Help understanding veggies

I have a question for you all if you dont mind. I started my weight lose today. Im 374.2 pounds this morning.
My question/s
Every time i try and lose weight my brain always goes you need oatmeal for breakfast and a boat load of veggies and i know you dont but for some reason my brain goes there. Example today for lunch i had 1 egg on a bagel with cheese, tomatoes, lettuce and mayo. So that should been good but the boad liads of veggies kick in so i had 6 grape tomatoes(huge) 7 baby carrots and half an english cucumber on the side. Now 3 hours later i have a head ache and my blood pressure is higher then this morning('I have high blood pressure and am on a med).

Sorry now my question. For the members who meal prep to lose weight or even not to lose weight do you force eat veggies, do you have a set amount to eat. Would any members mind sharing your meals just so i can try to get it in my head i dont need boat loads of veggies just some to start.

Sorry for the long post.

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    I'm not a big vegetable eater, I just eat the ones I like and probably not that often. Take it one step at a time, and slowly introduce vegetables for nutrition's sake, but you don't need them for weight loss if you're satiated with other foods.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    I'm not a big vegetable eater, I just eat the ones I like and probably not that often. Take it one step at a time, and slowly introduce vegetables for nutrition's sake, but you don't need them for weight loss if you're satiated with other foods.

Same. I go up and down with eating a lot of fruit to not much but I'm not a big vegetable eater in general. I am still successfully losing weight though because I have generally learned what foods can keep me satiated at lower quantity. Generally when I add vegetables it is for variety, nutrition, or a need for low calorie higher volume food because my more usual foods aren't cutting it.

Today I'm having: chai latte, Greek yogurt, cheddar, deli ham, avocado, sourdough bread, a peach; and a goat cheese quesadilla with black beans, corn, and bell pepper; and salsa on top. That puts me at ~1400 calories. I will probably have blueberry pie for dessert and still be within or very close to my calorie goal.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    I fill out the food diary a few days in advance. Unless I'm trying out a new food and don't know if I like it yet, I love everything on my menu. Some veggies and fish I only have every few weeks so it gets me excited for that day.

I use a variety of dressings for my salads so they don't get boring.

Eat it. Enjoy it. Log it. 💚
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Like people said, it's about creating a deficit. I personally don't eat what I think to be a lot of vegetables but have been able to lose over 60 lbs (currently my weight is bouncing around but not due to how many vegetables I consume).

Today is/will be fairly typical meal wise.
    Breakfast: Two bialys with butter and a canelle
    Lunch: 1 salmon burger (without any) and I'll probably eat the last of my tomato corn salad
    Dinner: More salmon (because it needs to be cooked), roasted along with potatoes.
    Snacks/dessert: Hazelnuts, peach muffin, probably the rest of the huckleberries I have, probably an apple
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    I eat many vegetables like romaine and grated carrots and cucumbers and tomatoes to fill myself up. I enjoy steelcut oats most days either for breakfast or lunch and a bonus is that they fill me up. Or an omelet with mushrooms, scallions, peppers and a tablespoon of cheese.

I eat lots too of vegetables because I need to feel full. If I don’t I want to snack. That’s just me though. I’ve no idea why your blood pressure is up and you’ve got a headache. I get a headache if I cut down on coffee and haven’t drank enough water.

Sorry, I’ve likely been no help. Maybe see your doctor?
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    If possible, OP... can you clarify? Are you not logging and counting veggies? Your post makes it sound like you are asking if others "force eat" veggies in addition to their other logged and tracked food. If you are trying to eat veggies in addition to what you are logging and not logging the veggies, it might explain quite a bit in addition to the aforementioned double dipping in exercise calories.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,157 Member
    I’ve lost 60 pounds and maintained that loss for over 3 years now and eat only a minimal amount of produce. I have difficulties digesting fiber, so “force eating” vegetables wouldn’t be an option for me even if it *were* the only way on the entire planet of Earth to lose weight.

