Need recipe ideas!

M3lma3
M3lma3 Posts: 23 Member
I mainly use chicken breast, eggs, canned tuna (in moderation), and ground turkey, turkey bacon for my lean meats

Asparagus
50/50 spring/spinach mix
baby carrots
mini sweet peppers
apples
almond butter
Broccoli

Cottage cheese w/ frozen fruit

My problem is I am just making the same things over and over again and I'm getting tired of eating the same meals. I often don't have a lot of time to cook between work and working out, any easy delicious ideas?

Replies

• Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,476 Member
    If you like sweet potatoes, check out Well Plated turkey sweet potato chili. It uses chipotle pepper and has good flavor, plus calories aren't too bad.
  • Zhenmentality
    Zhenmentality Posts: 11 Member
    1)Bell pepper bake in muffin tins! Slice off the top, Crack an egg and bake in the oven for 20min. You can freeze them for up to 2wk! Not positive on degrees to set it to, 315° I think. Sprinkle whatever spices you want before popping in the oven and/ or grate some cheese on top!

2) Wraps are also a great make ahead go to for me! Use lettuce/ rice paper for lower carb options or stick w/ tortillas for higher carbs. Can also freeze them and make a variety; some w/ each diff protein source.
  • Zhenmentality
    Zhenmentality Posts: 11 Member
    Also, nutritional yeast (I like the ground up kind as opposed to big flakes) sprinkled on everything adds extra protein!
  • melissaduthler1
    melissaduthler1 Posts: 5 Member
    Skinny chicken parmesan. Cut the chicken breast lengthwise so it looks like you have 2 breasts instead of 1. Melt a little butter in 1 bowl, then 3/4 c of Italian bread crumbs, 1/4c of parmesan. I like to add garlic and black pepper also. Dip the chicken in the butter then breadcrumbs and put on a sprayed cookie sheet. Spray the breasts with a small amount of your cooking spray and bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes. Top with your favorite spaghetti sauce and a small amount of mozzarella and bake until melted. I serve it with a side of broccoli and cottage cheese. You can also do a side salad.
  • melissaduthler1
    melissaduthler1 Posts: 5 Member
    Turkey taco salads are another good one. Ground Turkey seasoned with taco seasoning. I like my mixed greens with a small amount of cheddar, red and green peppers, black beans, corn and salsa.
  • M3lma3
    Skinny chicken parmesan. Cut the chicken breast lengthwise so it looks like you have 2 breasts instead of 1. Melt a little butter in 1 bowl, then 3/4 c of Italian bread crumbs, 1/4c of parmesan. I like to add garlic and black pepper also. Dip the chicken in the butter then breadcrumbs and put on a sprayed cookie sheet. Spray the breasts with a small amount of your cooking spray and bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes. Top with your favorite spaghetti sauce and a small amount of mozzarella and bake until melted. I serve it with a side of broccoli and cottage cheese. You can also do a side salad.

That sounds amazing, going to try all of this but this one might be a new favorite!
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    When I go grocery shopping, I pick up two items I've never had before, usually vegetables or seafood. This allows me to broaden my wheelhouse. Try it. ☺
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    With ground turkey, you can make so many delicious things! Turkey burgers, meatballs with a huge variety of different sauces (marinara, barbecue, Asian inspired like hoisin or honey sriracha, cream sauce, Thai peanut sauce...), turkey chili (so many different easy recipes online!)

If you go the meatball route, I highly recommend roasted spaghetti squash as a pairing. It’s so easy!!
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 839 Member
    I have been doing spaghetti squash lately. Making lasagna spaghetti squash bake or add a meat sauce to spaghetti squash.
  • M3lma3
    I need to try spaghetti squash! Just have to figure out how to make it. I was raised on big portions of lots of pasta so eating healthy is definitely a new ball park for me :)
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited August 2019
    M3lma3 wrote: »
    I need to try spaghetti squash! Just have to figure out how to make it. I was raised on big portions of lots of pasta so eating healthy is definitely a new ball park for me :)

@M3lma3

I like it sliced into rings, salt and peppered, baked on lightly greased olive oil and a light drizzle on top.

After baked, take a fork and pull at the insides. It comes out like pasta textured (al dente).

There's plenty of good videos with tips.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Looking to add diversity to menu...I suggest joining some of the food groups on here with recipes.

The recipe swap group isn't very active, but pages and pages of threads with recipes.
  • jennaheft
    jennaheft Posts: 8 Member
    Stuffed portabella mushroom caps are great too! There are so many variations and ways to keep it interesting... Italian style with ground turkey and red sauce, Mexican style with ground turkey, corn & taco seasoning or lately I’ve been doing crab meat mixed with 2 tablespoons of cream cheese. Sooo good!
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Well, your current proteins are substantial, flavorful, and traditional. I predict you will not convert to substitute products for your proteins. So enhance the choices you have already made.

Chicken breast is the lowest calorie choice but also the most boring. Try switching to skinless, boneless chicken thighs, or rotisserie turkey breast. Ahi (yellow Fin) tuna from Sam's club was 8 4oz filets for $15.98 regular price and compared to canned tuna, it is from heaven. Just don't over cook it. And, finally, chicken breakfast or Italian sausages will be a break from turkey bacon.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    I subscribe to emails from allrecipes.com and americastestkitchen.com and get more recipes than I can possible use.

allrecipes.com has an Ingredient feature in its search. So you could put in chicken and asparagus and see what you get.

What springs to mind for me is a chicken, asparagus, & sweet pepper stir fry, served with rice. To reduce the oil I need for stir fries, I use a non stick pan.
  • jennaheft
    jennaheft Posts: 8 Member
    Steak & Cheese Stuffed Portabella Mushroom - Steak (2.7 oz), onions, peppers, 1 tbsp cream cheese & 1 slice Muenster cheese. Total 372 calories.

m30nj0l44nv8.jpeg
  • Emmapatterson1729
    jennaheft wrote: »
    Steak & Cheese Stuffed Portabella Mushroom - Steak (2.7 oz), onions, peppers, 1 tbsp cream cheese & 1 slice Muenster cheese. Total 372 calories.

m30nj0l44nv8.jpeg

That looks delicious!!!