Replies

• jjlewey
    jjlewey Posts: 248 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    jjlewey wrote: »
    At a new low today. 12.8 pounds to make surgery weight. Still seems like a huge number right now which is no doubt because I am struggling but it is only temporary. I have a large obstacle in my ability to become more active that this surgery will hopefully correct. I wouldn't be doing this to myself on a whim, trust me.

Good luck!! You can do it!!

Thanks.

I should clarify that the reason this is a hurry-up weight loss situation is because of scheduling. If I don't get it done as planned I will have to wait until January at the earliest for everything to line back up. That would be extremely disappointing and leave me a lot more restricted than I want to be anymore.

I assumed that when you mentioned surgery. Especially surgery that will let you get more mobile / lead a healthier life. Keep up the motivation! The hard work and harder restriction right now will pay off in the end. Also, good luck with the surgery once you can get it!

Thanks again.

It will pay off and while the recovery will be unpleasant and long it will be worth it in the end.

I have learned that cutting 200 calories from your day can really tank your mood and your patience. It seems like a small number but it has made a big impact.

You got the right attitude, you will get it.

Thanks buddy. I can get it done. I just have to keep going the hard road for a bit. It is weird to be giving out advice that I am currently, myself, not following but life is funny that way.

I switched to 3rd shift this week. The company needed some help on 3rd, I told them I would do it for a month. Until my vacation, already regretting it on day 2 lol. I did get 16k steps yesterday. Staying on the sub 2500 calories plan for now too. Forward Momentum.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I only worked 3rd briefly and it really messed with my digestion at first. I would often feel bad around 3:30a. I started taking some easy to digest food and that helped.

Just remember that starting very soon you will have decent numbers to work with and you really do not want to be losing more than 1 percent of your total body weight per week. I know you have that cruise on your brain and you want to feel good but part of that will be eating enough calories. Some people go through a honeymoon phase (I did too) at the beginning but if you ride that too long you may hit a brick wall. It also take a very long time to build muscle and you don't want to be losing anymore than you have to because your deficit is too steep.

• Americanbabydoll
    Americanbabydoll Posts: 1,255 Member
    Sometimes you just have to take a step back and look at the numbers. Here are some numbers that are interesting to me.

1. Today is day 53 of walking 5 miles & over 11,000 steps a day.
    2. I have been logging on MFP for 92 days now and have lost 12.4 pounds so far (still have about 117.6 to go).
    3. I got a Fitbit on April 20, 2019 and have walked 452 miles since then.
  • NovusDies
    Sometimes you just have to take a step back and look at the numbers. Here are some numbers that are interesting to me.

1. Today is day 53 of walking 5 miles & over 11,000 steps a day.
    2. I have been logging on MFP for 92 days now and have lost 12.4 pounds so far (still have about 117.6 to go).
    3. I got a Fitbit on April 20, 2019 and have walked 452 miles since then.

So you have been losing an average of .94 pounds a week and walking an average of 29.3 miles per week. Your average deficit is 470 calories per day.

I like numbers. :grin:
  • NovusDies
    @jim_pipkin

I am tagging you back to this thread because of another comment you made in F&N about your metabolism:
    jim_pipkin wrote: »

I took this all up with my doctor last week, and his opinion is that I have reached a metabolic slowing caused by extreme weight loss over the past nine months. His advice was to increase my calories to about 1800 cal/day, weigh myself after two weeks to avoid a water weight shock, and then look for continued loss in the 1-2 pounds per week range instead of the 3 pounds per week I did over the past nine months. His opinion on fasting is that some studies have shown that it can not only speed weight loss, but help prevent or diminish some cancers and other "high metabolic" diseases, and since I'm not hypoglycemic he sees no issues if I don't overdo it.

I recall running your numbers when I saw your thread in Success Stories and it is highly unlikely that you are suffering from metabolic adaptation. There is a slight BMR downshift when you are in a calorie deficit but it returns to normal the moment you exit. There is a lot of buzz out there about the contestants from "The Biggest Loser" but you were not in an extreme deficit like they were. Granted you were being very aggressive but not that aggressive. Since no tests were ran he was probably just responding to what you were saying.

If you were not eating 1800 calories before though you do need to start and you won't start gaining anything but water weight and that will stabilize pretty quickly then return to normal. You should probably be eating more than that because as your fat stores decline you can put yourself at risk of damaging your metabolism. You don't want that happening because a doctor that specializes in it may want you to take 6 to 12 months off from any progress to try and reverse it.

