People who work full time how do you find time to work out

124»

Replies

• sherryg555
    sherryg555 Posts: 2 Member
    It sound like you are still transitioning into the "real world" where you start to realize you will never have free time again to just sit and relax :) It is hard to get up in the mornings, I realize that, but it is about priorities and what works for you.

I started working out in the morning because my husband and I had to drop off / pick up the kid from day care. I chose morning workouts because I could always find an excuse NOT to work out at night. I am hungry, need to make dinner, stop at store, I am tired, long day. etc. I get up at 4:00, at gym by 4:30 for a 90 minute-ish work out, home by 6:15 - 6:30, out the door by 7:00 - 7:15. I have an hour commute each way plus a 9 hour day. I get home, cook, eat, relax maybe and am in bed by 9:00. I have been doing this for so long, I can tell the difference in my attitude at work if I take a rest day during the week. It sets my day up for success.

It isn't for everyone but it is what is right for me. My husband on the other hand, has no problem going to the gym after work and staying until 7:30 or later. That is not for me.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,215 Member
    A. Not having time to go to the gym is an excuse for gaining weight and not watching/logging/tracking what you're eating. All you need is to be in a caloric deficit and restricting intake is usually far more effective and sustainable than trying to exercise your way to weight loss.

B. If exercise is that important to you, you'll find a way to make time for it.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    You MAKE time ... Before work and/or late at night if you must. It's a lifestyle overhaul, not a trend opt in.
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 839 Member
    I got to bed earlier and wake up earlier to get workout in.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,084 Member
    When I worked a desk job I had no problem fitting in exercise. Now I work a physically demanding job in a feed mill and cannot seem to find the energy to workout. I work an afternoon shift and don't have the energy in the morning to workout and still have energy for work later in the day. I miss my desk job.
  • Cutemesoon
    Cutemesoon Posts: 2,646 Member
    I lost 100lbs by working out at home. I work a full time desk job. I try to be mindful of getting up and walking around so that i'm not sedentary all day. As soon as I get home, I change into my gym clothes. I workout for a half hr or so then rest or get ready for the next day. Then a few hrs later, I work out for another hr. I can't use the excuse that it's to cold, dark or rainy outside. Youtube, weights, resistance bands, a mat & foam roller are all I need.

Hopefully, you take the excellent advice everyone has given you & you find the motivation to work out. Good luck on ur journey!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,811 Member
    edited August 2019
    bhanvi30 wrote: »
    How do you guys do it? How do you manage time, find motivation and energy to go to gym? What does your schedule look like?

Would really appreciate all the help!

I work full time at a desk job and attend university part time getting my Master's degree.

I walk as part of my commute.
    I take the stairs and I often climb extra stairs throughout the day when I get up to stretch and get another coffee.
    I walk at lunch.
    My husband and I often walk, cycle or exercise indoors after work.
    We also do the same on weekends.

I also walk to get places ... I rarely drive. So I walk between the university and work. I walk to the bus, and around here, sometimes that can be a couple km. I walk to the shops, to medical appointments, to run errands, etc.

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    The bottom line..is you have to carve out time ...throw out something else to allow time for the work out . What that is is up to you. You could work out at home ..or head to a gym... you could even exercise though out your day. You jut have to really want to do it.. you can make it work..no matter what..
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,522 Member
    Listen to @Machka9 this is good advice.

I have been through this routine several times. My work day is 11-12 hours a day plus 8 hours one day at a weekend. This idea we have to have a gym is nonsense. Simple changes;
    - take the stairs at work, shopping centre, anywhere you would take a lift or escalator,
    - if travelling by car park a distance from work so you walk in,
    - if you have the option cycle to and from work or walk in then run home then do it,
    - take a brisk lunchtime walk,
    - Go to the pub with the team once a month, not every week, spend that extra time on a workout,
    - Have weights at home to use whilst watching TV, listening to music, etc.

THIS IS THE BIG ONE - keeping weight control is more about diet than exercise. Exercise will give you strength and toning but it will not make a scrap of difference if you over eat and eat badly. Get control of what you eat.
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,105 Member
    I get my motivation from seeing the results, I'm still obese but I can run up the stairs at work now without thinking about it - I used to walk up and be out of breath.

