What are your favorite craving crushing foods?

coffeexxeyes
coffeexxeyes Posts: 35 Member
edited August 2019 in Food and Nutrition
First, I'm all about indulging in moderation! But, when I'm craving something I know is terrible for my body (ex: chic fil a loaded with preservatives), I usually try to think of alternatives that may be just as satisfying.

Calories aside, what are some healthier craving crushing alternatives you enjoy? I wanted chic fil a badly today, but thought carefully for a moment and found some organic beef jerky and a bit of cheese just as satisfying (probably more!) I guess I just wanted that saltiness and some fat. Also added some wine :)

Would love to hear what ideas you have. Especially you ladies! We know how those cravings can get during certain times. ❤

Replies

• coffeexxeyes
    coffeexxeyes Posts: 35 Member
    edited August 2019
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    I wanted pizza the other day and instead of getting a whole pizza, I bought one slice. 😉

Sometimes it's gotta be the real deal.

I totally agree! ❤ I'm going out for fried chicken, collards, mashed potatoes, biscuits, and gravy tomorrow, though. So I held back today!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,594 Member
    If you are craving a crispy carby snack along the lines of potato chips, I find a lot of snacks sold for deep frying at home puff and crisp up in the microwave. Poppadums (about 60 seconds) and asian prawn crackers (about 30 seconds).
  • reversemigration
    reversemigration Posts: 168 Member
    For sweet cravings, fruit with yogurt usually works for me. Gum also does the trick.
  • ldaratha
    ldaratha Posts: 29 Member
    Greek yogurt and graham crackers hit the sweet spot for me. And I just ate some cucumbers soaked in vinegar...instead of chips!
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,538 Member
    Plain Greek yogurt with a little monkfruit, strawberries, and blueberries is great when I'm craving sweets. Same with apples.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Cut pineapple is an all around great craving crushing food for me. It fills me up more than most foods, fills a sweet craving, and leaves me feeling hydrated and energized. It's one of the benefits of living in the tropics.
  • MrsLead
    MrsLead Posts: 8 Member
    Instead of ice cream or candy bars I really like the chobani flips. Especially the s’mores and chocolate chip cookie ones. So good and satisfy the sweetie in me
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    MrsLead wrote: »
    Instead of ice cream or candy bars I really like the chobani flips. Especially the s’mores and chocolate chip cookie ones. So good and satisfy the sweetie in me

Yes, this summer I have been going for yogurt and fruit instead of ice cream. This satisfies me for far less calories, and no sugar high.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    For salt cravings, I have more salt.

I was wanting something salty mid-afternoon, and fixed this by adding a little more salt to my lunchtime smoothie.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    If you are craving a crispy carby snack along the lines of potato chips, I find a lot of snacks sold for deep frying at home puff and crisp up in the microwave. Poppadums (about 60 seconds) and asian prawn crackers (about 30 seconds).

Another option is a few pasta para duros (a wagon-wheel shaped slightly orange-ish looking Mexican pasta, usually available somewhere in a big grocery store that's mysteriously not the pasta aisle - bulk produce area, in my store, near other Mexican/South American specialities; or in a specialty grocery).

Traditionally, they're deep-fried, but I like to take a few, dampen with water, then coat with a popcorn salt/chili powder mix, and microwave flat on a plate (watch closely: like the puppodums, they shift from done to burned fast). They puff up and are crunchy, salty and spicy. (The duros by themselves are very neutral tasting.) Obviously, different spices could be used, or a little lime juice instead of water would be good.
  • AnnPT77
    For salt cravings, sauerkraut, pickles, or kim chi are good choices.

On the sweet side, I'm all for the fruit and/or yogurt others have mentioned, or a modest-sized but very good chocolate. Frozen cherries (still frozen) with plain nonfat yogurt and some chocolate PB2 peanut butter was a favored summer treat when I was losing weight.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,309 Member
    Any bbq/smoked food.. ribs, brisket, pulled pork..etc.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    For salt cravings, sauerkraut, pickles, or kim chi are good choices.

