What do you do when you're bored of food?

I'm generally pretty okay with eating the same or similar all the time but right now I'm just plum bored and tired of all my standards! When I look up new recipes or something all my brain sees is "oh this will taste like something I've had before and I don't want that". Very uninspired right now and while food doesn't need to rule my life 24/7 I will admit it feels a little unsatisfying to not want to eat anything and risk getting over hungry because nothing sounds good!

Anyone else have this issue before?

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    No, I haven't. Have you cut out a lot of foods and decided you can't eat them for some reason, so that you're having to make all your meals from a limited list of foods? Did you ever have this problem before whatever adopting whatever current WOE (way of eating) you're following right now?
  • Addictead
    Addictead Posts: 66 Member
    No, I haven't. Have you cut out a lot of foods and decided you can't eat them for some reason, so that you're having to make all your meals from a limited list of foods? Did you ever have this problem before whatever adopting whatever current WOE (way of eating) you're following right now?

Nah, I make and eat a VAST amount of food and I don't limit much outside of some intolerance but believe me I make up for that with lots of choices. Mmh it has happened before but it didn't feel as extreme as this time around, Before it was because I was eating the exact same thing 2 out of 3 meals and just changing that up helped. But now it's like NOTHING is interesting or sounds good.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    What are you eating?

I'm really happy with my pescatarian diet. Every week, I make it a point to try two new foods, typically either veggies or fish. I'm nowhere near getting bored.

Maybe you're just not rotating enough different foods?
  • Addictead
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    What are you eating?

I'm really happy with my pescatarian diet. Every week, I make it a point to try two new foods, typically either veggies or fish. I'm nowhere near getting bored.

Breakfast are usually sweet. Homemade bread, goat cheese, lots and lots of fruit, smoothies, cottage cheese/yogurt, nut butter, oatmeal. And spiecal occasion foods like pastry or pancakes

Lunches are a mix of the breakfast offering and savory stuff like eggs, salad, leftovers, Tuna salad, any cheese, bacon, Mac and cheese.

Dinners are mainly carb(sweet potatoes, couscous, rice, bread)+protein(chicken, quail, eggs, pork, beef, fish, all beans and peas)+veg(any thing in season) plus extras like sour cream, cheese, oils ect

Snacks are almost exclusively fruit or vegtables

Like I said, A lot in rotation but now that I recall this most of my first two meals are almost always "assembling" lately. Like cut some bread, spread something, put something on top(nut butter and banana! I've ate that SO much recently) I rarely cook or prep for them maybe I'm craving meals..
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    During the summer my cravings seem to vanish. I say "seem" because it still feels like I want something but I don't know what it is. Maybe that is just habit and I really don't want anything. I have no idea. It can be pretty frustrating at times.

I also do this things where I think I want something but then I am not interested in eating it. I just did it. I thought I was in the mood for baked beans so I picked up a small can at the store. I got them out today and I was so meh about it I put them back in the cabinet. If they were much cheaper on calories I might have eaten them anyway. Maybe I will want them in the near future... I don't know.

I am not bored though. I just don't care. I still eat a variety of food and I enjoy it but I am not that invested in it right now and I am not inspired to do anything new for myself. It will pass when it cools down.
  • LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 841 Member
    I have food boredom sometimes, whether due to budget constraints or just getting tired of making the same thing over and over.

I usually counter it by making a new recipe (looking for foods types you don't eat often helps--I've been making a lot of Thai, German, and Indian food, which are pretty new to me) or by trying a new fruit or veggie that I've never tried before. I found a little market down the road that has all kinds of awesome produce, including my new favorite casaba melon :)
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Change things up. New recipes are just a Google search away. You could rotate in a couple of new dinners each week.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    between cookbooks and a variety of spices and herbs, i avoid food boredom.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Addictead wrote: »
    What are you eating?

Breakfast are usually sweet. Homemade bread, goat cheese, lots and lots of fruit, smoothies, cottage cheese/yogurt, nut butter, oatmeal. And spiecal occasion foods like pastry or pancakes

Lunches are a mix of the breakfast offering and savory stuff like eggs, salad, leftovers, Tuna salad, any cheese, bacon, Mac and cheese.

