Starting ballet or any new practice as an adult

Options
Hi all,

I found an adult beginners ballet class in my area, so I signed up for my first class! I'm going on 30, so it's a late start. Curious if any if you have started something new like this as an adult and what your experience has been.

I love art, and this seems like a great way to incorporate it into my routine. 😊

Replies

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I started rowing (on the water) a year ago this week when I was 31 and it's gone very well so far. I was already athletic and I have pretty good kinesthetic awareness, so that was helpful, but it's been great. I've competed in three regattas and have gotten very good at pushing myself to do new things (some of which scare me but I want to do it so...) and my consistency is clearly paying off.

Ballet sounds like a great idea honestly. There's a really great shortish news story about an adult ballet class in SF here.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I started Nordic skiing in my late 30s. Love it! I was missing out for so long.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    I applaud all of you for picking up new skills as adults.

I feel like I'm at a point in my life where if I add any more information into my brain, something's going to have to be discarded to make room.

My husband wants me to learn to ski, but I'm afraid if I add that, I'll suddenly forget how to walk. :D

I'm going to stay in my happy little rut, thank you.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    You're never too old. I took up curling 4 years ago at age 42. I figure skating and have been my entire life. However, I have worked with friends who took up skating in their 60s. Some have even taken up curling now too.

Never say never. You can teach anyone new tricks