If you have not taken a day off from your weight loss you should. Eat your maintenance calories for a day or two and snap yourself out of forced progress each and every day. You really need to start being okay with the rest of your progress going a little slower. You may also need to prove that no harm will come from it. I lost 158 pounds in 12 months and I was not in a deficit for about 45 mostly nonconsecutive days of that year. Actually since I run a 6 day deficit system I was not in a calorie deficit for 97 days of that year but I don't count days that were "paid for" by banked calories.
  • SarahMorris12
    SarahMorris12 Posts: 12 Member
    amkita wrote: »
    I'm 37, just under 5'8" and 243.6 lbs as of this morning. I started at 263 (BMI: 40) around mid May, so I'm down 19.4 lbs so far. my current goal is 180, which is still classified as "overweight," but it's also the lowest I've ever been as an adult and probably even during high school. ultimately 160 ish would be a nice place to end up.I don't actually know what that would even be like, so I'll need to reassess.

it's weird feeling like I'm in weight loss limbo. I know I feel better, and my body is cleverly rearranging fat stores, but no change really in inches. ah well! I'm doing pics/measurements at the start of each month to help visualize changes.
    I'm 37, just under 5'8" and 243.6 lbs as of this morning. I started at 263 (BMI: 40) around mid May, so I'm down 19.4 lbs so far. my current goal is 180, which is still classified as "overweight," but it's also the lowest I've ever been as an adult and probably even during high school. ultimately 160 ish would be a nice place to end up.I don't actually know what that would even be like, so I'll need to reassess.

it's weird feeling like I'm in weight loss limbo. I know I feel better, and my body is cleverly rearranging fat stores, but no change really in inches. ah well! I'm doing pics/measurements at the start of each month to help visualize changes.

• TwinThompson
    TwinThompson Posts: 80 Member
    Another 3lb down this week! That’s 2st 3lb since I started 😊 my measurements aren’t worth checking this week because I’m bloated, but I bet they’re looking better next week!!
  • merph518
    merph518 Posts: 702 Member
    edited August 2019
    @TwinThompson Great job, keep it up! :)

This morning I'm wearing a pair of jeans that I haven't fit into for about 9 years. They're actually the size I wore at my maximum weight (335 lbs) before I lost 100lbs back then. Despite being about 20 lbs lighter than that now, they just fit as of today. When I gained the weight back I wound up carrying it more around the stomach.

Frustrating, but wearing them now is still a pretty good accomplishment. I'll take it.
  • amkita
    amkita Posts: 183 Member

@TwinThompson nice!

239 today! no more 240s, which was my in-my-head weigh range (240-250) for many years. and was inaccurate.

I'm glad this is working, even without a thyroid. curious to see where I'm at a few months from now.
  • LilSkittles22
    LilSkittles22 Posts: 22 Member
    I haven't been able to really post anything about weight loss for the last couple of weeks because I always seem to retain more water on weigh-in day than any other. I limited my salt yesterday, but it still didn't help. The only good thing is that there was finally some tiny movement on the scale this morning. It was only .2 lbs, but at least it's less than my last lowest weight. And it helps remind me that even though the scale doesn't show it, I have probably lost fat that is overshadowed by the extra water. And I know TOTM factors in too, so I'm hoping next week will finally show a good loss. I'm still excited about my little one today though because I've felt pretty miserable working so hard only to "gain" weight. But I'm doing my best to keep telling myself that even if I don't lose any weight, I am overall healthier than I was a month ago and that's something to celebrate.
  • NovusDies
    Today is Friday (aka watch off to weigh day) so I have my weekly numbers

Weight Change: 3.8 pounds
    Masking: 0

3wk RoL: 3.67 <- still inflated from my 6 pound whoosh week
    6 wk RoL: 2.53 <- This is about what I am shooting for

I have matched back up with my lowest weight track. I love when that happens. It takes all that mental voodoo that happens and tosses it out the door. If I can predict what my weight will eventually come back around to after all the weight fluctuations subside for a moment it has to mean everything is in order.

It is seldom an exact match of course. I consider anything within .4 pounds as a reasonable match. Scales round, calories are averages, and activity is not a static number.
  • NovusDies
    @TwinThompson, @merph518, @amkita , and @LilSkittles22 Excellent news!