Dinners are mainly carb(sweet potatoes, couscous, rice, bread)+protein(chicken, quail, eggs, pork, beef, fish, all beans and peas)+veg(any thing in season) plus extras like sour cream, cheese, oils ect

Like I said, A lot in rotation but now that I recall this most of my first two meals are almost always "assembling" lately. Like cut some bread, spread something, put something on top(nut butter and banana! I've ate that SO much recently) I rarely cook or prep for them maybe I'm craving meals..

I find it hard to get out of my comfort zone when it comes to food. Maybe try another culture's cuisine and get into different meal makeups rather than just different things within the same categories?
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,902 Member
    Addictead wrote: »
    What are you eating?

I find it hard to get out of my comfort zone when it comes to food. Maybe try another culture's cuisine and get into different meal makeups rather than just different things within the same categories?

You beat me to it lol. There's a whole world full of culinary delights from all over the globe just a google search away. :)
  • Addictead
    I'm trying out a few new things today, I think it's helping!
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,097 Member
    I don't necessarily get bored with food. I do however get tired of deciding what I want to eat. I have times when nothing appeals to me.
  • Zodikosis
    Zodikosis Posts: 149 Member
    One of my favorite things to do when I'm in a cooking rut is to pick a random ingredient I've never tried or cooked before, go on All Recipes, and then look up a four or five star recipe that features that ingredient. There are surely so many foods out there all over the world that you've never tried before. Go to your local international market (or take a walk to the Amazon aisle) and just pick one to get started!
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Couple things I thought of when I read what you are eating ... maybe try and breakfast casserole. You can put in lots of veggies, eggs, cheeses, even make a crust or put in some tater tots (they cook and shred like hashbrowns when it's cooked). Or something savory like a rump roast in the crockpot with potatoes, carrots, onion, etc.. Tacos? And like another poster(s) mention maybe switch up the spices you are using on your protein could be enough.
  • mwoltermann
    mwoltermann Posts: 15 Member
    when Im full I can get like that. When I get hungry...well everything sounds good haha

I'll admit..I just get tired of meal planning. Sometimes a girl needs a break and will just order some sushi for the night.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Same as a lot of others here, I usually try new-to-me recipes to mix it up.
    Another thing that really helps me is going to different grocery stores than my usual. I almost always find something different, and even if it's something I haven't had in years (but like) I consider that a win.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    I don't necessarily get bored with food. I do however get tired of deciding what I want to eat. I have times when nothing appeals to me.

This ^^ for me it’s about weighing the risk/reward over one food or another... I hate the idea of eating something and thinking afterward “shoot... i blew all my calories on X when I should have had Y”
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Annie_01 wrote: »

I'm especially like this in the morning. I haven't eaten for about 14 hours and I'm extremely hungry, but absolutely nothing sounds good. I really struggle with eating breakfast.
    It's not quite so bad at lunch although some days I put it off too long because I can't decide.
    Dinner is already planned, so that's easiest.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    I can get burned out on one food if I eat it too much. But this happens, because I find a new recipe I love... Eat it for almost every day for three weeks, then get sick of it. It's a vicious cycle I live, lol.

I can always find new recipes and flavor combinations I haven't tried. For the last two years, I've been going through an Afghanistan and Spain food phase; a few years back it was Indian and Ethiopian dishes, etc.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    During the summer my cravings seem to vanish. I say "seem" because it still feels like I want something but I don't know what it is. Maybe that is just habit and I really don't want anything. I have no idea. It can be pretty frustrating at times.

I also do this things where I think I want something but then I am not interested in eating it. I just did it. I thought I was in the mood for baked beans so I picked up a small can at the store. I got them out today and I was so meh about it I put them back in the cabinet. If they were much cheaper on calories I might have eaten them anyway. Maybe I will want them in the near future... I don't know.

I am not bored though. I just don't care. I still eat a variety of food and I enjoy it but I am not that invested in it right now and I am not inspired to do anything new for myself. It will pass when it cools down.

Speaking of summer, @Addictead is it summer where you are and are you in air conditioning? Heat and no AC really depresses my appetite.

As can depression, come to think of it.