Spices, spicey seasonings: what's your favorite?

13»

Replies

• slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Dried chilli flakes or Thai green curry paste
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I like Sriracha sauce and "slap ya mama" seasoning.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    I like making my own spice mixes.

Favorite current is:
    cardamom, ginger, tumeric, allspice, curry powder. (If I want to add a kick: cayenne or red pepper flakes).

Baked chicken in this mix makes the house smell amazing!!!

Or add dried apricots and raisins with these spices to rice!
  • Veilleux311
    Veilleux311 Posts: 27 Member
    I am a Trader Joe's spice and seasoning aisle stalker. I use their Everything But the Bagel, 21 Seasoning Salute, South African Smoke Seasoning and Chile Lime Seasoning Blend all the time. Plus the items are cheap and they have quite few to choose from.

We only have 1 Trader Joe's store in our state and I love their quality. They need to build one closer to our region but the items/prices you mention would be worth checking out the next time we're in that area. It's a 1.5 hour drive to reach the TJ store up here..
  • Veilleux311
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    I have a ton of spices in my cupboard.

Besides garlic and onion, I use a ton of turmeric, paprika, sumac, and red pepper flakes.

I also put hot sauce on many things.

Sumac is something I've never tried. Thank you for the advice!
  • Veilleux311
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Lately, gochujang chile paste. Sometimes I mix it with peanut butter powder and rice vinegar to make a calorie-manageable hot peanut sauce.

Pickapeppa sauce is also good (Jamaican, with the kind of flavor profile you'd expect, spicy, sweet, sour, and has notes of fruit, ginger, cloves, etc., as well as being spicy (there's an extra hot version, too)).

Hot yuzu sauces are tasty, too. (Yuzu is a sour citrus fruit. There are various sauces made with it, including ponzu; like many asian condiments, ponzu has fish ingredients, but not all yuzu sauces do. Trader Joe's has a hot yuzu sauce with just vinegar, yuzu, chili pepper and salt).

Hot spices burn no/negligible extra calories, but they're yummy and add variety to foods, so why not?

Reading all of these choices sounds amazing!! My weakness is peanut butter and after reading your idea of mixing peanut butter powder with that paste and rice vinegar, it's certainly peaked my interest. Thank you very much for sharing!
  • Veilleux311
    Huge fan of smoked paprika. My husband found smoked pepercorns that we grind fresh, which is amazing. A sweet-tasting spice that compliments spicy food really well is Amchur, it’s basically a dried mango powder. Also, never underestimate cinnamon, it's more than just desserts.

Smoked peppercorns sounds awesome! Definitely gonna try it. Thank you for sharing! I agree with the smoked paprika, I like using it as part of the coating when baking hot buffalo cauliflower bites. Yum!
  • Veilleux311
    In a soup or a chili I like to layer - paprika, cayenne, pepper flakes.

YUM!!
  • Veilleux311
    acpgee wrote: »
    Harissa and maple syrup roast carrots is a favourite of mine.

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/harissa-and-maple-roasted-carrots

Ooooh! I love maple syrup anything.....but on roast carrots? Sounds delicious! Thank you for sharing!
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    I am a Trader Joe's spice and seasoning aisle stalker. I use their Everything But the Bagel, 21 Seasoning Salute, South African Smoke Seasoning and Chile Lime Seasoning Blend all the time. Plus the items are cheap and they have quite few to choose from.

Me too!!! I love 21 Seasoning Salute, Chili Lime, and the Umami. I haven't tried the African Smoke, I will look for that one next time.

I currently drive 2 hours to Trader Joe's and stock up once a month!! Worth the drive!!
  • Roza42
    Roza42 Posts: 246 Member
    Trader Ming's Dragon Sauce!! Think green jalapeno based. yummy!!
    Berbere spice mixes - it's an Ethiopian spice mix
    ground chipotle and yellow powdered curry mix, best on popcorn
    a can of chipotle in adobe sauce blended with a jar of no sugar added apricot preserves - use like bbq sauce

We only have 1 Trader Joe's store in our state and I love their quality. They need to build one closer to our region but the items/prices you mention would be worth checking out the next time we're in that area. It's a 1.5 hour drive to reach the TJ store up here..

• Veilleux311
    Roza42 wrote: »
    Trader Ming's Dragon Sauce!! Think green jalapeno based. yummy!!
    Berbere spice mixes - it's an Ethiopian spice mix
    ground chipotle and yellow powdered curry mix, best on popcorn
    a can of chipotle in adobe sauce blended with a jar of no sugar added apricot preserves - use like bbq sauce

I'll have to try your idea for popcorn and your bbq sauce idea sounds amazing, thank you for sharing!
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    edited August 2019
    I am kind of boring, I guess. I am all about the salt and fresh ground pepper.

In terms of jarred spices, I'd say I go through cumin the fastest. Also curry powder and Tony Chachere's. I like TJ's Everything But the Bagel, but I have a hard time figuring out what to add it to!

As for spicy, I am also boring, because Frank's Red Hot is my jam. I've tried lots of other hot sauces, but this one is just hot enough for me. Although, I do keep a jar of Cholula on my desk at work. :*

ETA: I find smoked paprika to be so strong! I bought a jar for a chili recipe a few years ago and the smoke was all I could taste. Maybe I'm not using it correctly?
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,708 Member
    Madras Curry, Fiesta seasoning, Paprika and Chives, Parsley and Rosemary. My coworker gave me a Rosemary Garlic sea salt for my birthday thats fantastic!. My manager introduced me to Trader Joes Umami seasoning too. I use Steinbachers broth mix for seasoning too.
    I have an advantage because I have a sodium deficiency so doctors want me to have 2 Tablespoons a day!
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    A local store sells Jalapeno salt and lime pepper. I use both to make a yummy chicken. I also love Penzy's smoked paprika and smoky seasoned salt. Grace brand jerk seasoning is great. I ditto the smoked peppercorns ... I am a spice junkie and will try just about anything once. My spice cabinet (not rack, cabinet) is full! I will make my own meat rub and taco seasoning as well as use Emeril's recipe to make my own Cajun blend.