The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Replies

• lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    GOOD MORN to all B) It's a grey, overcast morning in my neck of the woods and I'm headed a few hours south to stay overnight at my niece's place. I was hoping to lounge in her pool this aft, but they are calling for thunderstorms in her area, so I will need to have a dip when the risk has passed. My goal is to float for a bit cause it totally relaxes me. I'm hoping the weather people are wrong as usual LOL A few more days of holidays left and last night was my first half decent sleep in weeks.

This niece is not a drinker normally although she admitted she has been drinking more than normal in the past few months since she began dating again. The hermit part of me just wanted to stay home, but I think it will be good for me to get a change of scenery.

Have a good day and hoping to see lots of comments when I return. B)
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,158 Member
    GOOD MORN to all B) It's a grey, overcast morning in my neck of the woods and I'm headed a few hours south to stay overnight at my niece's place. I was hoping to lounge in her pool this aft, but they are calling for thunderstorms in her area, so I will need to have a dip when the risk has passed. My goal is to float for a bit cause it totally relaxes me. I'm hoping the weather people are wrong as usual LOL A few more days of holidays left and last night was my first half decent sleep in weeks.

This niece is not a drinker normally although she admitted she has been drinking more than normal in the past few months since she began dating again. The hermit part of me just wanted to stay home, but I think it will be good for me to get a change of scenery.

Have a good day and hoping to see lots of comments when I return. B)

I think it will be good for you to getaway; you have been through so much!! Enjoy the peaceful floating time!
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Morning friends, overcast here too Lorraine but like you said the weather guy is always wrong and I'm sure the sun will pop out eventually today,glad the memorial went ok,I do need to think there's something else beyond this life or I'll go bananas! When my brother committed suicide I had many of my customers tell me he was going directly to hell because suicide is a sin,I don't believe that,I think God would hafta have sympathy for someone so messed up in the head to cause them to take such drastic measures,wow that's depressing for first thing in the morning haha,sorry! I don't care for the word alcoholic,I think it's outdated and too broad,yes I know I'm classified one I'm defo not in denial about that but I identify more with AUD,any doctor can classify anybody that drinks more than 7 drinks a week an alcoholic, that would be pretty much 80% of the population I think,I dunno I just hate that word,I'm glad we're all here working on ourselves and try to become the people we want to be,that makes me very happy😁 waves to all and wishes for a fab AF day!
  • RubyRed427
    whitpauly wrote: »
    Morning friends, overcast here too Lorraine but like you said the weather guy is always wrong and I'm sure the sun will pop out eventually today,glad the memorial went ok,I do need to think there's something else beyond this life or I'll go bananas! When my brother committed suicide I had many of my customers tell me he was going directly to hell because suicide is a sin,I don't believe that,I think God would hafta have sympathy for someone so messed up in the head to cause them to take such drastic measures,wow that's depressing for first thing in the morning haha,sorry! I don't care for the word alcoholic,I think it's outdated and too broad,yes I know I'm classified one I'm defo not in denial about that but I identify more with AUD,any doctor can classify anybody that drinks more than 7 drinks a week an alcoholic, that would be pretty much 80% of the population I think,I dunno I just hate that word,I'm glad we're all here working on ourselves and try to become the people we want to be,that makes me very happy😁 waves to all and wishes for a fab AF day!

It's just horrible that anyone said that to you after your brother died. Just heartless of these people!!

When our pastor was asked what happens when someone commits suicide, he replied "God loves everyone." It was a simple but good answer. I believe God probably gave your brother the biggest hug and said "welcome to paradise."
  • RubyRed427
    donimfp wrote: »
    @RubyRed427, I think a good therapist with whom you click is an amazing gift. I'm so grateful for mine, whom I've been seeing "as needed" for almost 30 years. Once she retires, I'm afraid I'll be tempted to pull a Bill Murray in "What About Bob"!

I have an appt. with an ENT on Monday regarding this horrible ringing in my ear. Last night I finally had 2 drinks because that stops it (temporarily). I know alcohol actually makes it worse in the long run, but it does provide temporary relief when I feel like I can't stand it another minute. Hopefully there is a solution that doesn't involve alcohol because I missed my morning walk today and don't want to use alcohol in any amount. Frustrating!

@whitpauly, it is really amazing how insensitive people can be sometimes. My oldest son is profoundly mentally handicapped, and when I was a young new mother, people said things that I couldn't really believe people would say! I think 99.9% of it comes from unwitting insensitivity, so I try to just let it go. But seriously? I just pray I'm never callous enough to say something as hurtful as what you describe. Anyway, we know enough to write it off as the ignorance it is, right?

