, 5miles, but got bored with steady state, so did 1 mile warm up, 3 miles of 30sec standing sprints/1min recover, 1 mile cool down. Finished off with 5km on the elliptical.
  • MikePfirrman
    This has been my first week of working out in about a year so I know it’s not as much as most of you are doing but it’s a start!

5 reps of the following using 5kg (4.6 to be exact lol) dumbbells):

10x shoulder press
    10x bicep curls
    10x weighted lunges
    10x press ups from knees
    10x raised legs crunches

Then I followed with a 15 minute low impact cardio routine.

It all starts with consistency. Understand we all started somewhere. With me, it was literally walking a few steps or a few turns on a Stationary bike. I began my fat loss over 12 years ago after I completely blew out my right knee and couldn't walk for a year. Rehabbing the knee and learning to walk all over is what began my journey. You can't start any slower than I did!
  • rldeclercq4
    rldeclercq4 Posts: 269 Member
    Up at the break of dawn for a 5 mile run before work
  • aokoye
    Felt significantly better this morning so I opted to do the second Zwift Academy workout. I'm leaning towards the issue being allergies mixed with general fatigue from last weekend's regatta in Seattle.

I've gotten some hairbrained idea to do one of Garmin's 5k plans. I might try to start that on Sunday or next week, or maybe I'll come to my senses.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Friday.

No class this morning.

30min session with trainer, upper body trx, specifically chest and back. Think that the new challenge is pull ups. I do want to be able to do at least one unassisted, but trx pull ups are really hard, did 3 sets of 10 among the other exercises.

While my boys were roller skating downstairs at the local sports centre I went upstairs to the gym to bench.
    Did 5/3/1 cycle 3 week 3 bench followed by 5x10@28kg. Added some hammer curls (10 sets of 10 ranging from 10kg to 17.5kg (7sets at highest weight)). Finished with some swiss ball planks.

Then did an interval treadmill run as part of a plan to improve my 5k time.

Wasnt going to do anything else but it started raining, and I love running in the rain so I did another couple miles easy pace.
  • MikePfirrman
    Sometimes you have to have a recovery day. Did 30 minutes on the rower @ SRM of 18, low DF and kept the HR in check -- nearly the entire row under 140 (70% of Max HR) then did 30 minutes on the AD Pro at around 60% to 65% Max HR (120s to low 130s). Really easy day overall. Felt I needed it.
  • Alka1980
    Alka1980 Posts: 5 Member
    5km run, 1 hour Pilates proworks. It makes a huge difference to my day when I get time to do this
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    8/9/2019 - early afternoon -

#1 - at office- bar dips x 5 EMOM for 20 rounds = 100 bar dips in 19:14 - average HR = 115 bpm (64 percent) maximum HR = 144 bpm (80 percent) total 158 calories.

#2 - at park - slow run 1 mile warm up in 11:29 - average HR = 130 bpm (72 percent) maximum HR = 138 bpm (77 percent) total 131 calories.

#3 - at park - Sprint 8 - run fast 0:30 jog recovery 1:30 for 8 rounds = 1.71 miles in 16:00 - mile pace equivalent times for fast run rounds ranged from 6:16 to 6:43 - average HR = 154 bpm (86 percent) maximum HR = 162 bpm (90 percent) total 209 calories.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    Just another 8k row in the double on a beautiful mostly-sunny morning in the 70s (F) with light breeze and non-oppressive humidity, out amongst the ducks, geese, songbirds and great blue herons.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,193 MFP Moderator
    Yesterday was quick lifting session followed by 20 minutes on the elliptical. Today I'm going to be sitting on my rear on an airplane... so the workout will be walking airport terminals while dodging others who are too engrossed in their phones to pay attention to where they're going.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Did nothing for 5 days except walk the dog until today. Walking, cycling, lower body strength. My elbow and forearm are repairing slowly so no upper body yet.