Apple cider vinegar

What are your thoughts on apple cider vinegar? Does it really suppress your appetite?

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Terytha wrote: »
    So far, it's the best fly trap I've ever had. After just a few hours, hundreds of dead fruit flies. Very effective. Very gross. Appetite successfully killed. D:

Thanks for this! 🙂

I've been leaving the door to the garden open, and my place got inundated. I like fruit and that's become a problem.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    So far, it's the best fly trap I've ever had. After just a few hours, hundreds of dead fruit flies. Very effective. Very gross. Appetite successfully killed. D:

Thanks for this! 🙂

I've been leaving the door to the garden open, and my place got inundated. I like fruit and that's become a problem.

I put the vinigar in a bowl, stretch cling film across, poke very small pin holes in the cling film, then collect fruit flies that can’t escape.

Lots of fruit in our garden that needs gathering and processing right now so the flies become very interested.

Cheers, h.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member

Thanks for this! 🙂

I put the vinigar in a bowl, stretch cling film across, poke very small pin holes in the cling film, then collect fruit flies that can’t escape.

Lots of fruit in our garden that needs gathering and processing right now so the flies become very interested.

Cheers, h.

Yep. Also add a drop of dish soap, it breaks the surface tension so they don't just float on top.

Ooh I don’t know why I never thought of that. So obvious.

Cheers, h.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Apple cider vinegar is more useful as a cleaning product than it is something to help you lose weight.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    MPDean wrote: »
    I read an article where Cheryl Cole said ACV and celery juice were the secrets of her weight loss regime. The explanation was the ACV binds to carbs and makes you feel full for longer.

If the website had a woo button I would have used it.

Oops, I nearly woo'd you.
    I just wonder how binding something with fairly few calories and mass to specifically carbs makes you full longer. Maybe if ACV comes with little suction cups that effectively suction the food to the walls of the stomach, while protecting it from stomach acid (an acid offering protection against acid?), and thus it stays there for longer :*:D
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,978 Member
    edited August 2019
    I don't think drinking it neat is bad either - unless in ridiculous copious quantity, but that goes for any food.

I don't drink it or use it in any way at all myself and I certainly don't believe any magic claims about it - but it isn't bad for you to drink if you want to.

It just doesn't do anything special.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Sm3018 wrote: »
    What are your thoughts on apple cider vinegar? Does it really suppress your appetite?

ACV is good in marinades, dressings and other recipes. It holds no magical properties.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    Jackie9003 wrote: »
    Jackie9003 wrote: »
    There are lots of threads on here about it, and the fact that it's just a load of nonsense, the BBC did a little study on it and they said the same. It's acid, it's not good for you.

Just for clarity it’s not bad for you, it just does nothing in terms of fat loss, cleansing or any of the other wild claims you see touted.

Plenty of acids in daily foods, after all! I use it in a lot of recipes, just like I use many other acids.

I meant drinking it neat is not good, in recipes it's fine.

Drinking it neat is no worse, based on acidity, than numerous common beverages.

ACV at the standard commercial 5% dilution runs around pH 3.3-3.5 (some other vinegars can be lower, i.e., more acidic), as I understand it. (Diluting it with water raises the pH, making it less acidic, since water is higher pH).

Clearly, limiting all corrosive drinks is a good plan (according to the ADA), but ACV isn't likely a special scary case.

https://www.ada.org/en/~/media/ADA/Public Programs/Files/JADA_The pH of beverages in the United States

(NOTE: Unfortunately, the MFP editor seems unable to correctly handle that URL. You may need to cut'n'paste it into your browser if you want to read the American Dental Association article about acidity of common beverages.).