WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2019

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,433 Member
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Barbara: Thanks for your kind words. Monday we’ll be in touch with our primary doctor and see what comes next for DH.

Pip: We’ve often said that we would like to be up there and cheer on you and everyone else who rides for the MS ride, but DH simply hasn’t been feeling good enough for us to follow through. I have hopes that this planned surgery actually resolves his backpain issues. The backpain is not caused by MS. It is caused by arthritis, which is also an autoimmune disease. His MS is under excellent control thanks to a great doctor and good medicine. You and others who ride have helped bring MS into the spotlight and support development of good medicines that help sufferers feel better. THANK YOU!!!!! :heart:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

there will be more years. kirby says that after we retire and move to California, that we will probably drive down with the bikes and airstream to continue riding when we're not here anymore. thanks for your continued support. I know you're cheering for us
  • pipcd34
    1cuxy6mc0odm.jpeg
    zju2dfmb61r6.jpeg
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    B)
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 17,929 Member
    ☘️
  • pipcd34
    k1uvmw1bceuc.jpeg
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    68547cwg98wmzcn.gif
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,310 Member
    Rode the recumbent bike. The plan for tomorrow is to do one segment of 10MS Slim and Sculpt Pilates DVD then take the extremepump class.

NYKaren – we used to live in the Poconos (for probably about 12 years). Trust me, when you live there, you get to know all the backroads. Yes, they do get a lot of snow. BUT…they also know how to take care of it. Where we lived certainly wasn’t remote. I guess a lot depends on the area.

Barbara – I’m sure that a nearby soup kitchen would more than welcome Jake’s bread. Here we usually serve anywhere around 100 so if he made a few loaves, they could probably serve it with the lunch. Our soup kitchen just started using real silverware (not disposable plastic). That’s in keeping with their aim. They aren’t like many soup kitchens where it’s an assembly line. The people come in, sit at a table/booth and are served. Makes them feel better about themselves.

Welcome everyone new and those returning.

Carol – really, there wasn’t that much leftover food. I froze the hamburgers and hot dogs, I’ll freeze the buns, probably give Jess and Colby the cheese snacks, Vince will eat the pretzels, chocolate chip cookies and he and/or myself will eat the pineapple/angel food cake. Really, there isn’t anything else. I bought a gallon of ice tea which didn’t get opened so I’ll return it to the store. So sorry about BIL

Allie – so glad you had such a wonderful weekend

Watched a movie today while I was on the recumbent bike. I was surprised how fast the time went. The only problem seemed to be that at times I got so involved in the movie I wasn’t going as fast as I should have.

Lisa – I hate crepe myrtles. Someone planted one by the house and it seems to be so hard to get rid of. Shoots even now a few years later keep coming up. I’d like a Bradford Pear but where it would be wouldn’t be a good place for it, too windy.

Drkatie – I used to do frozen banana and cocoa. Or silken tofu and cocoa with a bit of honey for sweetener

Rebecca – the way I shop is first I decide what we’re going to have for dinner the next week. Then I buy the items that are needed that I don’t have. I also maintain a shopping list of things we need (like ranch dressing, croutons, etc, that sort of thing – not meats). I try to go to the food stores that have things on sale that we either will use (like ice cream for Vince) or need. After the food is cooked, I portion it out into small containers for one meal and freeze them. So the following week I usually only have to make one or two main dishes. Like this week I only have to make pork chops. Monday Jess and Vince are having the lift over rib eye we had Friday when Ken & Lynette were here and I’ll have a stuffed clam, Tuesday Jess and I will go out since Vince has shooting, Wednesday we’re having leftover meatloaf, Vince has to grill the pork chops for Thursday, Friday I’ll have miso soup with shirataki noodles, Saturday I’ll have a stuffed crab (or is it a crab cake? Leftover) and the same thing Sunday. So I only had to buy pork chops.

Michele in NC
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,786 Member
    :)
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,304 Member
    A bit wiped out today. Think the heat yesterday got to me more than I realized. Did get car washed and waxed, some ironing done, meals prepped, but did a lot of resting in between. Ready to start the work week. Will be busy. Have another children's event Wednesday evening (smaller than the last). Mentioned at church that we ran out of kids' shoes and Pastor is giving some from our shoe ministry (the person who ran that when we have food pantry moved to another city for a job). So, I guess Wednesday I get to hand out shoes. We also have back packs for the kids and prize drawings. These are the fun parts of my job.

Glad everyone made it through the weekend safely.

Ginny in Ohio
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,878 Member
    <3
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,618 Member
    Hi Gals,

Lanette – with the situation with my brother, I have done an list with phone numbers (me, mom, vet, all the folks that get the list), dog food amounts, dog’s basic schedule, how to get a key to the house. And a few other random things. Called it emergency list and printed it out for folks.

Carol – great news that surgery went ok.

Allie – listen to Beth – Beth very well put! I would add to looking into community centers also looking into Senior centers for classes on Microsoft office, those skills can add to how much you can earn per hour quickly.

Heather – take care, the extra exercise has food and hydration that you need to consider. Have fun with the kiddos

Rori – sending good thoughts.

Barbie – I think I’d figure out how to be too busy or just meet in a public place Starbucks? For a cup of tea….

Janetr – that is an amazing transformation

Barbara – a light blue house with dark blue trim sound really nice to me!

