Fats Nutrition calculation

Hi,

Im pretty new to this app and loving the insights its giving me but I am so confused about the Fat info on the Nutrition page. Its the area Im struggling to control so would love to fully understand the calculation.

My goals are as follows:
Fat: 63
Sat Fat: 22
Polyunsat:0
Monounsat:0
Trans:0

So firstly, why dont the 4 types of fat add up to the main Fat calculation?

Second, why is there a 0 for Mono and Polyunsats when they are the good ones while Sat gets 22.

Any help would be appreciated ;)
Thanks,
Jo

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,816 Member
    They are at zero because there is no set limit for them. You can customize a limit if you choose, but there is no reason to have one if you don't need one.
  • 111JoGo111
    111JoGo111 Posts: 3 Member
    MikePTY wrote: »
    They are at zero because there is no set limit for them. You can customize a limit if you choose, but there is no reason to have one if you don't need one.

Hi, thanks for replying. I kinda thought that might be the case for mono and polyunsats but Trans too? I thought that they were mono/polys that had been manipulated into sat fats through processing and so were also to be restricted. Why are they at zero too?
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,816 Member
    Although there are some maturally occurring trans fat in meat that are not supposed to have the same negative effect as artificial trans fat.

I think a t the end of the day, those goals are all zero because there is no clear guidelines for them, except to get as much of your fat from poly and mono as you can, and avoid articifical trans fat
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    edited August 2019
    So, those numbers, 63 and 22...they aren't supposed to equal 100. Those are 63 grams and 22 grams respectively, for a total of 85 grams of fat as a daily goal..

That may be part of the confusion?
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    Basically, 63 g is your total fat. It's recommending that you don't eat any transfat (other than naturally occurring, which probably won't show up in an entry), that you don't eat more than 22 g sat fat, and otherwise eat whatever fat you want. The mono and poly should be N/A, it's a known bug that hasn't been fixed.

There's probably no need to micromanage fat unless you have a specific reason. I don't worry about my total fat (it's usually around 30% of my diet just naturally), but I do avoid excess sat fat and try to get a good omega 3 to omega 6 ratio by eating fatty fish and some nuts and seeds and not getting a lot of added fat from ultra processed foods (which I don't tend to eat a lot of anyway). I don't really track it, although I might look at sat fat occasionally to make sure I'm not fooling myself and eating more than I think.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    Oh, yeah, oops, you're so right lemur.

63 total fat/ subcategory 22 Sat.

I don't look at sat/poly/mono, and my fats tend to fall in the 80-90 range because that's how I like to eat, but my Goal on the FOOD page is actually 57 grams.

I just don't pay attention, apparently. More coffee...
  • 111JoGo111
    111JoGo111 Posts: 3 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Basically, 63 g is your total fat. It's recommending that you don't eat any transfat (other than naturally occurring, which probably won't show up in an entry), that you don't eat more than 22 g sat fat, and otherwise eat whatever fat you want. The mono and poly should be N/A, it's a known bug that hasn't been fixed.

There's probably no need to micromanage fat unless you have a specific reason. I don't worry about my total fat (it's usually around 30% of my diet just naturally), but I do avoid excess sat fat and try to get a good omega 3 to omega 6 ratio by eating fatty fish and some nuts and seeds and not getting a lot of added fat from ultra processed foods (which I don't tend to eat a lot of anyway). I don't really track it, although I might look at sat fat occasionally to make sure I'm not fooling myself and eating more than I think.

Ok. Thanks! This makes some sense to me. The N/A making would make it clearer!

I'm looking at my fat intake as in general I eat pretty healthily and am quite active but have always carried a bit of weight all my life. My calories are normally always under the allowed count but I have noticed, thanks to this app, that my fat is always just over and sometimes alot over! :/ I think it may be why I struggle to loose weight. I have realised that Im just that bit generous with nut butters and the like. I am trying to learn a little about the subject so I can get a hold of it.

Thanks so much for you help ;)

Jo

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    111JoGo111 wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

Ok. Thanks! This makes some sense to me. The N/A making would make it clearer!

I'm looking at my fat intake as in general I eat pretty healthily and am quite active but have always carried a bit of weight all my life. My calories are normally always under the allowed count but I have noticed, thanks to this app, that my fat is always just over and sometimes alot over! :/ I think it may be why I struggle to loose weight. I have realised that Im just that bit generous with nut butters and the like. I am trying to learn a little about the subject so I can get a hold of it.

Thanks so much for you help ;)

Jo

FWIW - Fat does not make you fat (neither do carbs or protein). It is the total calories that makes us gain weight. It doesn't matter how we get there, if we want to lose or maintain our weight we have to watch the total input and output. My guess is you are underestimating your intake, overestimating your calories burned, or, your daily allowance is incorrect.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    edited August 2019
    So, those numbers, 63 and 22...they aren't supposed to equal 100. Those are 63 grams and 22 grams respectively, for a total of 85 grams of fat as a daily goal..

That may be part of the confusion?

I believe you are misinterpreting that. 63 g of fat is a recommendation for total fat. 22 g is a recommended maximum for saturated fat, which is part of total fat. It's not in addition to total fat. (I'm not arguing for or against the particular numbers the OP was given. Just trying to clarify what they mean.)

ETA: never mind. I see it was addressed above.