Caloric cakes?!

Replies

• sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,699 MFP Moderator
    wmweeza wrote: »
    The first time I actually weighed my beloved peanut butter, I cried.

I still have it occasionally but gone are the days of just spooning it out of the jar!

I use PB2 powdered peanut butter. Mix with a bit of water or add to foods and it quells my PB cravings
    Is that lower cal!?! I didn’t realise

I didn't either until a friend pointed out that they remove most of the oils in the drying process, therefore a lot of the fat calories. According to the database, 2 Tbsp of PB2 is about 45-50 calories. I'm not sure if that's dry powder or the weight after you mix with water. 2 Tbsp of a regular PB, depending on brand and ingredients, is 140-190 calories. Either way, the difference is pretty crazy.

@wmweeza do you find it fills you up too in addition to satisfying the craving? One reason I like peanut butter on a spoon right out of the jar ( @snickerscharlie :) ) is that when I am feeling hungry it helps satisfy hunger AND the PB craving

+1 for granola sadness :(
  • DrusiliaDD
    DrusiliaDD Posts: 71 Member
    Oven fries, I'd need like a 200g serving along with the rest of my meal to feel satisfied and that's like 400 calories. Not worth it for me. Also oven pizzas, a minimum of 800 calories for something not even particularly filling.
  • MoKaaz
    MoKaaz Posts: 162 Member
    I was surprised at how many calories were in just a handful of nuts, whether that be peanuts or cashew nuts. I don't entirely leave them out of my diet but I certainly cut down on them. Fruit juices were also quite a shock, I have juice as a treat now rather than a staple.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    I do pb2 when I want a peanut buttery flavour to something without the extra cals--smoothies, in my oatmeal, etc. It's pretty good. Still love real peanut butter though.

Seconding granola. Also pesto.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Chocolate. My whole family have a sweet tooth and there was always chocolate in the house. I still find a way to get it in but now I'm aware of just how calorific it can be.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member

I still have it occasionally but gone are the days of just spooning it out of the jar!

I use PB2 powdered peanut butter. Mix with a bit of water or add to foods and it quells my PB cravings

I didn't either until a friend pointed out that they remove most of the oils in the drying process, therefore a lot of the fat calories. According to the database, 2 Tbsp of PB2 is about 45-50 calories. I'm not sure if that's dry powder or the weight after you mix with water. 2 Tbsp of a regular PB, depending on brand and ingredients, is 140-190 calories. Either way, the difference is pretty crazy.

@wmweeza do you find it fills you up too in addition to satisfying the craving? One reason I like peanut butter on a spoon right out of the jar ( @snickerscharlie :) ) is that when I am feeling hungry it helps satisfy hunger AND the PB craving

Where can I get it from???
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,324 Member
    Most grocery stores have P2B (or one of the similar brands).
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    My favorite bread is 110 cal per slice. I am trying to find one that I like and can afford that is 60 cal or less.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,387 Member
    @boldknee I was eating Dave’s Killer bread, and then one day it hit me I could have two slices of WhiteWheat or two of fiber bread for 110 calories total. Helllloooo two BLTs for a once in a while treat. Hellllllooo French toast.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member

IMO, it's also lower taste, and expensive.

I still eat real PB, just less of it and less often. I did give up my daily PB and banana smoothies :'(
  • speyerj
    speyerj Posts: 1,369 Member
    Doughnuts, store bought cake and cupcakes, inferior cookies, mass produced american chocolate - none of it is worth it. Now, homemade baked goods or really good chocolate - that's worth logging.

And I agree about Granola - who knew?? It seemed so innocent with the rolled oats and flax seeds.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

IMO, it's also lower taste, and expensive.