Exactly this. Or some radish or kohlrabi with a little salt on it.
    On the sweet side, I'm all for the fruit and/or yogurt others have mentioned, or a modest-sized but very good chocolate. Frozen cherries (still frozen) with plain nonfat yogurt and some chocolate PB2 peanut butter was a favored summer treat when I was losing weight.

My standby right now is fruit too. In addition to all the amazing fresh fruit, one option I like is to blend and freeze strawberries or raspberries in an ice tray (or you can get popsicle mold thingies, and then eat those if it's hot and I want something a little sweet.

I'm more likely to crave fruit than merely "sweet" anyway.

One trick if you are craving a particular dish is to think about what aspect of the dish you are craving -- all of it, or simply an element? I used to have these buffalo chicken sandwiches from a take out place as an indulgence, but when I thought about it I really just want the buffalo sauce, so now I have other dishes that use that or something similar but don't have all the extra cals. I used to really enjoy coming up with ways to recreate the taste I wanted within the context of my normal dinner/cals, etc.
  • Foodiemom67
    Foodiemom67 Posts: 22 Member
    i have to admit, i eat what i crave ...but just mini sizes and i savor every bite...1 slice of pizza, 1 mini or fun size chocolate..1 piece of bread...etc..sometimes, like the others, i gotta have the real thing..:)
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,594 Member

Another option is a few pasta para duros (a wagon-wheel shaped slightly orange-ish looking Mexican pasta, usually available somewhere in a big grocery store that's mysteriously not the pasta aisle - bulk produce area, in my store, near other Mexican/South American specialities; or in a specialty grocery).

Traditionally, they're deep-fried, but I like to take a few, dampen with water, then coat with a popcorn salt/chili powder mix, and microwave flat on a plate (watch closely: like the puppodums, they shift from done to burned fast). They puff up and are crunchy, salty and spicy. (The duros by themselves are very neutral tasting.) Obviously, different spices could be used, or a little lime juice instead of water would be good.

Great idea to dampen and coat with flavoured salt. Vietnamese rice papers (sold for soaking in water for wrapping up summer rolls) also crisp and puff to a nice texture in the microwave but I found them a little bland. In the US do they also sell corn chips to deep fry at home? I wonder if you could make fat free tortilla chips in the microwave?
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    ldaratha wrote: »
    Greek yogurt and graham crackers hit the sweet spot for me. And I just ate some cucumbers soaked in vinegar...instead of chips!

I LOVE these two ideas!! Thank you!!! :)
  • AnnPT77

Great idea to dampen and coat with flavoured salt. Vietnamese rice papers (sold for soaking in water for wrapping up summer rolls) also crisp and puff to a nice texture in the microwave but I found them a little bland. In the US do they also sell corn chips to deep fry at home? I wonder if you could make fat free tortilla chips in the microwave?

I haven't seen raw corn chips here, but have seen uncooked whole tortillas. There may be chips at the appropriate specialty grocery shops, but I haven't checked.
  • Mcwi3681
    Mcwi3681 Posts: 67 Member
    Fiber One brownies knock out any chocolate cravings at only 70 calories (and they have 5 g fiber!)
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    I've been obsessed with making tortilla pizzas. Take a tortilla (corn or whole wheat usually for me), then top with whatever pizza stuff you want. I like reduced fat red pesto, artichokes, assorted veg, some grated cheddar or goat cheese. Grill for 10 min. Voila.

Also a big fan of yoghurt, berries, Pb2 or real peanut butter, bit of cereal or one biscuit for crunch. Or tonight I had 50g of ice cream but bulked it up with 100g of yoghurt. Or I'll have oatmeal with chocolate protein powder and fruit as a dessert. Sometimes I bake it and it turns into a pancake type thing.

I find trying to eat a meal with all zucchini/courgette pasta not filling enough, so I do half actual pasta and half courgette as a compromise. More filling/less deprivation.

Salt & vinegar rice cakes instead of crisps, or the ones made from lentils or chickpeas so they have a bit more fibre/protein.