Less Alcohol - AUGUST 2019 - One Day at a Time

Replies

• beebva4
    beebva4 Posts: 130 Member
    Drinking started early today. Ugh. Bad day led to my husband starting early and I sadly hopped on the wagon. Why is it so hard to do something when your spouse does the opposite? Why is it hard to just do your own thing! I really need to work on that. I guess I have to find a way to limit myself and do it for ME.

I'm so proud of everyone who is pulling in those AF days! Like @dawnbgethealthy and @WinoGelato! Your two most recent posts are the ones I saw, but you are both so encouraging to me!
  • beebva4
    beebva4 Posts: 130 Member
    Brush Lake is officially BEAUTIFUL.

Day nine, no wine.

Re-reading my collection of late 1800's E.D.E.N. Southworth novels...back then if a lady drank more than a sip of elderberry wine [to cure "the vapors"], she was ostracized. But sloshing down large quantities of Lydia Pinkham's 18% alcohol tonic was quite fine....

Sun's out, time to cruise my hills on the riding mower, Diet Dew in the beer holder. B)

Great job! Sounds like a lovely weekend! Seeing all of everyone's AF makes me realize I am missing out on the great AF adventures 😁
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,532 Member
    sasful78 wrote: »
    Just found this page and I'm in need of this. I feel awful today and ashamed! A drink a day sometimes more than 3!!!!! It's gotten out if hand, a boredom, emotional crutch.
    Looking at this positive group as a way to be open and start a fresh.
    So each week I'll do a AF or number for each date.
    That's the idea yes?
    I am starting later here but better late then never I suppose. Wine is my crutch I drink one to two glasses a day and am only AF once or twice a week. I would like to take that to 3-4 AF days a week and eventually AF all week days and only have one or two on the weekends. I have a stressful job and am self medicating. I would rather self medicate with exercise and actually feel better. Does anyone have a tip for the cravings? I used to smoke- for 15 years I smoked a pack a day. I quit 13 years ago cold turkey and it was oddly easy because I had actually convinced myself that it just had to happen, so it did. I’m trying to get to the same place with Wine but I love wine so it is more difficult.

8/7 - 1 glass of wine had it yesterday need a detox
    8/8 - AF (goal)
    8/9 - AF (goal)

AF cheers to all of you on here for sharing, it makes it easier to not be alone in this!
    WELCOME @rilmarie999 and @sasful78 thanks for joining our group. If you have not already, take a look at page one of this thread. It has lots of helpful information and can be referred back to when you are in need of a little extra support.
    Go at your own pace to suit your own goals for less alcohol in your life.
    Nice to have you both with all of us.
  • AbandondedKSCharger
    AbandondedKSCharger Posts: 562 Member
    Good Morning,
    I took a little time this morning to read through a few posts. I find myself anxious at work that someone will see the "Less Alcohol" at the top. Don't need them to see that!
    So my attempt Saturday to go AF was not successful. I was a bit foggy from Friday, which made it easier to not want anything. I did good until we got out on the boat. I had two of my favorite non-alcohol drinks with me, a diet pepsi, and a couple of beers "just in case". That should have been my warning flag. We invited our neighbors to join us for taking such good care of our dogs while we were on vacation. I passed on the first round, but not on the second.
    I am back to thinking about it more like I use to so I know I will get back there, but currently don't feel the energy to make the attempts.
    Please keep sharing your stories. I really get so much from it.
    Have a great Monday!
    Teri
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,515 Member
    I am going to strive for the same as usual, 4-5 AF days per week. I will post daily to keep me accountable.
    I was pleased with my 20 AF days for July.

August 01 - AF - I didn't want to be, but have to start the month off right. Many things planned for the weekend and there will be drinks involved. I will have to be strategic so that I don't have drinks 2 days in a row.
    August 02 - AF - Again, didn't want to be. It is a long weekend with lots going on here in British Columbia. I want to not look terrible tomorrow, so no booze for me tonight.
    August 03 - 3 drinks.
    August 04 - AF
    August 05 - AF - Going away Wednesday or Thursday for 5 or 6 days to a riverfront bluesfest in Montana, where the drinks are so much cheaper than Canada and I will have no responsibilities. I may have drinks, but will try to not have them 2 days in a row. Planning AF for tomorrow.
    August 06 - 2 1/2 drinks. Kind of different that I couldn't finish my 3rd drink, I put it in the freezer. Tuesdays are the days that I sort of have scheduled to have a few drinks if I want them. Not sure what I was thinking when I said that I planned AF for a Tuesday. All good.
    August 07 - AF
    August 08 - 2 drinks (8oz red wine). It was lovely after a fantastic active day.
    August 09 - 1 beer, 1 wine at the festival
    August 10 - 2 wine
    August 11 - 3 drinks - so much for not doing 2 days in a row. I will get back on track.

5AF days out of 11 days so far.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,193 Member
    beebva4 wrote: »
    Drinking started early today. Ugh. Bad day led to my husband starting early and I sadly hopped on the wagon. Why is it so hard to do something when your spouse does the opposite? Why is it hard to just do your own thing! I really need to work on that. I guess I have to find a way to limit myself and do it for ME.

