What are your Long-Term Goals?

merph518
merph518 Posts: 702 Member
edited August 2019 in Social Groups
I didn't see a thread like this and figured it'd be a good one to get started. What are you shooting for long-term, fitness and weight loss oriented -- or anything else you feel like sharing?

For me, in rough order:
  • Lose 50 lbs.
  • Lose as much weight as my daughter weighs (70 lbs)
  • Sub-300 lbs. Getting closer to this one.
  • Complete the Couch to 5k program.
  • Complete a 5k race.
  • Bike 20+ miles and not feel utterly destroyed in doing so.
  • Start weight training (aiming for doing this come winter at the latest).
  • Feel comfortable enough to swim in a public setting, shirtless.
  • Surpass my low weight (230 lbs) from when I lost a bunch 10 years ago.
  • Reach my first major goal weight, 195 lbs. This puts me just out of the "obese" category per BMI ranges.
  • Reach my high school (1998) weight. To be honest, I don't know what it was... but I do know I wore size 34 pants.

Replies

• merph518
    That's some awesome progress @jeannalyn1227. Way to go.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    This is a good thread but remember when you do goals not to make them all weight loss or fitness related. Try to think in terms of how your life will improve too. What does weight loss unlock for you? How will you be a better all-around person?
    • Be below 200 - not sure where I am stopping but that was the number I was fighting with when I was a teen
    • Wear off-the-rack clothes
    • Be comfortable again on an airplane
    • Travel with my wife without feeling like an anchor - almost there
    • Ride a bike again - surgery
    • Hike 5+ miles - surgery
    • Be a better uncle now that my nephew lost his father
    • Be more spontaneous

• merph518
    NovusDies wrote: »
    This is a good thread but remember when you do goals not to make them all weight loss or fitness related.

Yeah, these aren't my only goals for sure. Just the ones relevant to MFP. :)

• NovusDies
    merph518 wrote: »
    This is a good thread but remember when you do goals not to make them all weight loss or fitness related.

Yeah, these aren't my only goals for sure. Just the ones relevant to MFP. :)

Sorry. I have a hard time turning me off sometimes.
  • amkita
    amkita Posts: 183 Member
    here's a few things I'm working towards:

-lose 20 lbs (NY resolution) check!
    -another 20, maybe by year's end?
    -get back into biking check
    -do the small lake loop (13.2 miles) check
    -learn some basic bike maintenance (will do when I get my bike back from the shop... today hopefully!)
    -do the big lake loop (23.2 miles)
    -work towards real pushups, rather than wall pushups
    -get under 200 lbs
    -get under 180 lbs (previous adult low)
    -figure out what a comfortable healthy weight is

I'm thinking I'll have more fitness-related goals in the future , especially as I find more fun activities to engage in. :)
  • amkita
    @NovusDies oops, I forgot non weight or fitness related items. although, everything biking related is about 30% fitness, 70% fun, so I think it counts!
  • merph518
    Sorry. I have a hard time turning me off sometimes.

No need to apologize or anything. You do you!
  • merph518
    amkita wrote: »
    -do the big lake loop (23.2 miles)

Ooooooo... that sounds like a great idea. I'll have to find a similar length ride and give that a try! Thanks.

• amkita
    @merph518 yeah! I'm hoping to work up to it this year, but we'll see. I'm not sure if I'll need special gear? maybe a snack? the nice thing is it's a big old lake here in town, so if I have any bike issues I can have someone pick me up.
  • NovusDies
    amkita wrote: »
    @NovusDies oops, I forgot non weight or fitness related items. although, everything biking related is about 30% fitness, 70% fun, so I think it counts!

It definitely counts. I didn't make the comment to necessarily correct anyone or make you list more things but to just think about it. People have an easier time typically in investing in a goal that is beyond just weight loss and fitness. The more you are invested the more are likely to stick with it.

While I was gaining I was blind to how much it was costing me. I guess I knew on some levels but the totality of it wasn't impacting me as much as it should have. Part of changing me into an effective weight manager now and hopefully later is keeping focus on those things.
  • merph518
    edited August 2019
    @amkita I just mapped out a ride from home, around our nearby small lake, and back home. 16.6 miles. Not bad. I'll have to try that before the end of the summer.
  • NovusDies
    • Buy a bike

I guess it would help to own one before I tried to ride one since people get so nasty about stealing their bikes for some reason. I have already started poking around looking at some options but I think next March is when I will get really serious about pulling the trigger. I will likely need some help in Jan-Feb to decide what will work for me without breaking the bank.
  • amkita
    @NovusDies I'm planning on replacing my bike around that time too, as a self-birthday gift!

@merph518 that sounds like a perfect challenge. and hopefully a pretty ride as well. 😃
  • maiomaio71
    maiomaio71 Posts: 231 Member
    I'm going to Prague with my mother next year so I'd like to be comfortable on the plane, be able to walk all day with her without getting too tired and do all the holiday/sight-seeing things without worrying about about fitting in chairs, seats, boats etc.
    I'm trying to avoid surgery for another issue and it's definitely improving with the weightloss so I'm hoping that will not have to happen!
    I think I want lose a total of 60kg, but that might increase as I get closer to my goal.
    I'm trying to reduce my meat and dairy consumption and eat a higher plant-based diet. So my aim is to have 3 non-meat meals a week but still get enough protein!
    Finally, I need to brave my cat's wrath and cut her claws this week. @NovusDies that's my non-weight goal😀
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    My long term goals are to able to enjoy walking again,shopping,looking fit,being healthy.....living a lot longer!