“What about Bob” is one of my favorite movies ever !!
    I hope the doc can help you - must be horrible to have that ringing 😢
  • whitpauly
    Good job @FeelingFooFoo on avoiding the wine❤️ @ donimfp that ringing must be truly annoying! I get it from time to time but only for a few seconds and that's long enough to annoy me,thanks for the kind words regarding my brother, religion and politics are beliefs that people should keep to themselves and those people who said that to me shoulda just kept their opinions to themselves I think cuz we all have our own beliefs on those things,one of my coworkers is in the hospital again for drinking too much,I hope she's gonna be ok just heartbreaking
  • IWillTakeBackMyLife
    IWillTakeBackMyLife Posts: 155 Member
    Checking in again this week. 115 days free from alcohol. I'm still vaping THC which defeats my urge to drink. I have been doing it once a week every Friday. Today just so happens to be Friday, so I'm going to do it again most likely tonight, unless I otherwise change my mind. This routine is working out pretty well I'd say so far.
  • lorrainequiche59
    I'm Back from my quickie vaycay. The weather turned out fine. Cooler than we've had normally, but definitely more comfortable. My niece's pool is quite warm so it was lovely with the cooler weather. I thought there was only going to be a couple of people there, but ended up being quite a crowd of family for dinner and lots of drinks among most of them & into the late evening. I think the more I'm around alcohol, at least lately, the less I'm tempted. AND I have just as much fun & maybe more cause I know that I won't wake up feeling like I was just hit by a truck, or wondering what I said or did OR worse, remembering the Stupid things that I said or did.....thank you! My drive home, although tired due to a late night & early morning, was way easier just being tired rather than tired AND hungover...I remember past times driving hours to get home anxiety ridden because of the after effects of too much the night before. I was likely still impaired from the night before....yukko...it is a fantastic freedom to be AF in many ways.

I love coming back here to see all the comments :D
  • lorrainequiche59
    @Whitpauly <3 Beyond insensitive & thoughtless!! I agree that when people get to the point where they want to end their life, they are in a place in their head space where they just want to end their pain...I'm not even sure they want to die, but they see no other option in order to be out of the pain that seems never ending. We were created with a desire to live so if we no longer have that desire it means that something has gone terribly wrong & we need help. Unfortunately, some never get that help for varying reasons. Suicide is one of the absolutely most difficult deaths to cope with for those who are left behind. All the unanswered questions and the "What ifs...." You deserve compassion not someone's cruel judgement and you can be assured that our Creator is not cruel and he understands what led to your brother's despair and how it affects you & your family and he cares. <3 Hugs to you!! :'(
  • lorrainequiche59
    @FeelinFooFoo Proud of you :D

@RubyRed427 and @JenT304 Hi to you two too! B)

@donimfp I hope that the ENT has more encouraging news for you re: lessening your ear issues. You have a good attitude in spite of getting such discouraging news. Disappointment is a totally normal reaction. You're not ranting, just sharing your frustration. I hope there is a blessing somewhere for you in all of this. <3 I'm glad you are able to escape the heat at your Mom's...there's one blessing: you still have your Mom :)

@IWillTakeBackMyLife Congrats on 115 days AF !! :)

• whitpauly
    Morning friends, Lorraine,glad it went well ❤️ I wish there was a "thanks" button on here your comment was great to hear this morning, Feeling FooFoo,you're doing well,don't think too far ahead just think of today,I often think I sabotage myself being scared if I can stay sober during certain events so I end up drinking earlier than the event I'm scared of,the whole thing is a mindgame that's for sure,Donimfp I'm sorry about your A/C that really sucks! Also sorry that your doc didn't seem to grasp that the tinitus is bugging you as bad as it is,ugh doctor's just don't listen sometimes! Waves to all and wishes for a happy and healthy AF day 💗
  • whitpauly
    Checking in again this week. 115 days free from alcohol. I'm still vaping THC which defeats my urge to drink. I have been doing it once a week every Friday. Today just so happens to be Friday, so I'm going to do it again most likely tonight, unless I otherwise change my mind. This routine is working out pretty well I'd say so far.

I don't think there's anything wrong with this,as I've stated before I think this is waaaaay safer on the body than alcohol 💁
  • lorrainequiche59
    People mag is highlighting Kelly Obsourne's 2 year anniversary of her sobriety today. The blurb said she put a pic of her 12 steps app on instagram and thanked all those who supported her through her journey and she expressed her gratitude for how much her life has changed in the past 2 years. She ended by saying, "If you are new to sobriety stick to it, life really does get good."

SO, that led me to think about how we "stick to it." It is more than the "desire" to be AF, it requires that we look at others who are sticking to it and follow their example, and get the help we need. For Kelly O, it was obviously AA & surrounding herself with supportive people who would help her to follow through with her desire to be AF. Perhaps AA isn't something we want to try, but we will never know unless we do. I'm not promoting AA by any means...I've been to 2 meetings so far so I'm definitely not the poster-child for AA. But the reason I even considered "trying" it is because of the example of others here and although my immediate thought was, "I don't think that's for me," I changed my mind when I hit a really tough spot & decided, "it doesn't hurt to try!!" And so, I'm trying something I never would have considered and that would be my encouragement to others who are struggling..get some help...try something new rather than depending on your own resolve. If we continue to be open to trying different resources, we will eventually find what does work for us.There is a ton of help in varying forms and we just need to reach out and try.

Happy, healthy AF day <3

PS - I hope others will share what has helped them in their fight to be AF even if you've said it before, reminders are always good.
  • RubyRed427
    Facing my anxiety now without alcohol as a crutch, is a powerful & proud feeling.

It’s a toss up for me - drinking causes anxiety for me - my body gets a weird anxious vibe the day after. Maybe meditation could help you with your anxiety. Or even a short term fix like an anti anxiety pill you could take as needed. Wishing you the best 😉