Share Your Day

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    merph518 wrote: »
    Yesterday was pretty good day overall.

The high point was going out to lunch with some coworkers and having them bring up my weight loss out of the blue and ask me how I was doing it. Very few people outside of family (who've been told about my efforts outright) have noticed / said anything about it. Always a good feeling when it happens.

Nice.

• NovusDies
    Kind of a lull day for me. Eating is on point but I am feeling some pain today so I will be taking it easy on myself. I kind hate that but pushing myself could mean more limited days and resting could mean I can do more tomorrow. I don't remember spending so much time "managing" myself when I was much younger lol.

When I get to recovery I will have at least 2 weeks of maintenance so I have been making my list and checking it twice of the things I want to eat. Since I will be under I have been told to eat a liquid diet for 2 days following and knowing me my appetite will be iffy for 2 more but after that... time for some grub. As long as I hit my normal protein goal I can eat whatever.
  • NovusDies
    Whoa. I just felt a really old urge and I even grabbed the PB jar and a spoon and had two decent bites before stopping myself. I really wanted to tear into that jar and leave no prisoners.

So it seems I am going to need to hit the pressure relief valve more than I have been. I don't think I am in any danger of having an unstructured overfeed but I don't like what just happened. I didn't even weigh it so I am going to pay a pretty big price for that whether I ate as much as I will log or not.
  • jjlewey
    jjlewey Posts: 248 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Whoa. I just felt a really old urge and I even grabbed the PB jar and a spoon and had two decent bites before stopping myself. I really wanted to tear into that jar and leave no prisoners.

So it seems I am going to need to hit the pressure relief valve more than I have been. I don't think I am in any danger of having an unstructured overfeed but I don't like what just happened. I didn't even weigh it so I am going to pay a pretty big price for that whether I ate as much as I will log or not.

Keep your head up, it's ok, a lot of people when losing weight struggle with binge eating. Sounds like you handled it well. As you have told others, regroup, log your best estimate, move forward.
  • NovusDies
    jjlewey wrote: »

Keep your head up, it's ok, a lot of people when losing weight struggle with binge eating. Sounds like you handled it well. As you have told others, regroup, log your best estimate, move forward.

Thanks buddy. Everything was contained and even with a high estimate I was only 40 calories over my goal so no harm done. I think if you are not disordered you struggle with overfeeding (not sure when to call it a binge) because you are being too strict or not eating enough. I am guilty of a little of both at the moment. This is when I would advise someone to light a controlled fire so that an uncontrolled fire won't happen.

According to my spreadsheet if I was in my lowest weight track I would be 1.1 pounds under the surgery goal the day before surgery. Of course the odds of me being at my lowest weight is not good. The two tracks I frequent the most often still have me .7 and 1.4 over the goal. I am in the .7 one today. Forward projections are not based on how I am eating now they are based on conservative 1k deficit eating 6 days and a 500 deficit on Sunday. Each day I enter my calories it overrides the conservative number and updates all the tracks and predictions. Did I mention I like math and numbers? lol.

If I am in the highest part of my curve I wouldn't make the goal. I can control that a little with eating but not enough to push me to the lowest so I still need more of a buffer.

I am probably going to need a full maintenance day this weekend though and keep working on the buffer as much as I can. I cannot risk going nutso and eating all the foods. This is surgery is too important to my health and quality of life.
  • jjlewey
    Didnt get much sleep today, gotta love third shift. Tomorrow is my 1 month of tracking "this time". I was hoping to be below 400 pounds, but unless I go sit in a sauna for a couple hours and dehydrate it isnt gonna happen. Still lost almost 20lbs in 1 month, I will have exact number tomorrow. Not bad, definitely feel better, clothes fit better, fit in a booth at restaurant. Gotta keep the momentum going.
  • kosseychick
    kosseychick Posts: 244 Member
    Today I was feeling pretty tired as I'm on day 11 of 12 hr shifts at work. However I packed my workout gear and hit the gym on my lunch break. I felt pretty good afterwards and I'm so glad that I didnt talk myself out of going 😊
  • real_change
    real_change Posts: 53 Member
    I’ve been recovering from major surgery for most of this summer. I began walking a little last week. Today I went on a pretty long walk for me (2.5 miles) and it felt amazing. It’s the first time since having the surgery that I can believe I’ll be better off for having it. I’m pretty tired tonight but I’m already excited to go on my walk tomorrow.
  • kosseychick
    kosseychick Posts: 244 Member
    @real_change that's awesome! I always feel amazing after I exercise. When I'm home I go to the pool quite often and love it.
  • NovusDies
    Had my pizza today. Since I dug deep and banked enough calories I can still eat more tomorrow too. I am feeling a bit relaxed and relieved and at least for the moment I am ready to tackle the rest of this hurry-up horribleness.
  • maiomaio71
    maiomaio71 Posts: 231 Member
    Walked 8.2km today. Feeling good about making the distance. Not that fast, but it was more about doing the route I'd planned rather than doing it quickly. Walked off about 350-420 calories depending on which calculation you use, so happy with that, too.
  • jjlewey
    maiomaio71 wrote: »
    Walked 8.2km today. Feeling good about making the distance. Not that fast, but it was more about doing the route I'd planned rather than doing it quickly. Walked off about 350-420 calories depending on which calculation you use, so happy with that, too.

