Cognitive Behavioral Therapy

kosseychick
kosseychick Posts: 244 Member
Hello everyone. I'm contemplating trying CBT for weight management.. I've had an unhealthy relationship with food for most of my adult life. I had taken CBT years ago when I was in a dark place mentally and it helped pull me out of that black hole.. Just curious if anyone has tried it for weight management before? I see there is a workbook exclusively for CBT and weightloss. Think I'm going to give it a go. Any thoughts on this type of therapy? Thanks in advance.😊 Tara

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I know it really works for some people. I don't know if our group is big enough yet to have someone with experience in it but I don't really know.
  • NovusDies
    Here is a reply today about this very thing:
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Sometimes people avoid therapy because they think it will be years and years about talking about your childhood. That's Freudian, not Cognitive Behavioral Therapy :)

This book on Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for overeating was available in my library system, so perhaps yours as well.

The Beck Diet Solution: Train Your Brain to Think Like a Thin Person

Can thinking and eating like a thin person be learned, similar to learning to drive or use a computer? Beck (Cognitive Therapy for Challenging Problems) contends so, based on decades of work with patients who have lost pounds and maintained weight through Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). Beck's six-week program adapts CBT, a therapeutic system developed by Beck's father, Aaron, in the 1960s, to specific challenges faced by yo-yo dieters, including negative thinking, bargaining, emotional eating, bingeing, and eating out. Beck counsels readers day-by-day, introducing new elements (creating advantage response cards, choosing a diet, enlisting a diet coach, making a weight-loss graph) progressively and offering tools to help readers stay focused (writing exercises, to-do lists, ways to counter negative thoughts). There are no eating plans, calorie counts, recipes or exercises; according to Beck, any healthy diet will work if readers learn to think differently about eating and food. Beck's book is like an extended therapy session with a diet coach. (Apr.)

I didn't realize it but I believe this is what @real_change is doing.
  • kosseychick
    NovusDies thanks for posting this and the link. I'm looking forward to reviewing the link😊
  • real_change
    real_change Posts: 53 Member
    I’m using the Beck Workbook and I think it’s pretty great. I’ve commented before that there’s one major flaw in my opinion, but I use this group to overcome that. The book requires you find a diet coach that you will report back to weekly or if you’re struggling. They say it can be a friend or family member but I personally didn’t feel comfortable putting that on anyone. I joined this group for that role and it’s really working out well. This has to be the healthiest, kindest support group I’ve ever experienced. And I’m learning a lot of great habits with the workbook. And none of it conflicts with @NovusDies pearls of wisdom. If there’s enough interest, we could potentially create a subgroup within this group who actively commit to the diet coach role for each other. I don’t know if that means another group or thread. BUT whatever you do, stay connected to this group!
  • NovusDies
    I’m using the Beck Workbook and I think it’s pretty great. I’ve commented before that there’s one major flaw in my opinion, but I use this group to overcome that. The book requires you find a diet coach that you will report back to weekly or if you’re struggling. They say it can be a friend or family member but I personally didn’t feel comfortable putting that on anyone. I joined this group for that role and it’s really working out well. This has to be the healthiest, kindest support group I’ve ever experienced. And I’m learning a lot of great habits with the workbook. And none of it conflicts with @NovusDies pearls of wisdom. If there’s enough interest, we could potentially create a subgroup within this group who actively commit to the diet coach role for each other. I don’t know if that means another group or thread. BUT whatever you do, stay connected to this group!

I don't care if you do it here. I am very interested in learning anything new myself. If you think it would require multiple threads that might push the others off too much another group might be better.
  • maiomaio71
    maiomaio71 Posts: 231 Member
    Do you purchase the workbook separately?
  • kosseychick
    I guess I'm lucky that I've got a good friend who is with me on my journey to healthier living as she is doing it herself. She is interested in trying the CBT with me. Thanks for the information and your experience with it @real_change 😊
  • kosseychick
    @maiomaio71 I believe you can purchase the book on Amazon.
  • maiomaio71
    maiomaio71 Posts: 231 Member
    Thanks @kosseychick . I'll have a look
  • real_change
    real_change Posts: 53 Member
    I bought the workbook on amazon.
  • gewel321
    gewel321 Posts: 718 Member
    I know this post is a bit older but I am new here. I am a therapist that specializes in DBT (a type of CBT with more enhanced coping skills). I think it is a great idea to help with weight loss. Seeing a therapist will help you to explore reasons why you eat and ways to help you "rework" your brain to think differently about food and your body! I've never thought to use it for a client for weight loss but I can see how it would work in a modified way.
  • kosseychick
    I've been working through my CBT Workbook for Weight Management the last few months. It definitely helps with helping me with my mindset about why I chose to over eat under certain circumstances.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,454 Member
    There’s a book by Albert Ellis called the Art And Science Of Rational Eating. I read it years ago. It helped me quite a bit.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member

I have a thread in the Weekly Weigh In Group for it (think you're already a member?).

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10768921/my-beck-diet-journal#latest
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    I read her books and highly recommend them. I haven't bought the workbook but have considered it. I have alot of notes electronically and find it really helpful to go back and reconnect from time to time. Before I lost weight I listed all the reasons I wanted to lose and it really helps when things get tough to go back and remind myself how I felt before I lost. Gives me that extra little push to keep counting calories.
  • Hubzilla
    Hubzilla Posts: 27 Member
    Spent $3 for the Kindle The Complete Beck Diet For Life - it looks like a good read