Spices, spicey seasonings: what's your favorite?

I read how spices kick up metabolism. My recent favorite is adding hot chili flakes to lots of quick homemade meals/snacks like salads, sliced cukes, chicken, sandwiches. What're your favorite spices, spicey seasonings, or spicey condiments? Does anyone make their own?

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,594 Member
    Chinese brand Laoganma chilli oil. Green tabasco. For cooking Thai red curry paste. I like Indonesian sambal trassi, which is chilli paste with the added funk of fermented shrimp.

I've made my own chilli oil in the past which is pretty similar to the Laoganma chilli oil, following a method like this but with a higher chilli flake to oil ratio.
    https://healthynibblesandbits.com/how-to-make-chili-oil/
  • Veilleux311
    Veilleux311 Posts: 27 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    Chinese brand Laoganma chilli oil. Green tabasco. For cooking Thai red curry paste. I like Indonesian sambal trassi, which is chilli paste with the added funk of fermented shrimp.

I've made my own chilli oil in the past which is pretty similar to the Laoganma chilli oil, following a method like this but with a higher chilli flake to oil ratio.
    https://healthynibblesandbits.com/how-to-make-chili-oil/

Sounds delicious! Thank you for sharing the link. Will give this a try
  • Antiopelle
    Antiopelle Posts: 1,184 Member
    Moroccan Harissa paste :smiley:
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    I’m not sure there’s any truth in the ‘spices kick up your metabolism’ theory, but I don’t care, I’ll eat spicy food because I love it anyway!

I’ll second the green Tabasco, plus the other Tabasco variants though I get through the green jalapeño one faster. Also chilli flakes in practically anything savoury. Not a huge fan of Sriracha, something off in the taste for me.

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Sriracha.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    What I like depends on what I'm cooking. But as has been mentioned, spices do nothing to your metabolism. That's a myth.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Tiger Sauce, could drink it by the bottle
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    I'm a pepperbelly all the way, so my fridge and pantry are filled with moderate heat (I don't go in for heat for heat's sake like ghost peppers or habaneros)

Some favorites include:
    * Javin Brand Curry Powder (GREAT in oatmeal!),
    * I usually make lunch or dinner salads with at least one of the following: siracha, spicy home-made kimchi, thai chili flakes, and/or ginger and garlic paste
    * soups, stir-fries and marinades get chili and garlic paste with cumin
  • Veilleux311
    Antiopelle wrote: »
    Moroccan Harissa paste :smiley:

I have never heard of this and will definitely look it up and try it. Thank you for your feedback!
  • Veilleux311
    I’m not sure there’s any truth in the ‘spices kick up your metabolism’ theory, but I don’t care, I’ll eat spicy food because I love it anyway!

I’ll second the green Tabasco, plus the other Tabasco variants though I get through the green jalapeño one faster. Also chilli flakes in practically anything savoury. Not a huge fan of Sriracha, something off in the taste for me.

I love Tabasco as well but never tried the "green" ones you mentioned. I appreciate your feedback.
  • Veilleux311
    Spices are a great way to kick up flavor without adding a lot of calories, but they are not going to do anything for your metabolism. Add them because you like them, not because you think they'll do something magical for your weight loss. And, I second the harissa.

I'm certainly not looking for "something magical for weight loss" LOL. MFP has calculated my 16-day caloric deficit at 18,700 thanks to exercise and portion control. I believe the only "something magical" is hard work. I simply created this thread to learn from others how I can expand my variety of healthy choices. Thank you for your feedback :)
  • Veilleux311
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Tahini, zataar and sumac.

I researched zataar after reading your advice and it sounds very good! It looks like there's lots of variations for zataar. Thank you!
  • Veilleux311
    Sriracha.

Yum!
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    I put hot sauce on pretty much everything. Not Tabasco (so substandard when you've had a good hot sauce), but I put a good local hot sauce made from the aji chombo pepper (similar to habenero) that has more of a sweetness to the spice. No calories, and minimal sauce. It doesn't do anything for my metabolism, but it does help me with my weight loss because I can eat food that is bland and more calorie friendly, because the hot sauce makes it enjoyable.
  • Veilleux311
    Tiger Sauce, could drink it by the bottle

Tiger Sauce, now that's a new one for me! And the price doesn't seem bad either. Thanks, man.
  • Veilleux311
    I'm a pepperbelly all the way, so my fridge and pantry are filled with moderate heat (I don't go in for heat for heat's sake like ghost peppers or habaneros)

Some favorites include:
    * Javin Brand Curry Powder (GREAT in oatmeal!),
    * I usually make lunch or dinner salads with at least one of the following: siracha, spicy home-made kimchi, thai chili flakes, and/or ginger and garlic paste
    * soups, stir-fries and marinades get chili and garlic paste with cumin

Thank you for sharing all of your awesome ideas! I love oatmeal but never tried adding some heat to it. Definitely going to experiment with some new options. Thanks again
  • lancejohnston523
    lancejohnston523 Posts: 60 Member
    Tabasco - Smoked Chipotle flavor is awesome. Great flavor
  • HereToLose50
    HereToLose50 Posts: 154 Member
    edited August 2019
    Cayenne pepper for most things. I also like freshly chopped hot peppers mixed in things that normally ask for bell peppers and also some in chicken or tuna salad, etc. I even put them in salads sometimes depending on other ingredients I'm using at the time.

I eat a lot of spicy spices already mentioned by others also. Almost everything I eat is spicy.

I agree with whoever said not Tabasco sauce. The flavor is off to me. No other kinds of watery hot sauces either.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, curry powder, basil, parsley, tarragon, ras el hanout, smoked paprika, za atar, celery seed, sage.

I use more, depending on the dish, but those are my go to's.