Weekly calories.. help!!

I've been on mfp for 8 days and lost 5Ib woop! Today has been a nightmare. I've eaten more than double my calories for today I feel sick and still want to binge 😫 do my question.. I've heard a lot of people weekly count instead of daily. Today's the first day of my week (weigh on sunday) I've been daily counting, before mfp I was using lifesum so been counting around 2 months. Could I work out how many calories I've got left minus my overeat to compensate? So in effect be back on target by the end of the week? Will this work? I just feel rubbish.

Replies

• Beachbod2020
    Beachbod2020 Posts: 20 Member
    For example as I realise I ramble a tad...
    At 1200 daily cal my weekly cal would be 8400. Minus todays (2600) calories would mean I have 5800 calories left spread over the week. So in effect my new daily calorie allowance would be around 970 per day for the rest of the week...
  • Beachbod2020
    Shamelessly answering myself so this stays on top because for some reason it's being read and not responded to and I *really* need some answers 😂
  • Beachbod2020
    I wouldn't go over Its only 6 days. I'm actually normally really disaplined to be honest and 1200 to me is a lot of food so it won't make a massive difference. Just been a bad day!
    I have heard a lot of people on here saying they weekly count so they can endulge at the weekends. Its not something I've really hears of before mfp so didn't know if it works, obviously the body doesn't reset after 24 hours so no reason why it shouldn't I guess.
  • Pearl4686
    Pearl4686 Posts: 918 Member
    Just adding my experience here. I've tried doing that in the past but it always backfired. Ended up really hungry and binging way over. Now I just move on and start fresh the next day.
    The damage will be minimal.
    Backlogging can get very obsessive and unhealthy, besides for the hunger issue.
    Good luck
  • Beachbod2020
    RAinWA wrote: »
    I would just draw a line under today and start fresh tomorrow. It sounds punitive to me to force yourself to eat so little for the next few days.

Look at why you overate today and learn from the experience. What will you do different next time?

And, 1200 is a really low calorie goal for most people. Unless you are very short and very sedentary, it's probably not necessary to eat that little.

I'm 5 foot 2 so quite short and I have an office job so 1200 seems about right to be honest. I don't know why I overate today. Sometimes I get urges where I eat all day long even after I feel sick and uncomfortable. Not just unhealthy food it's anything I can get my hands on. I'll have a day like this every few weeks. It used to be more often but I've taught myself tricks to stop myself. I have no control when I'm like this. I used to be like this for a day then over exercise or not eat at all the following day. Obviously I know that's not healthy so I've retrained my way of thinking and don't do that now I'm doing things the healthy way by calorie counting. Whether that be day by day or week by week.
  • MySlimGoals
    MySlimGoals Posts: 750 Member
    Well, give it a go if you are sure. Use the note pad function in your food diary or the post function to keep track of how you feel each day. That way you can look back at the week and see how sustainable it is. Also, take a look at your nutrition and macros to see that you are getting all the vitamins and minerals you need. You might have to find foods that balance out things if you have a gap somewhere. It looks like you have calories to play around with getting your diet balanced.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    RAinWA wrote: »
    I would just draw a line under today and start fresh tomorrow. It sounds punitive to me to force yourself to eat so little for the next few days.

Look at why you overate today and learn from the experience. What will you do different next time?

And, 1200 is a really low calorie goal for most people. Unless you are very short and very sedentary, it's probably not necessary to eat that little.

I'm 5 foot 2 so quite short and I have an office job so 1200 seems about right to be honest. I don't know why I overate today. Sometimes I get urges where I eat all day long even after I feel sick and uncomfortable. Not just unhealthy food it's anything I can get my hands on. I'll have a day like this every few weeks. It used to be more often but I've taught myself tricks to stop myself. I have no control when I'm like this. I used to be like this for a day then over exercise or not eat at all the following day. Obviously I know that's not healthy so I've retrained my way of thinking and don't do that now I'm doing things the healthy way by calorie counting. Whether that be day by day or week by week.

If it's just a rare day I wouldn't try to compensate - just start over the next day. I do think you might want to look to see if you can identify why you go off the rails, might help to keep you on track.

I get the short thing - I"m 5'1" (ish) and we don't get a lot of calories! I'm currently at 140, heading back to 130 and if I tell MFP I want to lose anything I get 1200 a day. The good news is that even with a desk job I actually lose at 1500 (gross) - slowly but that's okay. So take another look at your calories - even if it's a slower loss it's better than not losing at all or gaining.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    I agree that you should move on and treat the day as a lesson.

MFP gives me 1240 calories and I include exercise calories (which I have entered myself with realistic numbers). I rarely eat under 1200 and my weight loss has been better than my goal of .5 lb/week.

One way that I keep track weekly is to add together the deficit/surplus for each day using a running total. For example:

Saturday: -60
    Sunday +100 (total +40)
    Monday -10 (total +30)
    Tuesday -50 (total -20)

So, in that case, I know I am doing okay 4 days into my week since I am 20 calories under for the week at that point.

It's a method that I am used to using with dollars for monthly budgeting.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    I wouldn't go over Its only 6 days. I'm actually normally really disaplined to be honest and 1200 to me is a lot of food so it won't make a massive difference. Just been a bad day!
    I have heard a lot of people on here saying they weekly count so they can endulge at the weekends. Its not something I've really hears of before mfp so didn't know if it works, obviously the body doesn't reset after 24 hours so no reason why it shouldn't I guess.

You've probably heard experienced members talk about how they save some calories.

You had one really bad day within 8 days of starting.

I would recommend you do the best you can for the rest of the day and then start over tomorrow staying at a calorie deficit.
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 526 Member
    You said it all... it was a bad day. Don't beat yourself up, just learn from it and get back with the program. Bad days happen! Just stay within your range for the rest of the week and you might be surprised and still see a loss. ;-)