Apple cider vinegar

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Terytha wrote: »
    So far, it's the best fly trap I've ever had. After just a few hours, hundreds of dead fruit flies. Very effective. Very gross. Appetite successfully killed. D:

Dumb question, but how do you use it for this? Do you set out a bowl and they all rush in or something?
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    So far, it's the best fly trap I've ever had. After just a few hours, hundreds of dead fruit flies. Very effective. Very gross. Appetite successfully killed. D:

Dumb question, but how do you use it for this? Do you set out a bowl and they all rush in or something?

More or less. They LOVE it. So I set out a little tupperware with some ACV and a drop of dish soap, cover it in plastic wrap, poke a couple holes and watch as they swarm in, get stuck, then drown.

Red wine vinegar (my preferred cooking vinegar) works pretty well also.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member

Yes! It's even more effective with a drop of soap. It's not my favorite use (using it in cooking is preferable), but it' works really well for catching and killing fruit flies.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member

More or less. They LOVE it. So I set out a little tupperware with some ACV and a drop of dish soap, cover it in plastic wrap, poke a couple holes and watch as they swarm in, get stuck, then drown.

You watch them drown? That's just mean. 😂
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member

Cool. I may try this next time I notice some fruit flies.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    The smell of ACV would definitely be the lesser of two evils. ;) Glad it helped! :)
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    edited August 2019
    Isn't the kind of ACV with the "mother" supposed to be a source of probiotics? That's about the only actual health benefit I know of.
    It works well to keep your apples from browning after you cut them! And since it's apple based, it doesn't make your apples taste different.
    I've also used it in my shampoo to clear product buildup and dandruff. Works really well for that!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    I JUST discovered an awesome use for ACV. My dog got skunked last week. Direct shot, up close and personal. When the smell hit me as she walked back through the door, I couldn't even identify it as skunk it was so strong--eyes burning, trying not to puke--strong.

Into the tub with her and somewhere in my brain I remembered reading that skunk stuff was an oil, so decided to give vinegar a try since it is a magnificent oil/grease cutter. I cut it 50% with water and bathed her in it (used almost half a gallon of ACV, lol!) It worked!

BUT my house still stank something fierce. So I boiled the ACV on the stove for awhile and that helped a lot, though it took a few sessions.

Sorry nothing to do with weight loss, but I was just amazed at how well it deskunked. :smiley:

A mixture of almond extract and water sprayed on the fur helps too. Whatever you use, make sure you use it on dry fur for the most effective treatment.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    I JUST discovered an awesome use for ACV. My dog got skunked last week. Direct shot, up close and personal. When the smell hit me as she walked back through the door, I couldn't even identify it as skunk it was so strong--eyes burning, trying not to puke--strong.

Into the tub with her and somewhere in my brain I remembered reading that skunk stuff was an oil, so decided to give vinegar a try since it is a magnificent oil/grease cutter. I cut it 50% with water and bathed her in it (used almost half a gallon of ACV, lol!) It worked!

BUT my house still stank something fierce. So I boiled the ACV on the stove for awhile and that helped a lot, though it took a few sessions.

Sorry nothing to do with weight loss, but I was just amazed at how well it deskunked. :smiley:

Yes, I keep the cheap gallon jugs of ACV around for cleaning. I have chemical sensitivities and the "new fabric smell" on new clothes bothers me. So everything I buy gets soaked in ACV and water for a day or so before getting washed. ACV is indeed great for "offgassing" - glad it worked for you too!

Poor dog, lol.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,972 Member
    Isn't the kind of ACV with the "mother" supposed to be a source of probiotics? That's about the only actual health benefit I know of.
    It works well to keep your apples from browning after you cut them! And since it's apple based, it doesn't make your apples taste different.
    I've also used it in my shampoo to clear product buildup and dandruff. Works really well for that!

Yes, probiotic, specific benefits unclear.

Also some mixed results suggesting it might have a small beneficial effect in cases of digestive acid insufficiency, or in some people on blood sugar level.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member

It is unhealthy for the wallet. I do not know about the rest.

Bragg is one of the most popular brands for the ACV believer but what happens in their production facility... well... it may be best for people not to know and it might take this thread off topic even further than skunks and flies.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Can’t resist! Off to google Bragg’s...secure in the knowledge we don’t have that make in the UK! 😂
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    Can’t resist! Off to google Bragg’s...secure in the knowledge we don’t have that make in the UK! 😂

We do actually. Holland & Barrett, Boots and a bunch of pharmacists sell it.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member

I have to try this ASAP, this past week I have been invaded with those little suckers. I had a house guest who left a bottle of Braggs at my house, now I know what to do with it!
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member

We do actually. Holland & Barrett, Boots and a bunch of pharmacists sell it.

Ahh, never noticed it then! I think I’ve only ever had Aspalls or a supermarket own brand in the house. I’ve just googled it to see what the bottle looks like and I’d have passed over it because it calls itself ‘apple cider vinegar’ and I’m enough of a pedant to dislike seeing that! If it’s CIDER vinegar what else am I going to think it’s made from! 🙄

I do realise that it’s just what Americans call any cider product, but I did say I’m being pedantic 😂
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Do you think fly bodies dilute vinegar?

I only ask because I think my trap is more fly than vinegar and I'm worried it's not drawing them in like it used to.

But I'm too disgusted to empty it. :(

Fruit flies are the worst.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,972 Member
    Do you think fly bodies dilute vinegar?

I only ask because I think my trap is more fly than vinegar and I'm worried it's not drawing them in like it used to.

But I'm too disgusted to empty it. :(

Fruit flies are the worst.

I see that you haven't had a brown marmorated stink bug invasion at your house yet. And may you never. (ACV holds no power over them. A desk lamp over a tub with an inch or two of slightly-dishsoaped water in it is about the best. Slightly dishsoaped water is no sensible aid to weight loss, either, but I guess it would count as a cleanse if you consumed it.)