@TwinThompson if you are bloated it may mean you will see another nice loss this week.
    @merph518 I have been trying to buy jeans but I have given up for the moment. I am envious.
    @amkita I am glad you are feeling confident about this. Success often depends on believing you will succeed.
    @LilSkittles22 hopefully your bigger whoosh is coming soon.
  • jeannalyn1227
    jeannalyn1227 Posts: 14 Member
    Name: Jeanna

Height: 5”51/2’

Heaviest: 389 in 2015

Goal: 150 ( they say I should be 130 but I'm thrilled with 150)

Current: 308 so close to getting under 300 who hoo

Leaving for road trip to CO to drop our youngest off at CSU for college. I plan on getting in a lot of walking and still journaling all food.
  • real_change
    real_change Posts: 53 Member
    @NovusDies I would be curious to learn more about your system some time. I don't really know what you mean by tracks but it's so impressive how well you know your body. Don't feel pressured to respond in any detail. You already spend so much time running the group. But I'm amazed by your data collection and knowledge.
  • NovusDies
    @NovusDies I would be curious to learn more about your system some time. I don't really know what you mean by tracks but it's so impressive how well you know your body. Don't feel pressured to respond in any detail. You already spend so much time running the group. But I'm amazed by your data collection and knowledge.

My tracks are spreadsheet columns that represent different points in my weight curve. There is the highest that I would probably visit after several days of eating restaurant food and travelling and the lowest that I would get to for eating my own cooking in my own system for several days. The difference between the two is 7.8 pounds. I normally stay in the lower half of the curve so my weight fluctuations are single restaurant meals, work stress, poor sleep, etc. Most of the time I have a clue why I am fluctuating but there is always those oddball fluctuations that just show up.

Each day I enter the calories I have eaten and all the tracks deduct my weight loss by deficit for the next day. When I weigh the next morning I can see what track I am in. It was my attempt to see the linear fat loss within the chaos of the fluctuations. I suppose I can to a point but when I reboot again I am considering some changes because what really helps me is to see approximately how much I am masking at any moment.

For me managing all of this like a project keeps me high level and objective about something that I would normally take too personally. I get quick answers to what is going on so I am not thinking about some weight fluctuation too long wondering if there is any chance it is fat related. I don't need that noise in my head. I want to deal with my results and then put it out of my head for the rest of the day. Many days I can't even remember exactly what my weight is for that day which is fine by me.
  • real_change
    real_change Posts: 53 Member
    @NovusDies That is really interesting and seems like a great perspective for large weight loss. I’m starting to collect more data so I can analyze trends. I really do struggle with taking the scale too personally. Things are going well now but I go back to a very stressful job in a month and I’m really hoping the work I’ve been doing this summer sticks. Maybe your approach would help with that. Thanks for being so generous with your knowledge and time.
  • NovusDies
    @NovusDies That is really interesting and seems like a great perspective for large weight loss. I’m starting to collect more data so I can analyze trends. I really do struggle with taking the scale too personally. Things are going well now but I go back to a very stressful job in a month and I’m really hoping the work I’ve been doing this summer sticks. Maybe your approach would help with that. Thanks for being so generous with your knowledge and time.

Just keep in mind what I do is only a potential idea for someone else. If it seems like it might fit you could try it for a period of time as an experiment. It may make things easier or harder.

I think that is just another way this group can help each other. Sharing good ideas and even sharing ideas that flopped might provide a piece of the puzzle for someone else. That is why I am so interested in your Beck program. I believe that by studying things like that I might find another piece for myself. I feel like I have most of the answer for myself for today and the immediate future. Beyond that things could change a little or a lot.
  • jjlewey
    jjlewey Posts: 248 Member
    Getting frustrated with the scale, my logical brain understands that it is not the end all be all. My emotional brain is getting big green hulk angry that I have weighed 403.something for 5 days in a row. I want to see 399.9 already. Is it vacation time yet?
  • NovusDies
    jjlewey wrote: »
    Getting frustrated with the scale, my logical brain understands that it is not the end all be all. My emotional brain is getting big green hulk angry that I have weighed 403.something for 5 days in a row. I want to see 399.9 already. Is it vacation time yet?

I hate milestones. I mean I like when they pass by but when they are close IT IS THE WORST. I am normally so disciplined but those blasted milestones suck me in. I was once desperate enough to see the number that I stripped down completely (I normally weigh with shorts on).

3rd shift is probably screwing with you at the moment. You will probably either whoosh right past 399 or just drag your weight down water retention and all into 399 soon.