Strength/running workout

I found this sample workout for runners. My question is, if I just Strength train on day 3 and run on days 2,4&6 with rest on 7, does that make sense?

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    What's your current fitness level? How many runs are you doing now and what's your distance (for each run and for the week)?

There are many ways to do this but it really depends on your current situation and what your goals are.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    I would strength train and run as written in most cases.

One case being new to running, others would be more dependant on goal(s).

I think that template is rather good for running and mixing in a minimum of strength training.
  • aaronmoze
    aaronmoze Posts: 3 Member
    dewd2 wrote: »
    What's your current fitness level? How many runs are you doing now and what's your distance (for each run and for the week)?

There are many ways to do this but it really depends on your current situation and what your goals are.

I’m in the middle of a couch to 5k program. I get in 2-3 run/walk a week. My legs are weak overall so I feel like it is making the effort harder. That’s why I’m trying to add in some strength training.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    aaronmoze wrote: »

I’m in the middle of a couch to 5k program. I get in 2-3 run/walk a week. My legs are weak overall so I feel like it is making the effort harder. That’s why I’m trying to add in some strength training.

Total body twice a week would be my recommendation. And stick with the couch to 5k plan (don't do the tempo runs and other advanced stuff in that graphic).
  • RubyDarling
    RubyDarling Posts: 171 Member
    Check how your lower body pulls up after a heavy legs session. I'm training for a half marathon, while maintaining most of my weight training, and I've almost entirely stopped training lower body as my legs just can't take it and it was impacting my ability to complete my long runs. My poor hammies take daaaaaays to recover.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    aaronmoze wrote: »

If you've not finished c25k then you are way off of doing tempo runs, etc. I would graduate c25k and then maybe do c210k before thinking about this sort of plan (unless you are training for a specific event and then you would need to follow a plan for that distance.

Strength training though is good to add in, if running is your goal then do you runs as a priority, but I would recommend following an established lifting program. I started out with stronglifts 5x5, then moved on when I plateaued and I add in accessory work afterwards.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    I waited until after c25k to add in strength training simply because during the program my legs were too worn out and needed complete rest in my rest days. By the time I finished c25k my legs were more conditioned to the impact from running and I could do more. I believe the NHS has strength and flexibility workouts on their site that support c25k if you are looking for something targeted at beginner runners. I started working on beginner strength training from HASfit on YouTube over the past several weeks and also found some beginner yoga videos that are targeted toward runners that are helping me while I complete the b210k program.