I'm so proud of everyone who is pulling in those AF days! Like @dawnbgethealthy and @WinoGelato! Your two most recent posts are the ones I saw, but you are both so encouraging to me!

I'm the same start off with self control the husband offers me a drink and cave in, I need to be stronger especially late at night.
  • MissMay
    annliz23 wrote: »
    Going to give this a try as I need to cut down to improve my life, husband is a drinker and not very supportive but I really need to change.so here goes day 1

Hello and welcome to our cozy little group.
    I had the same problem as you when I would want to not drink or cut back. Hubby would say "OHhhhhh you can have one" yeah well that was at our first stop of the night(bar hoppers) then he would repeat the same thing all night which would lead to 5 or more places to hop to and 5 or more drinks in me.

• MissMay
    I am going to strive for the same as usual, 4-5 AF days per week. I will post daily to keep me accountable.

August 01 - AF - I didn't want to be, but have to start the month off right. Many things planned for the weekend and there will be drinks involved. I will have to be strategic so that I don't have drinks 2 days in a row.
    August 02 - AF - Again, didn't want to be. It is a long weekend with lots going on here in British Columbia. I want to not look terrible tomorrow, so no booze for me tonight.
    August 03 - 3 drinks.
    August 04 - AF
    August 05 - AF - Going away Wednesday or Thursday for 5 or 6 days to a riverfront bluesfest in Montana, where the drinks are so much cheaper than Canada and I will have no responsibilities. I may have drinks, but will try to not have them 2 days in a row. Planning AF for tomorrow.
    August 06 - 2 1/2 drinks. Kind of different that I couldn't finish my 3rd drink, I put it in the freezer. Tuesdays are the days that I sort of have scheduled to have a few drinks if I want them. Not sure what I was thinking when I said that I planned AF for a Tuesday. All good.
    August 07 - AF
    August 08 - 2 drinks (8oz red wine). It was lovely after a fantastic active day.
    August 10 - 2 wine
    August 11 - 3 drinks - so much for not doing 2 days in a row. I will get back on track.

5AF days out of 11 days so far.

Monday...new day...new reason to be AF.
  • annliz23
    MissMay wrote: »
    annliz23 wrote: »
    Going to give this a try as I need to cut down to improve my life, husband is a drinker and not very supportive but I really need to change.so here goes day 1

Hello and welcome to our cozy little group.
    I had the same problem as you when I would want to not drink or cut back. Hubby would say "OHhhhhh you can have one" yeah well that was at our first stop of the night(bar hoppers) then he would repeat the same thing all night which would lead to 5 or more places to hop to and 5 or more drinks in me.

We dont go out but he tops up the glass every few hours, as one more went hurt as we are old so should enjoy yourselves but I am only 56 so not over the hill yet.
  • annliz23
    Hello everyone. I am new to MFP and found this amazing thread. I also find that, out of habit and a need to desires, I grab a drink or two each night when I get home. It has caused weight gain over the last year and overall leaves me feeling blah. My goal is to limit my intake to weekends and to stop mindless drinks during the week. I had one beer tonight when I first got home and started cooking dinner so I’ll have to start AF tomorrow! Those amazing crafts will have to wait until Friday.

I had one to so I plan to start again tomorrow let's see if we can do it.
  • MissMay
    Hello everyone. I am new to MFP and found this amazing thread. I also find that, out of habit and a need to desires, I grab a drink or two each night when I get home. It has caused weight gain over the last year and overall leaves me feeling blah. My goal is to limit my intake to weekends and to stop mindless drinks during the week. I had one beer tonight when I first got home and started cooking dinner so I’ll have to start AF tomorrow! Those amazing crafts will have to wait until Friday.

Hi and welcome..
    You will get plenty of accountability here to help break the nightly habit. Good luck on your AF day.
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,515 Member
    edited August 2019

August 03 - 3 drinks.
    August 04 - AF
    August 07 - AF
    August 10 - 2 wine
    August 12 - AF - Back home and of course 3 pounds heavier. For sure I danced and walked lots, so it could have been 6 pounds. Getting on track.

6AF days out of 12 days so far.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member
    Can I join y'all? I like that you call this thread less alcohol as opposed to no alcohol. I need to quit 100%, but I'm not there yet. I am however trying to lose weight, and drinking 1000 calories a day of whiskey isn't going to cut it. I would be thrilled if I could cut back to once a week, at this point. I started my new diet August first, and I believe I have drank 3 times since then, maybe 4? I'm not sure. Anyways, that's still too many.

I'm not totally sure how this thread works? Just come here for moral support? Anyways, hello y'all.

Yep that’s exactly how it works! Now that you’ve posted here you will receive notifications when new posts are made. You can also star threads that you want to follow but aren’t ready to post in.

Many of us read along but don’t chime in that often - but it’s a great place for moral support and judgement free accountability. Each month we will have a new thread that helps keep it fresh for newcomers to find. If you haven’t yet, check out some of the resources on the original post. Lots of great support there regardless of what stage you’re in.

Welcome and good luck!