Feeling the muscle working

Movemoreguy22
Movemoreguy22 Posts: 387 Member
If I'm working on exceries for arms/chest/legs/shoulders/abs I can feel them muscles working and contracting and getting the "burn" and feel like I've done a good workout but with back im struggling people, never get the feeling I do like from other muscles mentioned.
I try and stay away from BB bentover rows due to back problems but If i do one arm bentover row on a bench (for example) I never feel it in my back and i can't go too heavy cos then I start using my arm to get the weight up. So is it all about finding the right angles for myself.

I was wondering, i work in the concrete industry that uses alot of pulling motion and legs, would it be cos my back is worked out everyday so it's used to hard work or is it in my head and im making excuses

Cheers people.

Replies

• ragingrequiem8519
    ragingrequiem8519 Posts: 1 Member
    My first post ever! I'm no expert at all but I've heard the back muscles are significantly stronger than our "pushing" muscles; so maybe you just need to increase the intensity? (Safely of course, the back also seems to be easily injured).

Another thing that could be your issue is you don't have a strong mind muscle connection with your back muscles so you aren't flexing them quite as well as you could; so you're using other muscles to compensate. Just my thoughts on the matter.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Try seated horizontal rows and pull-ups.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    I don't feel dumbell bent over rows in my back, I feel it in my arms. I like cable seated rows, it's all back for me. I think it is just individual how your body moves for certain things like that.

I don't per se feel pull-ups in my back, it feels like a whole-body movement, but I feel the effect in my back afterward.
  • Movemoreguy22
    I don't feel dumbell bent over rows in my back, I feel it in my arms. I like cable seated rows, it's all back for me. I think it is just individual how your body moves for certain things like that.

I don't per se feel pull-ups in my back, it feels like a whole-body movement, but I feel the effect in my back afterward.

Gonna try cable machines see if that makes a difference, never really struggled with pull ups, wouldn't say their easy but i can do a few so I normally do the neg really slow
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    Its really really hard to feel the muscles in your back! If I am doing those seated rows, my PT always made me do it in two movements - sort of put the arms to the backs of the arm sockets, lock them in there, then pull.
  • Movemoreguy22
    Its really really hard to feel the muscles in your back! If I am doing those seated rows, my PT always made me do it in two movements - sort of put the arms to the backs of the arm sockets, lock them in there, then pull.

I always make sure I move my scapluas 1st , lock them in and then the arms
  • Movemoreguy22
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    FWIW, it is unnecessary to "feel the burn" when lifting, in order to make progress.

If you are lifting heavier wt over time that is clear evidence that you are getting stronger, whether you felt the "burn" getting there or not.

I did back Wednesday felt good, didn't go heavy went for the feel of the movement
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    I think it is helpful to be able to feel that the correct muscle is working, whether or not you want to go for a burn. I can feel my back muscles, but that is because I have been working on pull ups in forever so I have been really concentrating on my back. The movement where I first really became aware of my back was lowering to the bottom of a pull up and then pulling up and stopping for a couple of seconds hold in small increments. Typically about 5 small lifts from bottom to top. You can really feel when your back is doing all the work and when the arms start to come in. That might be worth a try, just to see what it feels like.
  • RovP6
    RovP6 Posts: 108 Member
    It pays to do a bit of reading on the muscles of the back (all the muscles in your body in fact) to learn what their actual function is, where they insert and originate etc. You can then start to flex each muscle group or individual muscles until you get a feel for the muscles themselves. Once you've got that you can try to get that same feeling when you're lifting to ensure you're activating the muscles you're actually trying to work.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,453 Member
    Drop your shoulders back and down and focus on your elbow tracking towards the middle where you spine is. Whether using a single arm or both, thinking about bringing your elbows together behind your back is one good technique to feel the back contract.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    I never feel the "burn" or a very solid mind/muscle connection unless I'm working at less than 70% 1RM and never on compounds unless there is a significant imbalance. I used to feel my tri's pretty good before they caught up to everything else on bench. When I push past 70% I just feel the weight on the bar. It's always been like this and I've grown just fine as long as I fed that growth.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Depends on your grip, elbow position, & path in ROM. Would suggest trying seated cable rows....narrow grip with elbows tucked in, bringing the handle back (towards yourself) & slightly down (towards waist) to engage your lats (pull through your elbows). Alternatively elbows out more with wider grip & higher position (closer in relation to shoulders) to engage rhomboids more. Start with light weight initially, focus pulling through your elbows