I always wonder how accurate those calculations are myself. I never adjust my calorie intake based upon exercise calculations anyway, but it does interest me, and maybe further down my journey it might be something that I will have to consider.
  • NovusDies
    jjlewey wrote: »
    maiomaio71 wrote: »

I always wonder how accurate those calculations are myself. I never adjust my calorie intake based upon exercise calculations anyway, but it does interest me, and maybe further down my journey it might be something that I will have to consider.

I think some of the higher numbers come from HR monitored activity which from what I have learned at MFP can be inflated. I don't think mine is with my apple watch but I do plan to do the side-by-side MFP to SS comparison in the near future (maybe this week).
  • NovusDies
    I will be up on the scale today. I had restaurant food for lunch both Saturday and Sunday. I had a few more calories, more carbs than normal for me, and higher sodium. It never pleases me when it goes up instead of down but I have learned that I cannot live in fear of upticks because it makes my plan unsustainable. I needed a little more this weekend to help with the stress I am under at the moment. It will go back down in 4 days or so. Small price to pay.

One thing I have learned to tell myself that might help others is that I do not believe when I get to the very end of this weight loss phase I will ever care about the upticks. I don't even care about the normal ones that have happened up to now. The current one is the only one that sucks and I try to keep that down to being disappointed for no more than a minute once the results are seen.

I also do not believe I will care that I could have gotten there faster if I had been more rigid. Experience has taught me that being more rigid never worked so I believe that for me success is dependent on taking my foot off the gas here and there.
  • TwinThompson
    TwinThompson Posts: 80 Member
    I’m making the conscious decision to throw myself off the wagon. I don’t want to, not really, I know I’ll regret it tomorrow, but right now I’m tired, ratty, and I want hot food. It doesn’t help I’m really not feeling too good, I’m anaemic and I’ve just finished my stint of nightshifts.
    I’ve got the rest of the week to undo any damage.
  • NovusDies
    I’m making the conscious decision to throw myself off the wagon. I don’t want to, not really, I know I’ll regret it tomorrow, but right now I’m tired, ratty, and I want hot food. It doesn’t help I’m really not feeling too good, I’m anaemic and I’ve just finished my stint of nightshifts.
    I’ve got the rest of the week to undo any damage.

The wagon mindset is not helpful imo. Try staying within your maintenance calories and there won't be any "damage" to undo. I think it is important to always have a plan because those "I don't give a *kitten*" days can get away from you. Maintenance is as many calories as you physically need and you won't lose or gain weight by eating them so it is just a neutral day.

That is my suggestion but I know you have to do you.

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    I somehow managed to maintain over the last week, despite there being boozy desserts and no moving from the boyfriends sofa on Saturday to have a recovery day from my injury (he literally waited hand and foot on me, whilst I binged on Netflix bless him).

I have been listening to the James Smith podcast recently (if you're not familiar he's a personal trainer who is trying to help push the industry away from the bro-science and encourage better education around calorie deficit/sustainable diet) and one that particularly resonated with me was his podcast on women's weight loss.

Now although it is all about calorie deficit when it comes to weight loss, it's the sustainability part that most of us struggle with and he hits the nail on the head when he talks about the lady-cycle. He experimented with one of his clients by putting her on reduced calories for only 2 weeks of her cycle (I'm not sure but I think it was during her period and during ovulation) after finding that she struggled being in a deficit all month around.