Having time is another matter, I always said I didn't have any - 2 kids, work, house, blah blah blah, but I made a decision to start at a gym and gave myself a routine. 2 friends joined with me so now I meet them after work on Tuesday and Thursday and again on Sunday morning for a gossip and workout. I walk to work from time to time too.
    Going with friends really helps, if I don't go I'm letting them down too.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,388 Member
    bhanvi30 wrote: »
    Hello everyone!

In past I had lost 40 pounds and was able to maintain a healthy lifestyle (i was in college). As soon as I started working (desk job) I started gaining all my weight back. After working for 8 hours every day I have no energy or motivation left to go to the gym and it’s really hard to wake up early in the morning to go to gym since I have such little time now.

How do you guys do it? How do you manage time, find motivation and energy to go to gym? What does your schedule look like?

Would really appreciate all the help!

You're not working for 15 hours, do you? There's a lot of free time for short workouts I'd say, depending on your situation and priorities.

My weekday looks kind of like this:

7:30 alarm, get awake, surf net, get out of bed, loo, wash, make breakfast and lunch (oats with skyr, sandwiches), cycle to work
    8:30 start working, cut fruit for breakfast in work kitchen, eat brakfast and lunch at work, maybe go to supermarket during lunch for groceries
    17:00 cycle home
    17:15 cook dinner
    17:45 eat dinner
    22:30 sleep

Thus there's a whooping 4.5 hours time left to do things I enjoy. Including working out, learning to play guitar or a language, fix or repair things (also a hobby), maybe watch a bit of tv, etc.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    I'm a believer that something is better than nothing. There's going to be people who honestly can't fit in gym sessions several times a week. But most people can do something.
    Getting to the gym just once a week is still going to improve your body, but not to the same degree.
    It could be part of your routine to do squats every time you wait for the kettle to boil, run up/down/up the stairs, instead of just walking up them, do press-ups off the counter while you wait for the microwave or toaster. It's not ideal, but it's a lot better than doing nothing.

• J_Fabulous
    J_Fabulous Posts: 63 Member
    edited August 2019
    I wake up at 5:30 am to work out by 6:00 then I come home and get ready for work. Six months ago, if you told me that I'd be waking up at that hour I'd told you that you were crazy.

You need to decide what is more important to you. The temporary comfort of laying in bed, or the prominent joy of reaching your goal. Transformation only happens when we challenge ourselves. Nobody ever changed by laying in bed.

"Learn to be comfortable with being uncomfortable"
  • brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    For me its not about finding time, its about MAKING it.
    It has to be a priority for me. I've skipped plans before to get my gym time in.
    I work 12 hour shifts, sometimes I'm forced and it becomes a 16 hour shift. And I have almost an hour drive to work.
  • mittencat77
    mittencat77 Posts: 137 Member
    I have a job where I work 6-7 days a week have the year (not 9-5...but anywhere from 5-12 hours a day) and 2-3 days half the year. For much of that first half I can maintain working out. I have found the key is to use the weekends (that is two workouts right there) and then pick one or two of your work days that would be most convenient. That will give you 3-4 times a week which should be sufficient if you are consistent. It is hard balancing work and working out but it gives you energy when you do and a sense of satisfaction. Keeping all your stuff organized can also really help and if you can find a friend to do it with it will also boost your commitment. You can do it and once it becomes a habit you won’t even think about it.
  • TheChristianSimone
    TheChristianSimone Posts: 156 Member
    Now if you have obligations like tiny spawns and a adult spawn aka spouse it can be harder but honestly being fat isn't a good look for me so I would rather go workout even if I'm tired and do it and feel like a respectable person for myself and that way I know as I get older I am ensuring being something great vs a liability so the investment in self is like important. Youtube videos have been a savior for me with anxiety as I can do it in my home and get a wide variety of things. I think we go for whatever we want.
  • disney_addict_1028
    disney_addict_1028 Posts: 95 Member
    Summer time I don’t work out - I spend my time with the kids doing outside activities - I have a very physically demanding job ( I’m a massage therapist ) when my kids go back I go to the gym while they are at school 3 days a week :)
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,308 Member
    edited August 2019
    Mornin walk 1.5 or so miles... Walk during breaks and lunch.. and lift (at he with dumbbells) and threadmill if I haven't met my daily goal of 5 miles/day.

Do push-ups and squats while watching TV /news what not.