I still eat real PB, just less of it and less often. I did give up my daily PB and banana smoothies :'(

I would agree with this. I can use PB2 in something I just want some PB flavor in, like a smoothie or yogurt that already has a bit of fat. But to me, part of the awesomeness of nut butter comes from the texture, and that comes from the fat.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    edited August 2019
    French fries! I mean I'm not an idiot, I knew they weren't like eating a salad. But one time I had some extra calories available and so decided to grab some Arby's. I was not expecting a small curly fry to be as many calories as a whole sandwich. Stupid delicious fried potatoes!

I was pretty floored by that too. I used to get chicken fingers and fries for lunch from this one restaurant and somehow the fries have more calories than breaded fried chicken. :(

I oven roast my own now.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    Definitely pasta. Especially when I realised that all the nutrition info was for cooked pasta not dry weight. I'd happily weigh 100g (dried) and then throw in an extra handful. I've just cooked 60g of conchiglie (to fit my available calories) and it was hardly worth using my medium-sized saucepan.

However, when I pre-logged my meal, I'd picked the Sacla pesto from my Most Frequent list. When I got the jar out of the cupboard, I realised I'd bought the reduced fat version and instead of 32g being something like 135 calories, it was 63. If I'd known that earlier, I'd have had more pasta! Adding more chopped courgette to the diced chicken I was stir-frying wasn't quite the same.
  • Hyacinth_Hippo
    Hyacinth_Hippo Posts: 51 Member
    almost everything surprised me when I got a food scale! I decided that caramel popcorn (or any candy coated popcorn) was just not worth it! I was also shocked by how many calories are in the dessert type yogurts and how much of those calories are just sugar
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Calorie counts for many of the fast food dairy desserts blew me away and pretty much eliminated them. Specifically DQ Blizzards (honestly any of the DQ stuff except for a mini sundae or a plain cone) and McD's shakes. I mean, they're good, but they're not that good.

I'm the type of person who can weigh out one serving of Ben & Jerry's, fit it in my calories and be satisfied. So no reason to put a small container of frozen dessert in my hand with like 800-1000 cals I can suck down without a second thought, after I've already eaten a decent amount of calories in my meal! I of course knew they weren't diet food, but until I understood calories and started looking at that info, I had no idea how crazy the numbers were.
  • GrizzledSquirrel
    GrizzledSquirrel Posts: 120 Member
    I’m shocked by the calories in a lot of stuff, but the one that simply isn’t worth it for me is pasta. It’s the one thing I just avoid. Mainly because:
    - I can smash several portions in one sitting because it is so delicious and comforting
    - I can’t help but match it in its weight with cheese and/or olive oil
    - It doesn’t even touch the sides, so I always overeat it, leaving me feeling overfull, sad and guilty
    - A few hours later, it’s like I inhaled air and I am hungry again.

Zero upside for me. Wish I could eat it in moderation, but it’s easier as a no-go.

Sad.
  • GrizzledSquirrel
    GrizzledSquirrel Posts: 120 Member
    ghudson92 wrote: »
    Peanut butter. Pasta. Bread. Ice cream. Chocolate. Gin. Everything that brings me joy makes me fat :'(

Gin and a slimline is like 60 cals. Go wild with a few slices of cucumber too. Total booze bargain IMO. Fill your boots!

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    almost everything surprised me when I got a food scale! I decided that caramel popcorn (or any candy coated popcorn) was just not worth it! I was also shocked by how many calories are in the dessert type yogurts and how much of those calories are just sugar

Carmel corn is probably the one thing that I've decided to nearly cut out from my diet. I will eat it on occasion, but that's only if I've exercised a large amount that day and have an excessively large amount of calories left, or did the same the day prior but didn't eat back enough calories. I have weighed out portions of caramel corn before and yeah - those are some small portions.

That said, I might try my trick of keeping portions in the car and bringing one inside once a day. I don't typically eat in the car and I don't enjoy going to the car just to get a snack from it thus it works for me.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,526 Member
    Peanut butter and ice cream. I had a Costco cranberry orange scone recently and almost threw it up when I saw it was around 550 calories, it was good but not half a day worth of calories good!