Finally back to my routine, starting tomorrow. My mom came to visit on Thursday for my birthday and ended up staying till today as there was a plumbing problem at her house and no water for 24 hours. An extra day of company, actually it was fine, sometimes she is a pain and sometimes not, this was a good visit. Yeah!!! I tried hard to make good – or at least ok choices food wise while she was here and had some good and some not so good moments. I’ll get on the scale in a couple of days and see how things are. I find it easier to do food when I am in my routine.

I totally understand not wanting to think about it all the time, and will admit having 2 breakfasts I like and being able to pick one or the other help almost everyday start off ok. I wish I was more like Barbie with a set selection, but I am not, I love to cook so lunch and dinner is more of a creative enterprise. But there are some “tricks” that have helped even the worst of days. No sandwich has a top – is one of my favorite… as usually my down fall is lunch as I am in too much of a hurry. And I just have not yet found something I can eat, drive, and like except a 1 bread sandwich.

Kim from N. California
  • TerriRichardson112
    Good morning all.
    Rebecca: I have thriftiness running through my veins from when I was a kid. It's a hard habit to break.
    Michelle: I developed a system for shopping when I was first teaching and my family were young. It works well so we just continue with it.

I have a printed tick list with all our regular purchases, organised in the order of the layout of the store we use. There are spaces to add extras. I keep the old ones for a few months, and regularly review the list and add/remove items when necessary. We eat very similar meals each week, and both have a favourite set breakfast, and generally shop together. Having the list, means that I don't have to constantly think about what I'm going to eat. With the list, if one of us has an engagement, the other can go off alone and do the shop. We buy a lot of fresh produce and tend to cook for every meal. We share the cooking.

At the moment we are eating our own courgettes, green beans, cucumbers, tomatoes, and lettuces. I also have fresh herbs and peppers growing.

This morning, I plan to do some organising in the hobbies room, and after lunch we have our Dancing Group. We are hosting the U3A+ members of our charity for afternoon tea next Monday, and we want to make sure we haven't forgotten the dances over the weekend. U3A+ members are those who are now too old/infirm to attend U3A group meetings. U3A (University of the Third Age) is a lifelong learning charity in which DH and I are involved. Regular Activities normally follow the academic calendar from September to June.

☘️ Terri
  • TerriRichardson112
    Good morning all.
    Rebecca: I have thriftiness running through my veins from when I was a kid. It's a hard habit to break.
    Michelle: I developed a system for shopping when I was first teaching and my family were young. It works well so we just continue with it.

I have a printed tick list with all our regular purchases, organised in the order of the layout of the store we use. There are spaces to add extras. I keep the old ones for a few months, and regularly review the list and add/remove items when necessary. We eat very similar meals each week, and both have a favourite set breakfast, and generally shop together. Having the list, means that I don't have to constantly think about what I'm going to eat. With the list, if one of us has an engagement, the other can go off alone and do the shop. We buy a lot of fresh produce and tend to cook for every meal. We share the cooking.

At the moment we are eating our own courgettes, green beans, cucumbers, tomatoes, and lettuces. I also have fresh herbs and peppers growing.

This morning, I plan to do some organising in the hobbies room, and after lunch we have our Dancing Group. We are hosting the U3A+ members of our charity for afternoon tea next Monday, and we want to make sure we haven't forgotten the dances over the weekend. U3A+ members are those who are now too old/infirm to attend U3A group meetings. U3A (University of the Third Age) is a lifelong learning charity in which DH and I are involved. Regular Activities normally follow the academic calendar from September to June.

☘️ Terri
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    edited August 2019
    My shopping system is to get comfy in my chair in front of my computer and open the grocery store website. :)

I start with Fruit & Veg because it's the first tab, and work my way through the tabs. I order basically the same stuff each week, so I could probably save it and it would all happen automatically, but I actually like looking at things, and occasionally there's something interesting we haven't tried.

So with that ... I'm going to do what I've just said because I'd like our order to arrive tomorrow.

Oops ... missed it. Groceries will be arriving on Wednesday. And I did order something we haven't tried. :)

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    exermom wrote: »
    the way I shop is first I decide what we’re going to have for dinner the next week. Then I buy the items that are needed that I don’t have. I also maintain a shopping list of things we need (like ranch dressing, croutons, etc, that sort of thing – not meats). I try to go to the food stores that have things on sale that we either will use (like ice cream for Vince) or need. After the food is cooked, I portion it out into small containers for one meal and freeze them. So the following week I usually only have to make one or two main dishes. Like this week I only have to make pork chops. Monday Jess and Vince are having the lift over rib eye we had Friday when Ken & Lynette were here and I’ll have a stuffed clam, Tuesday Jess and I will go out since Vince has shooting, Wednesday we’re having leftover meatloaf, Vince has to grill the pork chops for Thursday, Friday I’ll have miso soup with shirataki noodles, Saturday I’ll have a stuffed crab (or is it a crab cake? Leftover) and the same thing Sunday. So I only had to buy pork chops.

Michele in NC

My mother shops and meal plans that way too ... all about the meat! I get a bit of a chuckle out of it. :)

If I were describing a week's meals, I'd probably describe the main part and best part of the meal ... the veggies! :grin: We eat such a small amount of meat it's hardly worth mentioning.

Tonight (Monday) we had a mountain of veggies to which my husband added some left over black beans. As a side we had a bit of pasta with a touch of mince.

We'll have something similar tomorrow ... or if not, it'll be a soup thickened with veggies, rice, and a bit of shredded chicken.

Yummo!

Machka in Oz