Just keep in mind that misery burns no calories and you have to make weight loss sustainable. If you don’t intend to choke down mass amounts of vegetables at every meal for the rest of your life, it probably shouldn’t be a part of your weight loss plan.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Not only do you not have to eat vegetables, you don’t have to eat oatmeal—ever. Lots of people say it keeps them full from breakfast to lunch time. Others of us say no way. I myself need more protein for breakfast, so usually eggs and bacon, sausage, or ham for breakfast. I do eat oatmeal for a late night snack in the winter. Warms me up and fills me up until I am asleep.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited August 2019
    Agree with all others, you do not need to eat veggies to lose weight. I see a lot of different eating styles on here all losing weight, high carbs, low carbs, low fat, high fat, vegetarian, carnivore, etc.

Find what fills you up and still meets within your calorie goal.

Start light and take it slow.
    After you lose some, you may want to make dietary changes for health. And add in a light 20-25 minutes of exercise 3 days a week. Getting healthy (medical wise) starts with getting started losing the weight. You'll naturally feel better as your weight drops! ;)

I personally love veggies and don't have to force them. I just cook them into almost every meal. It doesn't take a lot to hit my nutritional values. A little bit of frozen sliced mixed bell peppers sauteed in a skillet before I throw my morning egg in it (can make this into an omelet or a scramble), hits my vitamin C for the day.

Or when my baking chicken has 10 minutes left, I'll throw a cup of broccoli in with it. Really makes my broccoli very flavorful!

Good luck, you'll figure out what works for you!!
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    OP, I think you get the picture now from all the great comments about not eating quantities of veggies and oatmeal for losing weight. All you need is to eat less calories than your body burns for losing weight. What you eat is up to you. Nutrition is an important part of health though, and including foods from all food groups is beneficial. Weigh, measure, and log everything you eat and drink, and stay at a calorie deficit and you will lose weight. It’s not necessary to exercise for weight loss, but anything you can do to move more benefits overall health.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    Not only do you not have to eat vegetables, you don’t have to eat oatmeal—ever. Lots of people say it keeps them full from breakfast to lunch time. Others of us say no way. I myself need more protein for breakfast, so usually eggs and bacon, sausage, or ham for breakfast. I do eat oatmeal for a late night snack in the winter. Warms me up and fills me up until I am asleep.

Yeah, when I was living at a yoga community we had oatmeal 6 days a week and I feel nauseous even thinking about the stuff now. I've had oatmeal maybe twice since 2004. I need more protein for breakfast anyway.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    There’s nothing inherently wrong with vegetables.

I think you are susceptible to all-or-nothing thinking.

http://cogbtherapy.com/cbt-blog/cognitive-distortions-all-or-nothing-thinking

Too much of a good thing is not good any more.

One cup of hot cocoa will not break your diet and a boatload of vegetables won’t erase the fat.

I suggest start measuring out the recommended portions of all your favourite meals. Get used to what a decent portion is. And continue enjoying your foods in moderation.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited August 2019
    OP, from your post I assume you are T2Dm? Looking at your meal, I would suggest only eating half a bagel. A whole bagel is a lot of food and a lot of carbs so that could easily be why your blood sugar went so high. Have you taken the classes and had the Registered Dietician consult that usually comes with a diagnosis? They should give you more ideas how to eat for the disease but still eat foods you enjoy.

I am T2Dm. I have learned the foods I need to limit (one fruit serving per day, sandwiches are on 1 slice of bread instead of 2, egg is on 1/2 English muffin and I save the other 1/2 until the next morning. etc). I do not limit veggies but seek ways to include them as much as possible, but don't force myself to eat them. As you log your food and continue to test your blood sugar you will figure out what works for you. Don't feel obligated to eat a ton of veggies, but try to keep some in your diet.
  • TheChristianSimone
    TheChristianSimone Posts: 156 Member
    I think people think veggies is healthy but I think now those who have a large amount to lose they fixate on trivial. Its a process you may as time goes on change your palette and like to try things. Just focus on getting in deficit and go forward