This is something I have struggled with myself and tends to trigger my binge-eating habits when I forget where I am in my cycle. When I am paying attention I tend to try to eat a few more carbs and up my calories for a couple of days the week before my period and a couple of days during ovulation.

So for the remainder of this cycle and next rather than trying to be consistently in a 1 pound per week deficit, I am going to try 2 pounds per week days 1-14 (Period and week following) 0.5 pounds per week/maintenance for days 15-28 (Ovulation/PMS week) and see how that goes.

I have really struggled to find something that works long-term since becoming more active (hiking/rowing/strength training/cycling) and I don't want to go back to being inactive in order to lose weight.

• real_change
    real_change Posts: 53 Member
    I will be up on the scale today. I had restaurant food for lunch both Saturday and Sunday. I had a few more calories, more carbs than normal for me, and higher sodium. It never pleases me when it goes up instead of down but I have learned that I cannot live in fear of upticks because it makes my plan unsustainable. I needed a little more this weekend to help with the stress I am under at the moment. It will go back down in 4 days or so. Small price to pay.

One thing I have learned to tell myself that might help others is that I do not believe when I get to the very end of this weight loss phase I will ever care about the upticks. I don't even care about the normal ones that have happened up to now. The current one is the only one that sucks and I try to keep that down to being disappointed for no more than a minute once the results are seen.

I also do not believe I will care that I could have gotten there faster if I had been more rigid. Experience has taught me that being more rigid never worked so I believe that for me success is dependent on taking my foot off the gas here and there.

@NovusDies I think you are exactly right about rigidity. I told my husband that I know how to lose weight perfectly but I don’t know how to lose it imperfectly. And that is why I always gain it back. I’m also trying to force myself to get over disappointment quickly. If I don’t, I quickly spiral and make it ten times worse than the initial activity. You have been so incredibly successful so far! That’s a huge win focus on during an up time.
  • NovusDies
    I somehow managed to maintain over the last week, despite there being boozy desserts and no moving from the boyfriends sofa on Saturday to have a recovery day from my injury (he literally waited hand and foot on me, whilst I binged on Netflix bless him).

I have been listening to the James Smith podcast recently (if you're not familiar he's a personal trainer who is trying to help push the industry away from the bro-science and encourage better education around calorie deficit/sustainable diet) and one that particularly resonated with me was his podcast on women's weight loss.

Now although it is all about calorie deficit when it comes to weight loss, it's the sustainability part that most of us struggle with and he hits the nail on the head when he talks about the lady-cycle. He experimented with one of his clients by putting her on reduced calories for only 2 weeks of her cycle (I'm not sure but I think it was during her period and during ovulation) after finding that she struggled being in a deficit all month around.

This is something I have struggled with myself and tends to trigger my binge-eating habits when I forget where I am in my cycle. When I am paying attention I tend to try to eat a few more carbs and up my calories for a couple of days the week before my period and a couple of days during ovulation.

So for the remainder of this cycle and next rather than trying to be consistently in a 1 pound per week deficit, I am going to try 2 pounds per week days 1-14 (Period and week following) 0.5 pounds per week/maintenance for days 15-28 (Ovulation/PMS week) and see how that goes.

I have really struggled to find something that works long-term since becoming more active (hiking/rowing/strength training/cycling) and I don't want to go back to being inactive in order to lose weight.

Seems like a smart plan to try and I love that you are fighting and trying a new idea to adapt to your changes. I am very aware that what I do now as a "slightly active" person may not work well for me post-op when I really try to catch up to where I think I should be now. Even though, as a man, this plan doesn't apply to me I am inspired by your willingness to keep pushing yourself.

I also hope your injury is not going to sideline you much longer.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member

Seems like a smart plan to try and I love that you are fighting and trying a new idea to adapt to your changes. I am very aware that what I do now as a "slightly active" person may not work well for me post-op when I really try to catch up to where I think I should be now. Even though, as a man, this plan doesn't apply to me I am inspired by your willingness to keep pushing yourself.

I also hope your injury is not going to sideline you much longer.

Hoping it'll be ok by the end of the week, I probably messed it up by rowing last week when I didn't intend to, but if I left it to the kids I'd probably be floating out to sea now :lol: