Am I really committing a crime against humanity?

Options

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    LOL at some of the people in this thread insisting to OP that she somehow needs to learn to eat sweets and junk food in moderation in order to be healthy and normal (even though she says it's easier to stay on track if she avoids them.) These people sound like the people OP described in her life. They're saying, "Eat the cake! Eat the cake! It won't hurt to take a just a little...(a.k.a. moderation)" But if she doesn't want to eat the cake, why push it on her?

I guess I'm not seeing all the posts telling her to eat cake.

I almost never eat cake because I don't really like it (or at least I'm very picky about it) and also it seems to me a pretty rare thing to be offered. No one cares. (I don't explain that I don't like it or think it's not worth the cals, I just say no thanks. This is more about other foods I don't want since, again, I find cake a rare thing to be offered.)

I do think if she's feeling like it's so, so hard to just say no and is having to explain or justify her choices to everyone that there's something more going on. I am kind of wondering if she's arguing that she cannot eat these foods because they are BAD or unhealthy or whatever and then people are getting defensive and saying "once in a while is okay" or the like. The comment arguing with someone about pie being processed made me wonder about that.

No thanks or "no thanks, I just don't feel good when I eat [whatever], just a personal thing" if you want to explain should be sufficient.

Yes, that stood out for me, too.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity are you underweight or at the low end of a healthy BMI?

No, she said in her OP that she is in an overweight BMI.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options

In order to maintain a relationship with my mother, I have made an effort to do new things with her that don’t involve food, such as seeing movies. We took a road trip to see the house where she grew up. We talk a lot on the phone instead of sitting at restaurants. I went with her to a dance contest and a horse show. It took a while, but I believe our relationship is actually bettter than it was when all we did was eat. And lately instead of insulting me she has been bragging about me and complimenting me.

Yes, I've had to do this too. I have drifted away from some friends over the years because all we would ever do together is go out to eat or drink.

When I would ever suggest something besides going out to eat or something active, they weren't interested. I am all for indulging once in awhile, but not every single time you want to get together. I wanted to do things with them like go for a walk, bike ride, kayaking, shopping, yoga, craft shows, etc, but they didn't want to. It was a shame to lose those friends, but I've gotten closer to other friends and made new ones.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity are you underweight or at the low end of a healthy BMI?

No, she said in her OP that she is in an overweight BMI.

Ohhh, sorry I missed that. I only ask because I've noticed that sometimes people act like that in excess if the person is underweight or bottom of a healthy BMI.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    If one has a broad understanding of 'processed' food as being altered from its original form, with additives, then I can see how pie could be considered in that category when compared to a piece of fresh fruit.

Pie is fruit, rendered down, with a lot of added sugar, flour, shortening... plus chemical preservatives if it's made commercially so it can sit on the store shelf for a week or so.

If someone has a preference for eating fresh fruit in its original form instead of as pie, I really don't see a problem with that.