Trying to get the whole family in shape—resources?

okbuddha
okbuddha Posts: 22 Member
More than one of us needs emotional eating counseling—any pointers on groups for that? I’ll be checking with insurance for individual counseling coverage.

Healthy grocery shopping trips, picking fresh produce this fall, and swapping for less processed ingredients are all on my list. Any other ideas I’ve missed or that anyone can add to this list? Thanks!

Replies

• Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    It's impossible to comment not knowing the situation fully but I'm of the firm belief that you can't make someone change unless they're ready and willing to change. They really have to want it for themselves no matter how much you want it for them.

That's not to say there's nothing you can do but just be cautious as putting pressure on someone to change when they're not ready can have the opposite effect..
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    I’m going to assume you do have all the family on board with this (as in, it’s a group resolution that you all change your lifestyles to improve your health and fitness. As Dan says above you’ll have an uphill battle if it’s not been discussed and agreed between you!

That said, and again, don’t know the dynamic of your family? Children? Ages? Current lifestyle? But how about family walks/hikes, or bike rides, swimming, kayaking or whatever fun activities you have available where you are. Getting you all out and about in the fresh air is as important to your aims as rethinking your shopping and eating habits. Especially for any children! Habits learned now, activities learned now will pay forward for all of you in terms of long term lifestyle changes.

As for food, I would do a little research on nutrition and recipes for healthy versions of food you’re all familiar with (no idea if that’s a lot of takeout meals or it’s ready meals etc) as a start then expand into different dishes once you’re all ok with those changes.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    If you are doing this for health, make sure you are addressing the movement side of things.

Furthermore, this can help with emotional eating, as exercise tends to decrease stress. Moreover, much of our (as humans) "emotional" eating is boredome eating. Fill time with exercise, for the body and the brain.
  • MamboRumba
    MamboRumba Posts: 423 Member
    If you ask your school counselor......then maybe they know some city resources you can use. I only know some for my city.

They tend to be per county as budget allows.

YMCA...I have seen some with cooking/nutrition counseling.

Try calling WIC.
    See if they know of any local outreach programs.

These are the folks that handle community health/public health nutrition services.

Look at local charities.

Search ‘Volunteer opportunities ...+....your city’

Then look up where you can seek help.